FORUMS

How to OTA update to 9.0 Pie before its rolled out to your country (VPN Trick)

18 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

Post Reply Email Thread
This was posted in other Nokia phone forums before but I thought I would put one here based on information I've obtained myself.
Tested by myself on a TA-1060. Should work with other models but I'm not guaranteeing it.
I claim no responsibility for anything that might happen to your device if you update. Updating with modified boot (Magisk/custom kernel) or custom recovery (TWRP) may render your device unusable until you flash stock firmware.
Some of these steps might not be needed, they are simply what worked for me. Feel free to optimize the list if you want.

First of all, check for updates. If it's available in your country congrats you don't need to do anything.
If not:
  1. Remove all SIM cards from your device. This is important because the device will get country information from SIM if one is present.
  2. Download a free VPN app (ExpressVPN and ProtonVPN are good ones I recommend). I personally used ProtonVPN.
  3. If your VPN app has a setting to block internet until the VPN connects, enable that. Also enable connecting on startup if you can. If not, remember to turn the VPN on as the first thing you do after booting later.
  4. Setup your VPN so it will connect to a country that the update has rolled out to. I used India, some other countries like Netherlands may also work.
  5. Disable WiFi.
  6. Go to Settings and delete App Data from the following apps:
    • Google Play Services
    • Google Services Framework (Enable "Show system" on the menu)
    • Software Update
  7. Reboot your device.
  8. Connect to WiFi and make sure your VPN is connected as soon as possible.
  9. Check for updates.

If it all worked, you should be offered the Pie 9.0 update and can install it as normal.
Do not insert your SIM until the update has completed or it may cancel it. Once you've booted into Pie successfully, you can reinsert your SIM card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190709-194054.png
Views:	292
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	4789672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190709-202349.png
Views:	284
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	4789691  
14th August 2019, 06:36 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Thx for the info.

Does Pie improve performances in your experience? Otherwise, I don't wanna bother.
14th August 2019, 06:38 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcontt

Thx for the info.

Does Pie improve performances in your experience? Otherwise, I don't wanna bother.

Yes, Pie includes performance optimizations which cause the system to be a lot snappier and to perform better. Obviously it won't perform any miracles (This device is limited by its hardware after all), but from my personal experience there was a noticeable improvement.
Keep in mind that just after the update it will still be doing things in the background, takes a few minutes for it to settle afterwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seriel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Seriel Ad-Free
11th July 2020, 07:35 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks you! It worked for me, i live in Italy and today i did the upgrde to Android 10 go edition. Sorry for my bad english, i'm only 13. Bye
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ota, pie, update, vpn

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)