FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to install Android on your Switch, step-by-step.

111 posts
Thanks Meter: 85

By gorei23, Senior Member on 28th July 2019, 03:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This guide was created for people who are not as familiar with the world of Switch exploits.

NOTE: This is not the official ROM thread! DO NOT ask questions about using, troubleshooting, etc. the ROM here. I will not be able to help you and it splits discussion. Please ask questions, tips, etc, in the official thread! This post is purely to guide users in setting up their PC and such for installing this on their Switch.

DISCLAIMER: Everything is done at your own risk. Use common sense.

What you will need:
  1. An RCM exploitable Switch console. Check here to see if your device is exploitable. If you have a newer device an exploit may be possible on older firmwares, but if you haven't already set it up you probably updated to a too new version already. Read more here. (for non-RCM exploitable devices)
  2. A jig or other method of triggering RCM. Here's a few methods. Premade jigs can be found online.
  3. A computer. (Assuming a Windows PC for the purposes of this guide)
  4. A good USB-C cable that can connect to your PC and Switch.
  5. A high quality, high speed microSD card of at least 16GB.
  6. A way to read microSD cards on your PC.

Required downloads:
  1. The ROM, find it in the Downloads section of the first post. Select the SD Card size that matches yours. Read through the post as well for latest information.
  2. GApps, AKA Google Apps. This will install the Play Store and other Google services. Not required but 95% of people will want this. Select ARM64, 8.1, and then any on the right. Hover your mouse over each option for descriptions. If you're not sure just choose Stock.
  3. TegraRcmGUI. This program will push the exploit to your Switch. Grab the latest .msi installer and install it.
  4. balenaEtcher. This program will write the ROM to your SD card.
  5. Hetake. This is the "bootloader" if you will. Once you get to RCM with your jig (or whatever method) this is the payload we'll be sending over.
I recommend putting the ROM, GApps, and Hetake all in one folder so your Downloads folder doesn't get cluttered.

Steps:
  1. Insert your SD card into your PC. Backup anything you need to because all data on the card will be wiped.
  2. Open balenaEthcher. Select the "android-XXgb.img.gz" file you downloaded. In the middle make ABSOLUTELY sure the device selected is the SD card you want to use. You don't want to accidentally destroy some other drive you have attached. Click "flash". This can take a while, especially on larger cards.
  3. Once it's complete you can close balenaEtcher. You should be able to see two new drives in Windows explorer. One will give an error if clicked (Don't click format when Windows asks!) and another is a 2gb partition Windows can read. If these don't appear then reinsert your SD card into your PC. Mine mounted the unreadable partition as D:\ and the readable one as S:\.
  4. Place the GApps .zip file in the root of the 2gb partition. Don't unzip it.
  5. Eject the SD Card from your PC and place it in your Switch.
  6. Unzip the Hetake .zip file.
  7. Use your preferred method of booting into RCM. I posted a link with many methods in the "What you need" list up top. You'll know you're in RCM when the Switch screen stays black and doesn't boot as normal when you hold Power+Vol Up.
  8. Launch TegraRcmGUI. Go to the settings tab and select "Install driver". Go back to the payload tab and select the Hetake .bin file as your payload. Connect your Switch. It should say "RCM OK" in TegraRcmGUI. Now select "Inject Payload". Once you see the GUI on your Switch then you can disconnect it.
  9. Tap "More Configs" and then hold down Vol Up and tap "Switchroot Android". Continue holding Vol Up until you get to the TWRP menu.
  10. Tap "Install", then "Select Storage" (If the dialog box is blank just slide your finger up and down to scroll and it should refresh), then "Micro SD card". Tap the GApps zip and slide the slider to the right. Once finished wipe the Dalvik cache (it will prompt you).
  11. If you get an error installing GApps, go to the Mount option in the main menu and make sure to check "System".
  12. Reboot the device, enter RCM again, and re-inject hetake from your PC. Boot Android again but this time don't hold any buttons.
  13. Your device should boot into android. Congratulations. For setting up anything else, or for questions you may have, use the official thread.
NOTE: This is not the official ROM thread! DO NOT ask questions about using, troubleshooting, etc. the ROM here. I will not be able to help you and it splits discussion. Please ask questions, tips, etc, in the official thread! This post is purely to guide users in setting up their PC and such for installing this on their Switch.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gorei23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gorei23 Ad-Free

28th July 2019, 06:08 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
You are missing the step where you mount the SD card first before installing GApps. GApps install will fail if you do not mount the SD in TWRP first.
28th July 2019, 06:18 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdingway

You are missing the step where you mount the SD card first before installing GApps. GApps install will fail if you do not mount the SD in TWRP first.

Quote:

Tap "Install", then "Select Storage" (If the dialog box is blank just slide your finger up and down to scroll and it should refresh), then "Micro SD card".

That seems to do it for me.
28th July 2019, 06:19 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorei23

That seems to do it for me.

That works for me AFTER I mount the SD card "System" in TWRP
EDIT: You even said it yourself but missed adding it to your guide. Just trying to help

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nin...2#post79971072
28th July 2019, 06:32 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Paper clip
I need a step by step. Cause that parts so confusing...
28th July 2019, 06:38 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdingway

That works for me AFTER I mount the SD card "System" in TWRP
EDIT: You even said it yourself but missed adding it to your guide. Just trying to help

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nin...2#post79971072

Ohhhhh you mean mount the /System partition? I think we had a miscommunication. The "sdcard" is automatically mounted, as shown in the YouTube video I hastily made...

I believe the part about mounting the /System partition is only needed sometimes, depending on what you told TWRP to do with the /System partition on first boot. Got ya.
The Following User Says Thank You to gorei23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gorei23 Ad-Free
28th July 2019, 06:40 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sSHARPZz

I need a step by step. Cause that parts so confusing...

Not much to it. Short pin 9 & 10 and hold down power and vol up. If you can't manage it look into buying a premade jig that does it easily and reliably.
28th July 2019, 06:44 AM |#8  

More
So one side of the paper clip directly on pin 9,10 and the other near a conductive metal? Also there are several options on amazon. (Quickest shopping method) any chance you can point me to the correct one?
28th July 2019, 06:49 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sSHARPZz

So one side of the paper clip directly on pin 9,10 and the other near a conductive metal? Also there are several options on amazon. (Quickest shopping method) any chance you can point me to the correct one?

Just shorting 9&10 should do it. They're just plastic with a tiny piece of metal inside. Just find one with good reviews.
28th July 2019, 11:44 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 145

More
What's the best way to boot into recovery, this is my first time trying to do anything in relation to modding my switch, any help will be highly appreciated!
28th July 2019, 12:11 PM |#11  

More
everything is working but my joycons wont connect any ideas?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, beginner, guide, switchroot

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)