LineageOS 14.1 on Nokia 3?

Search This thread

wutzkman

Aug 31, 2011
Dear folks,

first of all let me thank you for all the good work in here.
I’m quiet used to ADB, fastboot, unlocked bootloaders, TWRP, Custom Roms etc since I've been routing my HTCs for couple years by now.
The other day a friend of mine, owner of a Nokia 3, asked me, if I could possibly “ungoogle” his phone. My idea was it to clean-install LineageOS, since it comes without GApps in first place.
That being said I found some instructions on the internet how to do it – not here at xda though.

I. What I did at first:
I unlocked the bootloader, getting the “orange state”-warning.
I flashed TWRP, removed encryption and installed LineageOS.

Result: Nothing – device wouldn’t boot. :D

Then I thought I had to relock the bootloader, so that’s what I did and I got the “red state”-error. :angel:
So I ended up flashing original FW with OST. :good:
Ever since that, the bootloader had that “orange state”-warning, no matter what I tried. It is unlocked already. Even flashing the stock boot I found in here gave me that warning. Relocking bootloader fails. But I learned, that “orange state” is still OK. Is that true?

II. What I did next:
I considered if the bootloader is not the problem, maybe recovery is.
So from fastboot I booted TWRP.img, leaving the original recovery untouched, removed encryption and installed LineageOS.

Result: Nothing – device wouldn’t boot.:rolleyes:

Since I didn’t really know what the problem was I ended up flashing original FW with OST.:rolleyes:

III. What I did next:
I considered that recovery CAN’T be the problem, since it was untouched. Is that true?
So it had to be the bootloader.
I booted original FW, installed Magisk Manager, created a patched boot.
The I booted into TWRP, removed encryption, installed LineageOS, flashed the patched boot.

Result: Nothing - device wouldn’t boot.:(

Now here it could be the point that my “stock boot” could have been broken in first place already, since it had the “orange state” ever since (see I.) Could this be the problem? If yes, how could I overcome this issue? Flashing the stock boot from xda didn’t help (see also I.) Since I didn’t really know what the problem was I ended up flashing original FW with OST.:(

IV. What I did next:
I flashed TWRP with SP Flash (Thanks for the wonderful guide @SkaboXD) to keep my locked/untouched/whatever bootloader (again: bootloader here isn’t locked anymore, no chance for me to relock it).
Then I booted into TWRP, removed encryption, installed LineageOS.

Result: Nothing - device wouldn’t boot.:mad:

Since I didn’t really know what the problem was I ended up flashing original FW with OST. :mad:

Tu sum it up:
I am kind of proud to have reached one and the same goal over many different ways now
But I’ve spent hours of reading through the threads here and trying to find my way and nothing worked. I have never experienced problem like those with my HTCs and could need some serious help now, please.:fingers-crossed:

Q1: Is it even possible install LineageOS on a Nokia 3? That’s what I considered lately. :confused:
If yes: How? What am I doing wrong?
If no: What other options do I have to “ungoogle” the device? Root and manually remove all apps? I’m afraid, I won’t find all and that google is hidden somewhere else as well.

Thank you in advance!

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Dear folks,

I’m quiet used to ADB, fastboot, unlocked bootloaders, TWRP, Custom Roms etc since I've been routing my HTCs for couple years by now.
The other day a friend of mine, owner of a Nokia 3, asked me, if I could possibly “ungoogle” his phone. My idea was it to clean-install LineageOS, since it comes without GApps in first place.
That being said I found some instructions on the internet how to do it – not here at xda though.

I. What I did at first:

Then I thought I had to relock the bootloader, so that’s what I did and I got the “red state”-error. :angel:
Ever since that, the bootloader had that “orange state”-warning, no matter what I tried. It is unlocked already. Even flashing the stock boot I found in here gave me that warning. Relocking bootloader fails. But I learned, that “orange state” is still OK. Is that true?

II. What I did next:
So from fastboot I booted TWRP.img, leaving the original recovery untouched, removed encryption and installed LineageOS.

