Adoptable Storage now available in Pie update, but it corrupts files

Search This thread

((RayDar))

Aug 27, 2009
The good news: Adoptable Storage (aka using an SD Card as Phone Storage) is now available in build 00WW_3_206_SP01 (for the TA-1045).
The bad news: Using this expanded storage will corrupt your files.

After the update, if you insert an SD Card that the phone doesn't recognize as usable (ex. a wiped card, one used as 'phone storage' for another device, or one formatted as EXT4 or NTFS), you will get a notification. Tap that notification and you will be sent to a settings screen with a Format this SD card dialog already popped up onto it. Tap CANCEL on the dialog and you will be able to select Phone storage as shown here: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/move-android-apps-sd-card/ (Just tap CANCEL between steps 1 and 2).

After the procedure, it will seem like everything went swimmingly. However, if you had a lot of files on the internal SD Card and chose Move content, many of the images/apps/data that had been building up on the device are now corrupted. Images don't load, apps crash, and so on.

I have reproduced this on two different 6.1's and two different brands of SD Card. The files appear to get corrupted at random 4096-byte boundaries.

If you are a new phone purchaser or one who hasn't yet used an SD Card with your device, configuring expanded storage (which is what many 6.1 owners will want) will corrupt the apps, images, and other data that gets moved to the adopted storage.

I sure hope Nokia fixes this soon. It will be a nightmare for some users.

Reactions: Abou Ilyès

((RayDar))

Aug 27, 2009
It keeps deleting all my pictures and apps take ages to load.

It looks like the pictures are deleted, but worse than that, they have actually been corrupted. When I transfer images back to my PC (via adb pull), I can see that the files don't match the originals and the corruption always begins at a multiple of 4096 bytes.

I hope you have backups of your pictures.

Abou Ilyès

Dec 28, 2012
Sony Xperia L1
Redmi Note 10
Hello !

Very happy to see I'm not the only one to have this problem.

I just bought a Nokia 6.1 and tried the feature. My files was indeed currupted :(

Could you let us know if you have some news about the correction ?!

Thanks you !

Abou Ilyès

BluMerle

Jan 11, 2019
Nokia 6.1 Pie 9 did not fix adoptable storage for internal formating

I contacted Nokia support today. They are not aware of any fix for including internal formating in the future. I intend on checking with a different Nokia Support rep later to see if they have different reply.

Reactions: Abou Ilyès

Olyabusha

Jan 30, 2019
So I guess Nokia does not want to own up to this?
I've been told that my only option is to unlock bootloader, root the phone, and then look for what might be left from the data on the phone. My guess it's corrupted inside the phone as well? It is pricey, and there is a chance the phone will be bricked. Right now I have the files on sd card that are not readable, AND the phone memory is also full, since the files where not properly moved, they are still there but inaccessible. If I go to settings-memory I see that I have 15 GB under Images, but no way to access it.

Anything you can add about this?
Thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

One more question. Is my only other option to do a factory reset to get the phone memory back, and forget about the files I lost? Since there will be no chance, even a small one, to recover anything ever after I do a factory reset...

kahlostipper

Feb 18, 2019
I had this nightmare a few months ago. Fit my SD card, thought I was clever selecting the internal storage option and proceeded to migrate my files across. Seemed fine and didn't pay attention to it, then I started noticing that my photos weren't saving and files received through WhatsApp were screwing up.

I didn't fix it per-say, after much angst I tried to copy everything from my phone to my PC through ADB for later recovery and then proceeded to format the SD card to stop further corruption. To my surprise all the files that were there on my internal storage originally remained after formatting the card. The only things that were lost were the new files since I had installed the SD card.

It seems that the migration step doesn't actually migrate any files across and so there's a intact copy left on your internal storage and a corrupt copy on the SD card. I have no idea if the files that were stored in the internal storage can be overwritten, but I figured this tale might be helpful to you.

I'd recommend steering clear of the internal storage option on this phone or at very least backing up all your files before testing it. Other than the file encryption, it doesn't add that much functionality anyway.

Wilfinit

Jun 23, 2019
is this still an issue please?

And is it just when migrating files please?

Though I must say I'm not surprised, I had an issue with a device pre-update (with normal storage that wasn't even quite full!) and was recommended to clear the storage app and boot loop it

turbophreak

Oct 22, 2011
Anyone have any luck with getting around the file corruption? On my 6.1 all apps moved to SD do not save data and most pictures are corrupted and unreadable. Thought I could clear everything off the SD, reformat and try again but don't know if it'll work.

alonsogonzalez1997

Jul 12, 2019
Adoptable Storage is not going to work

In case it helps anyone still trying to get Adoptable Storage to work, I thought I'd contact Nokia support, and they told me that this feature is no longer supported even though their FAQ on their website provides instructions on how to enable it.

I'll leave the email thread down below if anyone wants to read it.

Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2019 8:44 AM
Subject: Re: MicroSD card as internal storage

Dear alonsogonzalez1997,
Thank you for your feedback!
Referring to your inquiry I would like to explain that this option on Nokia phones is no longer active. It is not possible to set the SD card as an internal storage because the SD card is not internal (SD), but only the copy is created. As a result, there is less memory space, and the phone software then relies on a third-party application just to work properly, what causes the phone to stop working.
Please if you are interested in freeing up space on your phone. Move files to SD card (you know you can move everything except applications). Or, you can back up your files to a Google Account.
This new features we brings to the phone with the latest updates in order to prolong phone life.
If you will have more questions feel free to contact us again.
I wish you a lovely day!

