guid to flash Treble GSI on Nokia 6 (2018)

Search This thread

superium

Jun 22, 2018
tested on ta-1054.
WHY flash ?
nokia system use 2GB memory after boot. there's lots of things auto start. if you try to disable it ,some app else will crash sometime.
in chinese version, there's some spy action in the system apps. for example:
you'll find a folder called "baidu" in /storage/emulated/0/. in the folder,there's some files used to trace your action. but you never installed any app. this is done by a build-in app called weather service.
again, a folder called ".com.nb.filemanager" created by the build-in file manager.
lots of service backend , for example: tencentlocationservice.
in /system/priv-app/cust, there're lots of service only for chinese version. you know what does it mean. and can't be deleted.

treble rom from phh works on my ta-1054. both AOSP and lineageOS works.
it takes only 1.2GB memory when start up. when you install apks, it act fast ,unlike the OEM one ,pause 4seconds more when goes to 90%.

but there's one problem : wifi couldn't be switched on. ------This has been fixed now.
but another problem found. about the calling. when flash the system to slot a, it recognize two sim. both could receive calling.but calling panel will auto quite when calling out. (the other side will ring, but hear nothing when pick up).
when flash the system to slot b, it recognize one sim card only. call and receive ok.

so take your choice, try to go away from rubbish app or not. flash system may brick your phone,take your risk.

HOW TO :
1. unlock your bootloader.

2.backup your things on the phone.

3. fastboot tools. optional: adb tools.

4.download a boot image from https://dospy.wang/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=69.
now treble is build on android 8.1, so download B2N-222A-0-00WW-B06-patched-boot.img .

now , i've extracted the stock boot kernal from my nokia 6.1, version android 8.1. use this instead of the former one , the wifi will works.
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1R0ZconptEvAuth5nJt_ekQ

5.download gsi system image :
lineageOS
AOSP [recommend]
important: choose ab one , instead of a only system. choose arm64 instead of arm.

6.turn your phone to download mode.
you may use adb command:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
or shutdown and hold on volume+ and power key to boot, when a doid picture appear, press these two keys again. then choose reboot to bootloader.

optional: see which slot you are in, a or b:
Code:
fastboot getvar all
check "current sloct:" and remember it. if you faild to start system later, you may go back to fastboot. if you failed to boot ,sometimes the bootloader will load another slot. so, check it. and you could be aware where you are. we flash one slot is enough, two works too.

7. wipe user data,type:
Code:
fastboot -w
8.flash the system image:
Code:
fastboot flash system your-image.img
9.flash the boot image:
Code:
fastboot flash boot B2N-222A-0-00WW-B06-patched-boot.img
tips: if your former system is android 8.1, and you didn't rooted it, then you may skip this step.

10.wipe data again:
Code:
fastboot -w
11.reboot your phone:
Code:
fastboot reboot
ok, you may see lineage os starts up now.
if you want to root your phone, just install magisk.apk, and then add the magisk.zip module. reboot, that's ok.

maybe problem:
fastboot waiting devices.
two reason. 1. your fastboot version . please use the one extracted from android SDK, the one installed by apt install doesn't work. 2. udev rules .add your device ID to /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules.
find your device id by lsusb.

bootloop
if you could enter recovery ,this means boot img ok. try to flash system again. remember to check wich slot you are in. if not the former one, just switch it by "fastboot set_active a/b" a or b choose the currect one.
if you couldn't enter recoery, just flash boot.img again.

Last edited:
Reactions: khoailang2500

JBlaze05

May 26, 2018
This is great an all, but the fundamental issue with all of this is the bootloader unlock. When you say to unlock the bootloader, do you refer to using the paid service to do so?

Reactions: lovermed

superium

Jun 22, 2018
This is great an all, but the fundamental issue with all of this is the bootloader unlock. When you say to unlock the bootloader, do you refer to using the paid service to do so?

yes, i've paid about 5$ to unlock. I don't know any free way to do it util now. and it's important to do it for me,so i paid.

superium

Jun 22, 2018
so BL unlocking aside, how smoothly do the GSI's run on this phone compared to the stock rom? Scrolling, fluidity, speed, and whatnot.

:) Good questions!
Good experience :
* it tesk much less time than the stock one when boot.
* It's fast more than the stock one.when start up, it takes about 1.2GB memery, the stock one takes 2GB.
* it's smooth and very pure to use. when installing apps, it's more fast than the stock one. you may notice the stock one will pause several seconds when installing process goes to about 90%.
* there's no so much backround services, like tencentlocationservices, overlay apps for CN ....etc.
* the OTA could recognize all partions when your usb devices have several partitions. the stock one only recognize the first partition.
* the fling navigation is so cool in RRemix and AICP.