Since I didn’t really know what the problem was I ended up flashing original FW with OST.:rolleyes:

III. What I did next:
I considered that recovery CAN’T be the problem, since it was untouched. Is that true?
The I booted into TWRP, removed encryption, installed LineageOS, flashed the patched boot.

Now here it could be the point that my “stock boot” could have been broken in first place already, since it had the “orange state” ever since (see I.) Could this be the problem? If yes, how could I overcome this issue? Flashing the stock boot from xda didn’t help (see also I.) Since I didn’t really know what the problem was I ended up flashing original FW with OST.:(

IV. What I did next:
I flashed TWRP with SP Flash (Thanks for the wonderful guide @SkaboXD) to keep my locked/untouched/whatever bootloader (again: bootloader here isn’t locked anymore, no chance for me to relock it).

Since I didn’t really know what the problem was I ended up flashing original FW with OST. :mad:

Tu sum it up:
I am kind of proud to have reached one and the same goal over many different ways now
But I’ve spent hours of reading through the threads here and trying to find my way and nothing worked. I have never experienced problem like those with my HTCs and could need some serious help now, please.:fingers-crossed:

Q1: Is it even possible install LineageOS on a Nokia 3? That’s what I considered lately. :confused:
If no: What other options do I have to “ungoogle” the device? Root and manually remove all apps? I’m afraid, I won’t find all and that google is hidden somewhere else as well.

Thank you in advance!

no it's not possible currently, that ROM doesn't work. The only way is to manually remove apps. You have my thread about manually removing apps here: https://xdaforums.com/nokia-3/how-to/guide-how-apps-uninstall-t3804425

he can also remove google keyboard if he don't like it, but first install 2nd keyboard then remove Gboard. Location: /system/app/LatinIME

Google Play Store: /system/priv-app/Phonesky
Google Play Services: /system/priv-app/GmsCore

There are also more Google stuff that i am not sure is it good to remove.

If i find a way to remove Google apps completely i will tell you. When i get Nokia 3 again, I will maybe make stock based ROM with debloated apps, build.prop tweaks (that actually work), volume steps mode (without Xposed and build.prop), advanced reboot option (not sure on this one), Vanced YouTube, odexed and many more...

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

wutzkman

Aug 31, 2011
no it's not possible currently, that ROM doesn't work. The only way is to manually remove apps. You have my thread about manually removing apps here: https://xdaforums.com/nokia-3/how-to/guide-how-apps-uninstall-t3804425

he can also remove google keyboard if he don't like it, but first install 2nd keyboard then remove Gboard. Location: /system/app/LatinIME

If i find a way to remove Google apps completely i will tell you. When i get Nokia 3 again, I will maybe make stock based ROM with debloated apps, build.prop tweaks (that actually work), volume steps mode (without Xposed and build.prop), advanced reboot option (not sure on this one), Vanced YouTube, odexed and many more...

Stay tuned.

Ok, then I wonder, why someone put instructions for the installation on the internet. What's wrong with people nowadays?

Anyways, thank you very much! At least I know, that I can stop my efforts at this point and it wasn't me being stupid :good:

I will stick to your guide. Does it matter, which version I use? 7.1.1? 8.0? 8.1? My plan now is to update to 8.1 since it comes with the highest security patches and then dig through the whole process of ungoogling the device.

Last one so far: Any idea how to get rid of that orange warning in the bootloader? It's not that big of a deal, but if there is a chance to get rid of it I'd be happy.

Your future plans for the Nokia 3 sound pretty awesome. Let me know when you're done - no pressure here. :)

Reactions: SkaboXD

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Ok, then I wonder, why someone put instructions for the installation on the internet. What's wrong with people nowadays?

Anyways, thank you very much! At least I know, that I can stop my efforts at this point and it wasn't me being stupid :good:

I will stick to your guide. Does it matter, which version I use? 7.1.1? 8.0? 8.1? My plan now is to update to 8.1 since it comes with the highest security patches and then dig through the whole process of ungoogling the device.

Last one so far: Any idea how to get rid of that orange warning in the bootloader? It's not that big of a deal, but if there is a chance to get rid of it I'd be happy.

