FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Adoptable Storage now available in Pie update, but it corrupts files

152 posts
Thanks Meter: 64

By ((RayDar)), Senior Member on 30th November 2018, 05:40 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
The good news: Adoptable Storage (aka using an SD Card as Phone Storage) is now available in build 00WW_3_206_SP01 (for the TA-1045).
The bad news: Using this expanded storage will corrupt your files.

After the update, if you insert an SD Card that the phone doesn't recognize as usable (ex. a wiped card, one used as 'phone storage' for another device, or one formatted as EXT4 or NTFS), you will get a notification. Tap that notification and you will be sent to a settings screen with a Format this SD card dialog already popped up onto it. Tap CANCEL on the dialog and you will be able to select Phone storage as shown here: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/move-a...-apps-sd-card/ (Just tap CANCEL between steps 1 and 2).

After the procedure, it will seem like everything went swimmingly. However, if you had a lot of files on the internal SD Card and chose Move content, many of the images/apps/data that had been building up on the device are now corrupted. Images don't load, apps crash, and so on.

I have reproduced this on two different 6.1's and two different brands of SD Card. The files appear to get corrupted at random 4096-byte boundaries.

If you are a new phone purchaser or one who hasn't yet used an SD Card with your device, configuring expanded storage (which is what many 6.1 owners will want) will corrupt the apps, images, and other data that gets moved to the adopted storage.

I sure hope Nokia fixes this soon. It will be a nightmare for some users.
The Following User Says Thank You to ((RayDar)) For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ((RayDar)) Ad-Free

30th November 2018, 07:03 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Yeah, it's really buggy atm. It keeps deleting all my pictures and apps take ages to load.
30th November 2018, 07:38 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravarty

It keeps deleting all my pictures and apps take ages to load.

It looks like the pictures are deleted, but worse than that, they have actually been corrupted. When I transfer images back to my PC (via adb pull), I can see that the files don't match the originals and the corruption always begins at a multiple of 4096 bytes.

I hope you have backups of your pictures.
27th December 2018, 11:22 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello !

Very happy to see I'm not the only one to have this problem.

I just bought a Nokia 6.1 and tried the feature. My files was indeed currupted

Could you let us know if you have some news about the correction ?!

Thanks you !

Abou Ilyès
11th January 2019, 06:32 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Nokia 6.1 Pie 9 did not fix adoptable storage for internal formating
I contacted Nokia support today. They are not aware of any fix for including internal formating in the future. I intend on checking with a different Nokia Support rep later to see if they have different reply.
The Following User Says Thank You to BluMerle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BluMerle Ad-Free
30th January 2019, 01:38 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hello. Any news about it? My phone is ruined after this
The Following User Says Thank You to Olyabusha For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Olyabusha Ad-Free
7th February 2019, 01:31 PM |#7  

More
So I guess Nokia does not want to own up to this?
I've been told that my only option is to unlock bootloader, root the phone, and then look for what might be left from the data on the phone. My guess it's corrupted inside the phone as well? It is pricey, and there is a chance the phone will be bricked. Right now I have the files on sd card that are not readable, AND the phone memory is also full, since the files where not properly moved, they are still there but inaccessible. If I go to settings-memory I see that I have 15 GB under Images, but no way to access it.

Anything you can add about this?
Thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

One more question. Is my only other option to do a factory reset to get the phone memory back, and forget about the files I lost? Since there will be no chance, even a small one, to recover anything ever after I do a factory reset...
The Following User Says Thank You to Olyabusha For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Olyabusha Ad-Free
18th February 2019, 08:15 PM |#8  

More
I had this nightmare a few months ago. Fit my SD card, thought I was clever selecting the internal storage option and proceeded to migrate my files across. Seemed fine and didn't pay attention to it, then I started noticing that my photos weren't saving and files received through WhatsApp were screwing up.

I didn't fix it per-say, after much angst I tried to copy everything from my phone to my PC through ADB for later recovery and then proceeded to format the SD card to stop further corruption. To my surprise all the files that were there on my internal storage originally remained after formatting the card. The only things that were lost were the new files since I had installed the SD card.

It seems that the migration step doesn't actually migrate any files across and so there's a intact copy left on your internal storage and a corrupt copy on the SD card. I have no idea if the files that were stored in the internal storage can be overwritten, but I figured this tale might be helpful to you.

I'd recommend steering clear of the internal storage option on this phone or at very least backing up all your files before testing it. Other than the file encryption, it doesn't add that much functionality anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kahlostipper For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kahlostipper Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)