On Fri, 12 Jul at 10:26 PM , alonsogonzalez1997 <> wrote:
Google’s Android Developer website still lists it as a supported feature:
Nothing on that webpage suggests it is a deprecated feature; in fact, that webpage suggests that they made improvements to the functionality of this feature in Android Pie.
And I have screenshots where your website instructs myself as the consumer on how to format an SD card as an internal storage device. I would not have purchased a device like this with a limited amount of built-in storage had I not known I would not be able to format an SD card as internal storage. I also cannot maintain my files on two separate filesystems on this device.
Next time I need to purchase a new phone, I will be purchasing one that is not a Nokia device, but for now, I still need to know how to unlock the bootloader on my Nokia 6.1 so I can test aftermarket firmware options. Simply running an “oem unlock” command in Android fastboot does not unlock the bootloader even with OEM unlock enabled in Developer Options.

Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 1:26 AM
Subject: Re: MicroSD card as internal storage

Dear Alonso Gonzalez,
Thank you for contacting Nokia Mobile Care.
We understand the inconvenience of the situation you are facing and we are sorry that you feel that way.
It is good to know, that after updating to Android Pie it was developers decision to remove the option for formatting SD cards as internal storage due to customer safety reasons.
We hope that this information would be useful to you.
If you have any further questions, please, do not hesitate to contact us again here.

Reactions: Ducanh Ngo

Valckirion

Oct 31, 2019
Does anyone know if the sd card can be used as internal storage or that the option to move apps to the external sd card will be available in android 10?
I'm getting really tired of the fact that my phone's internal storage is full :(

turbophreak

Oct 22, 2011
Sorry, I wish I could help. I gave up on it. I initially hacked it to make adoptable storage work but then ran into issues with Android updating save data to the card for any app I moved over. Then Nokia BRIEFLY, officially, supported adoptable storage and I switched to that. That was an even bigger train wreck. Files, photos, apps, were randomly disappearing or if you did find them they were corrupted.

But I did finally fix all these issues - dumped the Nokia and got a Samsung Galaxy 10e. I really liked the Nokia too and it was a very good Android One phone. The lone, single, solitary issue of not having any storage options was the only thing that pushed me away. I loved everything else about the phone.

Nokia 7

Jul 21, 2020
This happened to me a while ago. Do not despair if this is you because there IS A FIX for this problem.

The error at 4096 bytes is thankfully one that goes both ways. So I saw that my photos were corrupted on my SD card after using the Nokia SD transfer.

Then I used the same option on the phone that allows you to transfer BACK to the phone memory. Whoever wrote the code for this must have summoned the reverse of the first process because ALL of the photos appeared on the phone.

Please try this before wiping your SD card.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I guess Nokia does not want to own up to this?
    I've been told that my only option is to unlock bootloader, root the phone, and then look for what might be left from the data on the phone. My guess it's corrupted inside the phone as well? It is pricey, and there is a chance the phone will be bricked. Right now I have the files on sd card that are not readable, AND the phone memory is also full, since the files where not properly moved, they are still there but inaccessible. If I go to settings-memory I see that I have 15 GB under Images, but no way to access it.

Anything you can add about this?
    Thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

One more question. Is my only other option to do a factory reset to get the phone memory back, and forget about the files I lost? Since there will be no chance, even a small one, to recover anything ever after I do a factory reset...
    I had this nightmare a few months ago. Fit my SD card, thought I was clever selecting the internal storage option and proceeded to migrate my files across. Seemed fine and didn't pay attention to it, then I started noticing that my photos weren't saving and files received through WhatsApp were screwing up.

I didn't fix it per-say, after much angst I tried to copy everything from my phone to my PC through ADB for later recovery and then proceeded to format the SD card to stop further corruption. To my surprise all the files that were there on my internal storage originally remained after formatting the card. The only things that were lost were the new files since I had installed the SD card.

It seems that the migration step doesn't actually migrate any files across and so there's a intact copy left on your internal storage and a corrupt copy on the SD card. I have no idea if the files that were stored in the internal storage can be overwritten, but I figured this tale might be helpful to you.

I'd recommend steering clear of the internal storage option on this phone or at very least backing up all your files before testing it. Other than the file encryption, it doesn't add that much functionality anyway.
    The good news: Adoptable Storage (aka using an SD Card as Phone Storage) is now available in build 00WW_3_206_SP01 (for the TA-1045).
    The bad news: Using this expanded storage will corrupt your files.

After the update, if you insert an SD Card that the phone doesn't recognize as usable (ex. a wiped card, one used as 'phone storage' for another device, or one formatted as EXT4 or NTFS), you will get a notification. Tap that notification and you will be sent to a settings screen with a Format this SD card dialog already popped up onto it. Tap CANCEL on the dialog and you will be able to select Phone storage as shown here: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/move-android-apps-sd-card/ (Just tap CANCEL between steps 1 and 2).

After the procedure, it will seem like everything went swimmingly. However, if you had a lot of files on the internal SD Card and chose Move content, many of the images/apps/data that had been building up on the device are now corrupted. Images don't load, apps crash, and so on.

I have reproduced this on two different 6.1's and two different brands of SD Card. The files appear to get corrupted at random 4096-byte boundaries.

If you are a new phone purchaser or one who hasn't yet used an SD Card with your device, configuring expanded storage (which is what many 6.1 owners will want) will corrupt the apps, images, and other data that gets moved to the adopted storage.

I sure hope Nokia fixes this soon. It will be a nightmare for some users.
    Nokia 6.1 Pie 9 did not fix adoptable storage for internal formating

I contacted Nokia support today. They are not aware of any fix for including internal formating in the future. I intend on checking with a different Nokia Support rep later to see if they have different reply.
    Hello. Any news about it? My phone is ruined after this :(