Your future plans for the Nokia 3 sound pretty awesome. Let me know when you're done - no pressure here. :)

Yeah, i encountered this too when there was no bootloader unlock guides on xda, all were fake, that's why i first check xda before doing anything.

No it doesn't matter, i used Android 7.1.1 December 2017 Security Patch before i gave it to my brother.

No idea, i think we need to modify some partition like aboot and include some changes but not sure currently.

Tnx for support, i will open a thread where we can discuss about changes you want to see in stock modified rom and advices what else i can do.

Reactions: wutzkman

tech2update

Feb 9, 2018

Stay tuned.
better Build a rom based on oreo GO coz mt6737 is completely supported

wutzkman

Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, i encountered this too when there was no bootloader unlock guides on xda, all were fake, that's why i first check xda before doing anything.

No it doesn't matter, i used Android 7.1.1 December 2017 Security Patch before i gave it to my brother.

No idea, i think we need to modify some partition like aboot and include some changes but not sure currently.

Tnx for support, i will open a thread where we can discuss about changes you want to see in stock modified rom and advices what else i can do.

Hi @SkaboXD,

to me it seems you have the most knowledge about rooting a Nokia 3 and always give solide answers, so I'd like to ask you directly. :D

After quite a while now I finally found the delight to spend more time with my friend's Nokia again. I flashed TWRP "successfully" but for whatever reason the phone won't load it. It also doesn't matter which TWRP-version I try. Not even booting directly into TWRP via fastboot boot xxx.img works. Every time I try it starts up stock 8.1. rom. :eek:

Any idea why this could be? What should I do? Reflashing the thing with OST again?
I tried that already^^ but when I started my OST-Tool it asked me for some weird login-data? :confused: It has never done that before.

Furthermore, once I get over that point, I plan to root it with SU, since I want to have a regular root, not a systemless one. Is there anything special to consider? Or will it be just the regular way
Install/Boot TWRP --> flash SU.zip --> boot device --> boom, you're done?

Sorry for the bother and thank you in advance!

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Hi @SkaboXD,

to me it seems you have the most knowledge about rooting a Nokia 3 and always give solide answers, so I'd like to ask you directly. :D

After quite a while now I finally found the delight to spend more time with my friend's Nokia again. I flashed TWRP "successfully" but for whatever reason the phone won't load it. It also doesn't matter which TWRP-version I try. Not even booting directly into TWRP via fastboot boot xxx.img works. Every time I try it starts up stock 8.1. rom. :eek:

Any idea why this could be? What should I do? Reflashing the thing with OST again?
I tried that already^^ but when I started my OST-Tool it asked me for some weird login-data? :confused: It has never done that before.

Furthermore, once I get over that point, I plan to root it with SU, since I want to have a regular root, not a systemless one. Is there anything special to consider? Or will it be just the regular way

hmm, i think that our twrp is not compatible with 8.1 yet, the only method that could work is flashing Magisk (SuperSU won't work, it's depreciated) with my guide but I'm not sure does it work on 8.1, i didn't tested. It would be easier if i have phone, in this moment i can't help much.

wutzkman

Aug 31, 2011
hmm, i think that our twrp is not compatible with 8.1 yet, the only method that could work is flashing Magisk (SuperSU won't work, it's depreciated) with my guide but I'm not sure does it work on 8.1, i didn't tested. It would be easier if i have phone, in this moment i can't help much.

Ok just in general then: I don't give much about the version to be honest. After I fix my OST, I can reflash to 7.1, that's fine.

My thoughts now: Once I'm back to 7.1, I will boot into TWRP, do the whole magisk-magic with patched bootloader and so on...

I) I only know magisk as a systemless root, meaning I cannot delete unwanted apps for example. Is there any chance to get rid of them anyways?

II) I learned when keeping the original recovery, system OTAs are still possible. Will they destroy root?
If yes, I truly need to root at the latest system version possible. Will 8.0 work with root? Or just 7.1?

SkaboXD

Jan 18, 2017
Ganja
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Ok just in general then: I don't give much about the version to be honest. After I fix my OST, I can reflash to 7.1, that's fine.