Not So Good experience :
* when flash the system to slot a, it recognize two sim. both could receive calling.but calling panel will auto quite when calling out. (the other side will ring, but hear nothing when pick up).
when flash the system to slot b, it recognize one sime only. call and receive ok.
* sms receive will crash the system if you use lineage , RRemix, AICP. Fortunately, the AOSP works good.
* if you use lineageos , scan other blue-tooth devices will crash the system . but transfer files ok.
* if you use lineageos ,AOSP,AICP , you will experience no-response several times. because the Privacy Guard pop toast to ask you allow or deny something, but it freeze the system if it's not the most top app. Fortunately, this will not happen in AOSP because there's no such app.
* when charging in power-off status, can't detect the power percent. (only tested in AOSP)
* compass degree err, all GSI including AOSP.
Additonal
* fly model in the night, about 8 hours. seems lineage and RRemix takes much less power,some version only takes 1%. the AOSP takes about 8%.
* the wifi problem is due to the boot kernal.
now , i've extracted the stock boot kernal from my nokia 6.1, version android 8.1. use this instead of the former one , the wifi will works.

JBlaze05

May 26, 2018
:) Good questions!
Good experience :
* it tesk much less time than the stock one when boot.
* It's fast more than the stock one.when start up, it takes about 1.2GB memery, the stock one takes 2GB.
* it's smooth and very pure to use. when installing apps, it's more fast than the stock one. you may notice the stock one will pause several seconds when installing process goes to about 90%.
* there's no so much backround services, like tencentlocationservices, overlay apps for CN ....etc.
* the OTA could recognize all partions when your usb devices have several partitions. the stock one only recognize the first partition.
* the fling navigation is so cool in RRemix and AICP.

Not So Good experience :
* when flash the system to slot a, it recognize two sim. both could receive calling.but calling panel will auto quite when calling out. (the other side will ring, but hear nothing when pick up).
when flash the system to slot b, it recognize one sime only. call and receive ok.
* sms receive will crash the system if you use lineage , RRemix, AICP. Fortunately, the AOSP works good.
* if you use lineageos , scan other blue-tooth devices will crash the system . but transfer files ok.
* if you use lineageos ,AOSP,AICP , you will experience no-response several times. because the Privacy Guard pop toast to ask you allow or deny something, but it freeze the system if it's not the most top app. Fortunately, this will not happen in AOSP because there's no such app.
* when charging in power-off status, can't detect the power percent. (only tested in AOSP)
* compass degree err, all GSI including AOSP.
Additonal
* fly model in the night, about 8 hours. seems lineage and RRemix takes much less power,some version only takes 1%. the AOSP takes about 8%.
* the wifi problem is due to the boot kernal.
ok good to hear, i can deal with those cons. ive been wanted to get this phone but i want prices to come down just a bit and i was hoping that the guy who does BL unlocking would publicize his work but oh well. Thanks for the info :)

stealthj

Jan 16, 2008
Silicon Valley, California
I've installed this on the TA-1054 but it says no sim card on both my sim slots. any ideas?

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

I'm getting "No SIM" any ideas?

Metzas

Jul 19, 2018
I have a Nokia ta-1054 with forked firmware so I tried your method. However, I am stuck in powered by Android and I can only enter download mode. I've tried again and again the steps above but I cannot boot normally into android. I've tried different AOSP firmwares, as well as different boot.img, and I cannot enter recovery mode. What can I do?

stealthj

Jan 16, 2008
I have a Nokia ta-1054 with forked firmware so I tried your method. However, I am stuck in powered by Android and I can only enter download mode. I've tried again and again the steps above but I cannot boot normally into android. I've tried different AOSP firmwares, as well as different boot.img, and I cannot enter recovery mode. What can I do?

flash boot file and then fastboot reboot. don't fastboot -w after you flash boot file. this worked for me.

Although the 1054 still cannot recognize my ATT Sim card.

