FORUMS

[Guide] Unlocking the bootloader

189 posts
Thanks Meter: 72

Post Reply Email Thread
The Nokia 7.2, surprisingly, comes with an unlockable bootloader. The information is shared by TechMesto and I am just re-using it to create this guide.

Notes:
Unlocking the bootloader may void the device's warranty.
All existing data on the device will be erased.

To unlock:
Update: Nokia has disabled the unlock ability with the December MR. You can only unlock if you downgrade your phone to an old release first. You can get it at Nokia Care or by buying remote flashing services.

Before you start: Make sure that you have platform-tools downloaded on your PC. You need to open a CMD or Terminal window in the folder where you have saved the platform-tools, unless you have installed them system-wide.

• First of all, enable Developer Options by tapping 7 times on BuildID in "About phone".
• Then go to developer options and enable OEM Unlocking option.
• Now reboot the phone into bootloader/fastboot mode. You can use the adb command:
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
or else use hardware keys to reboot to bootloader mode.

• Make sure the phone is detected in fastboot mode. Then send the OEM unlocking command:
Code:
fastboot flashing unlock
• Confirm the unlock on the phone.
Nokia 7.2 bootloader unlock confirmation
• That's it!

You can also do the unlock_critical if you plan to flash the bootloader.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to singhnsk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift singhnsk Ad-Free
31st October 2019, 08:25 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Reserved for future use.
2nd November 2019, 02:53 PM |#3  
Flag Kuantan
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I am on a Nokia 7.2, a dual-sim variant with 6GB RAM and 128 GB ROM. The model name is TA-1196.

I am currently having issues with this method, whenever I try to flash unlock, prior to the V1.160 update, the fastboot will report back saying "Write to device failed (unknown error)".

If anyone would enlighten me I would be happy to hear.

Edit: Currently on build number 00WW_1_060

Edit 2.0: Works after updating to build 00WW_1_160. Seems Nokia enabled this method by mistake. Who knows?
2nd November 2019, 07:54 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohGeek

I am on a Nokia 7.2, a dual-sim variant with 6GB RAM and 128 GB ROM. The model name is TA-1196.

I am currently having issues with this method, whenever I try to flash unlock, prior to the V1.160 update, the fastboot will report back saying "Write to device failed (unknown error)".

If anyone would enlighten me I would be happy to hear.

Edit: Currently on build number 00WW_1_060

Edit 2.0: Works after updating to build 00WW_1_160. Seems Nokia enabled this method by mistake. Who knows?

Hi, looks like you were initially doing flash unlock instead of flashing unlock? And since there was nothing to flash, it failed.
2nd November 2019, 11:03 PM |#5  
Flag Kuantan

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhnsk

Hi, looks like you were initially doing flash unlock instead of flashing unlock? And since there was nothing to flash, it failed.

I was using flashing, and as my edit has said, it seems the option to unlock the bootloader was only enabled after version 160.
3rd November 2019, 07:35 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohGeek

I was using flashing, and as my edit has said, it seems the option to unlock the bootloader was only enabled after version 160.

That's okay, but the output you got wasn't appropriate for that command. If the unlock support isn't allowed it will say "flashing unlock is not allowed". Or in case the bootloader isn't including that command at all, it will say "Unknown command".
I might be wrong too, but your output isn't something i've seen on any of the phones i've owned, whether unlockable or non-unlockable. That output is what I usually get when the command is not proper, or the drivers aren't properly installed or the fastboot device isn't properly responding. Rebooting to bootloader should usually fix it. At least it does on other Nokia and Sharp phones.
3rd November 2019, 07:42 AM |#7  
Flag Kuantan

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhnsk

That's okay, but the output you got wasn't appropriate for that command. If the unlock support isn't allowed it will say "flashing unlock is not allowed". Or in case the bootloader isn't including that command at all, it will say "Unknown command".
I might be wrong too, but your output isn't something i've seen on any of the phones i've owned, whether unlockable or non-unlockable. That output is what I usually get when the command is not proper, or the drivers aren't properly installed or the fastboot device isn't properly responding. Rebooting to bootloader should usually fix it. At least it does on other Nokia and Sharp phones.

I was curious too, it kicked me off the bootloader screen when I was doing that on version 060, but it seems all is well now
4th November 2019, 02:01 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
https://nokiamob.net/2019/11/02/offi...-2-bootloader/
5th November 2019, 03:41 AM |#9  

More
I unlocked bootloader now how to root this phone they didn't released kernel source for preparing twrp should i root the phone with magisk patched boot.img??
6th December 2019, 08:01 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolboy996

I unlocked bootloader now how to root this phone they didn't released kernel source for preparing twrp should i root the phone with magisk patched boot.img??

You can use TWRP or patched image to root the 7.2
16th December 2019, 07:23 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Can confirm that it is still unlockable. Got 2 of them today from Argos in the UK (Scotland). They are on 00WW_1_130 with security batch from 2019/08/05.

Only thing I had to do was enable internet and reboot to get the option to stop being greyed out.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nokia 7.2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)