My thoughts now: Once I'm back to 7.1, I will boot into TWRP, do the whole magisk-magic with patched bootloader and so on...

I) I only know magisk as a systemless root, meaning I cannot delete unwanted apps for example. Is there any chance to get rid of them anyways?

II) I learned when keeping the original recovery, system OTAs are still possible. Will they destroy root?
If yes, I truly need to root at the latest system version possible. Will 8.0 work with root? Or just 7.1?

1.yes you can with systemless root, maybe you got misinformed. In fact i deleted system apps with Magisk.

2.true, 8.0 work with root. OTA will destroy root but you can just flash it again.

redweaver

Nov 25, 2017
Lagos
Hi @SkaboXD,

Yeah, last time I tried booting twrp I had that same problem, device wouldn't enter recovery

fastboot reboot recovery wouldn't work, eventually I flashed the recovery partition and on reboot held down the power and volume down buttons while the phone was plugged to my laptop before it finally entered recovery

wutzkman

Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, last time I tried booting twrp I had that same problem, device wouldn't enter recovery

fastboot reboot recovery wouldn't work, eventually I flashed the recovery partition and on reboot held down the power and volume down buttons while the phone was plugged to my laptop before it finally entered recovery

Did you flash recovery with SPFlash? Because I tried to flash it with fastboot, even before I tried to boot into it. Neither one worked out for me.

Which Android version are you at?

redweaver

Nov 25, 2017
Lagos
Did you flash recovery with SPFlash? Because I tried to flash it with fastboot, even before I tried to boot into it. Neither one worked out for me.

Which Android version are you at?

No I used fastboot. Oreo 8.1. I think something happens during that orange state message that keeps fastboot from booting into recovery.
One other thing you can try - though it's a long route is:
1. first back up boot and recovery partitions with spflash - very important else your phone might not boot again
2. after backing up the partitions, flash the boot partition either with spflash or fastboot then reboot. You should boot into recovery.
3. The only problem is that you would need to manually patch the boot.img if you want to flash magisk (normally flashing magisk patches the boot partition from recovey) then flash the boot partition with the modified boot.img otherwise your phone won't boot anymore

wutzkman

Aug 31, 2011
No I used fastboot. Oreo 8.1. I think something happens during that orange state message that keeps fastboot from booting into recovery.
One other thing you can try - though it's a long route is:
1. first back up boot and recovery partitions with spflash - very important else your phone might not boot again
2. after backing up the partitions, flash the boot partition either with spflash or fastboot then reboot. You should boot into recovery.
3. The only problem is that you would need to manually patch the boot.img if you want to flash magisk (normally flashing magisk patches the boot partition from recovey) then flash the boot partition with the modified boot.img otherwise your phone won't boot anymore

I've wasted quite some time trying root 8.1 with magisk, but no matter what I did, I always ended up with a softbrick. So you got me hooked up here. :cool:

Just to make sure. I flashed FW NE1-215H-0-00WW-B02 (I believe) via OST. (Strange sideeffect here: After flashing the whole new FW with OST, the phone already knew my WiFi and already had Magisk installed, both still from my older installations. I wonder why this is and I have not found a way around it yet :confused: )

After the flashed with OST I had two system updates via OTA, so right now I am on Oreo 8.1 stock with security updates from Jan05 '19, in other words: the latest FW possible. What next? According to you:

1. I back up boot and recovery. You mean stock boot and stock recovery, right? I believe my boot is not stock anymore, since it already has that orange state warning. Any way around it? Flashing stock 7.1.1 boot didn'T do any better. Anyways, any other chance to back it up without SPFlash? I have no clue how to back up boot and recovery with SPFlash.

2. I need to flash boot? Not recovery? What should I flash boot with? And then I will have to boot into recovery, like TWRP for example? Any suggestions which one to take? Currently I want to use TWRP 3.2.1-0 by SkaboXD (https://mega.nz/#!qIhFkKia!AkUMvQJ0P...hlCNaZfy2gE4vE) And that is the point, that is not working for me. I cannot boot directly into it, nor can I boot it after flashing. What am I doing wrong?