I want to restore my 1054 back to the stock chinese firmware so I can make sure the SIM read error is not a hardware issue but i cannot find the chinese firmware

I also have a TA-1045 USA edition. Is there anyway I can pull the stock image and flash it to my 1054?

chriskleov

Apr 15, 2007
Its a paytool for Nokia. Its called ntools they provide and the stock ROMs but is only for these tool

stealthj

Jan 16, 2008
Again make sure you are using the correct slots. Then flash, erase userdata, flash boot, fastboot reboot and disconnect USB cable right after pressing enter on fastboot reboot, should reboot into the OS

QuillzToxic

Jul 19, 2014
I have a TA-1050, Does anyone know of the hardware differences between the models and If that would effect the patched boot.img needed? Would it brick if I tried?

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
this phone is treble enabled by default. not sure why you need to flash a modded boot.img? id flash a rom but there is no way to go back to stock as of now soo ill hold off.

Solannae

Mar 11, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for the guide, however I'm stuck in bootloops no matter which Oreo GSI I'm trying to flash... (Nokia TA-1043, went straight from stock > unlocked bootloader > 8.1 AOSP > stuck on bootanimation)

pizer11

Jun 21, 2018
can install on my ta 1054, but I do not recognize any sim, try slot a and b and could not, sad

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    tested on ta-1054.
    WHY flash ?
    nokia system use 2GB memory after boot. there's lots of things auto start. if you try to disable it ,some app else will crash sometime.
    in chinese version, there's some spy action in the system apps. for example:
    you'll find a folder called "baidu" in /storage/emulated/0/. in the folder,there's some files used to trace your action. but you never installed any app. this is done by a build-in app called weather service.
    again, a folder called ".com.nb.filemanager" created by the build-in file manager.
    lots of service backend , for example: tencentlocationservice.
    in /system/priv-app/cust, there're lots of service only for chinese version. you know what does it mean. and can't be deleted.

treble rom from phh works on my ta-1054. both AOSP and lineageOS works.
    it takes only 1.2GB memory when start up. when you install apks, it act fast ,unlike the OEM one ,pause 4seconds more when goes to 90%.

but there's one problem : wifi couldn't be switched on. ------This has been fixed now.
    but another problem found. about the calling. when flash the system to slot a, it recognize two sim. both could receive calling.but calling panel will auto quite when calling out. (the other side will ring, but hear nothing when pick up).
    when flash the system to slot b, it recognize one sim card only. call and receive ok.

so take your choice, try to go away from rubbish app or not. flash system may brick your phone,take your risk.

HOW TO :
    1. unlock your bootloader.

2.backup your things on the phone.

3. fastboot tools. optional: adb tools.

4.download a boot image from https://dospy.wang/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=69.
    now treble is build on android 8.1, so download B2N-222A-0-00WW-B06-patched-boot.img .

5.download gsi system image :
    lineageOS
    AOSP [recommend]
    important: choose ab one , instead of a only system. choose arm64 instead of arm.

6.turn your phone to download mode.
    you may use adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    or shutdown and hold on volume+ and power key to boot, when a doid picture appear, press these two keys again. then choose reboot to bootloader.

optional: see which slot you are in, a or b:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar all
    check "current sloct:" and remember it. if you faild to start system later, you may go back to fastboot. if you failed to boot ,sometimes the bootloader will load another slot. so, check it. and you could be aware where you are. we flash one slot is enough, two works too.

7. wipe user data,type:
    Code:
    fastboot -w
    8.flash the system image:
    Code:
    fastboot flash system your-image.img
    9.flash the boot image:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot B2N-222A-0-00WW-B06-patched-boot.img
    tips: if your former system is android 8.1, and you didn't rooted it, then you may skip this step.

10.wipe data again:
    Code:
    fastboot -w
    11.reboot your phone:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    ok, you may see lineage os starts up now.
    if you want to root your phone, just install magisk.apk, and then add the magisk.zip module. reboot, that's ok.

maybe problem:
    fastboot waiting devices.
    two reason. 1. your fastboot version . please use the one extracted from android SDK, the one installed by apt install doesn't work. 2. udev rules .add your device ID to /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules.
    find your device id by lsusb.

bootloop
    if you could enter recovery ,this means boot img ok. try to flash system again. remember to check wich slot you are in. if not the former one, just switch it by "fastboot set_active a/b" a or b choose the currect one.
    if you couldn't enter recoery, just flash boot.img again.
    Anyone try this on TA-1045 yet ?
    install baidu disk is not required. mouse over , and click the download icon on the right. it's enough.
    disks such as google drive, dropbox are blocked in my country. we live in the great firewall.

I've tried, I'm presented with the following in the screnshots I've attached