3. I have to patch boot.img manually. But how can I patch it without having Magisk installed?

Thank you for your time!

redweaver

Nov 25, 2017
Lagos
I've wasted quite some time trying root 8.1 with magisk, but no matter what I did, I always ended up with a softbrick. So you got me hooked up here. :cool:

Just to make sure. I flashed FW NE1-215H-0-00WW-B02 (I believe) via OST. (Strange sideeffect here: After flashing the whole new FW with OST, the phone already knew my WiFi and already had Magisk installed, both still from my older installations. I wonder why this is and I have not found a way around it yet :confused: )

After the flashed with OST I had two system updates via OTA, so right now I am on Oreo 8.1 stock with security updates from Jan05 '19, in other words: the latest FW possible. What next? According to you:

1. I back up boot and recovery. You mean stock boot and stock recovery, right? I believe my boot is not stock anymore, since it already has that orange state warning. Any way around it? Flashing stock 7.1.1 boot didn'T do any better. Anyways, any other chance to back it up without SPFlash? I have no clue how to back up boot and recovery with SPFlash.

2. I need to flash boot? Not recovery? What should I flash boot with? And then I will have to boot into recovery, like TWRP for example? Any suggestions which one to take? Currently I want to use TWRP 3.2.1-0 by SkaboXD (https://mega.nz/#!qIhFkKia!AkUMvQJ0P...hlCNaZfy2gE4vE) And that is the point, that is not working for me. I cannot boot directly into it, nor can I boot it after flashing. What am I doing wrong?

3. I have to patch boot.img manually. But how can I patch it without having Magisk installed?

Thank you for your time!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
1. Your boot and recovery are stock since its the system update that installs them
Orange state just means your bootloader had been tampered with, it has nothing to do with whether your boot or recovery images are stock

2. You flash the twrp image. Ideally you should flash recovery partition, but in this case flashing recovery isn't working for you. Basically your phone is refusing to boot into recovery. What this method does is force the phone to boot the twrp image

3. If you're not using magisk or su, may I ask why you want to enter recovery for in the first place?

As an aside I just realised that you can flash boot.img from twrp, so instead of manually patching the boot.img, just flash stock boot and then flash your SU or magisk or whatever it is that you want to flash from recovery

Last edited:

wutzkman

Aug 31, 2011
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
1. Your boot and recovery are stock since its the system update that installs them
Orange state just means your bootloader had been tampered with, it has nothing to do with whether your boot or recovery images are stock

2. You flash the twrp image. Ideally you should flash recovery partition, but in this case flashing recovery isn't working for you. Basically your phone is refusing to boot into recovery. What this method does is force the phone to boot the twrp image

3. If you're not using magisk or su, may I ask why you want to enter recovery for in the first place?

As an aside I just realised that you can flash boot.img from twrp, so instead of manually patching the boot.img, just flash stock boot and then flash your SU or magisk or whatever it is that you want to flash from recovery

Don't worry too much about it. We all have more important stuff than rooting a Nokia 3 to do. ;)

1. Thank you! I've just learned something new :highfive:

2. I flash TWRP to boot partition? I did not think of that, but from what you say it definitely makes sense. And now I see, why I need a backup of my 8.1 stock boot and recovery. Perhaps, I should find out how to backup with SPFlash by now :fingers-crossed: . Too bad, there is no stable Oreo-FW out there. :angel:

3. I actually want to "ungoogle" the phone and therefore, I indeed want to use magisk. But I need TWRP in some way to install it.
Once I have TWRP at boot partition and loaded it, can I flash boot from there? In other words, can boot partition overwrite itself? I doubt it. How about:

a) I create a patched_boot.img right now manually with Magisk Manager, but without installing magisk zip.
b) I use fastboot to flash TWRP to boot and load into it
c) I install Magisk from there and reboot to fastboot again
c) I use fastboot to flash patched_boot.img and reboot the whole thing.

That could do the trick in theory, couldn't it?

redweaver

Nov 25, 2017
Lagos
Don't worry too much about it. We all have more important stuff than rooting a Nokia 3 to do. ;)

1. Thank you! I've just learned something new :highfive:

2. I flash TWRP to boot partition? I did not think of that, but from what you say it definitely makes sense. And now I see, why I need a backup of my 8.1 stock boot and recovery. Perhaps, I should find out how to backup with SPFlash by now :fingers-crossed: . Too bad, there is no stable Oreo-FW out there. :angel:

3. I actually want to "ungoogle" the phone and therefore, I indeed want to use magisk. But I need TWRP in some way to install it.
Once I have TWRP at boot partition and loaded it, can I flash boot from there? In other words, can boot partition overwrite itself? I doubt it. How about:

a) I create a patched_boot.img right now manually with Magisk Manager, but without installing magisk zip.
b) I use fastboot to flash TWRP to boot and load into it
c) I install Magisk from there and reboot to fastboot again
c) I use fastboot to flash patched_boot.img and reboot the whole thing.

That could do the trick in theory, couldn't it?

I figured the flashing to boot partition one time when my phone kept booting into recovery after a failed ota update. I checked the install script and found out that at one point the boot partition is flashed with the recovery image

You definitely need to backup your boot image unless you want to risk not being able to boot your phone anymore

Flashing boot should be possible, after all even when you boot into twrp you can flash another recovery, in fact when you do a twrp restore especially one that has a recovery backup, you usually overwrite even the partition that twrp is installed on. Your method too would work, but I think it's easier to just let magisk do the job, i've had too many failed attempts at patching a boot image

wutzkman

Aug 31, 2011
I figured the flashing to boot partition one time when my phone kept booting into recovery after a failed ota update. I checked the install script and found out that at one point the boot partition is flashed with the recovery image

You definitely need to backup your boot image unless you want to risk not being able to boot your phone anymore

Flashing boot should be possible, after all even when you boot into twrp you can flash another recovery, in fact when you do a twrp restore especially one that has a recovery backup, you usually overwrite even the partition that twrp is installed on. Your method too would work, but I think it's easier to just let magisk do the job, i've had too many failed attempts at patching a boot image

I MADE IT! :victory:

As it turned out I stumbled over quite some weird different problems:
a) As mentioned, I was not able to boot into TWRP recovery for whatever reason. So flashing TWRP to boot partition and therefore forcing the device to boot it did the trick. Thank you for this excellent advice!:good:
b) When Magisk tried to patch the boot image automatically, it always came up with a boot image of 0 kb in size. Of course, this could not work at all. So, manually creating a patched_boot.img and flashing it after the installation of magisk turned out to be the way to go.:laugh:

c) For whatever reason fastboot had quite some problems with my the device. It obviously kept producing strange, not reproducible errors. So I arranged myself with SPFlash and was good to go.

So now I have a full system backup for Oreo 8.1 stock and a full system backup for Oreo 8.1 with magisk root.:highfive:

I can work my way through ungoogling the device and whenever I screw up, I can simply recover with my backup :cool:

So Thank you @redweaver and also Thank you @SkaboXD for all the help! :eek:

Reactions: SkaboXD

Revanth_24

Recognized Developer
Oct 1, 2018
So Yeah, The LineageOs Version Which is Based on Android Nougat is Very Near For Its Release! Compiled From Source With Nokia 3 Device Tree, Vendor & Also using Kernel Source!

Reactions: sekhar0199

JenTyler

Jan 21, 2021
Does anyone know if this build was ever released?
I am not experienced, so if I hit a wall would be stuck, but can follow directions and would like very much to install Lineage OS on my Nokia 3.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear folks,

I. What I did at first:

II. What I did next:

III. What I did next:

IV. What I did next:

Tu sum it up:

Thank you in advance!
    Dear folks,

I. What I did at first:

II. What I did next:

III. What I did next:

IV. What I did next:

Tu sum it up:

Thank you in advance!

Stay tuned.

Stay tuned.

better Build a rom based on oreo GO coz mt6737 is completely supported

not sure if i can, low ram property patch doesn't work when i tested last time, but i will check it again.