182 posts
Thanks Meter: 69

Post Reply Email Thread
14th January 2020, 08:21 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
how to downgrade to still unlock bootloader in 2020
Hi singhnsk and others,

I just bought the Nokia 7.2 last week because I found so many articles on the web explaining how to install custom ROMs. Just yesterday I found out it is not possible anymore since Nokias december update.

Singhnsk, you write in your initial post:

Quote:

To unlock:
Update: Nokia has disabled the unlock ability with the December MR. You can only unlock if you downgrade your phone to an old release first. You can get it at Nokia Care or by buying remote flashing services.

Can you please point me into the right direction how to downgrade my 7.2 to an older release first? Also, has anyone experience with that?
14th January 2020, 09:25 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Can confirm that at least with old stock it is still unlockable. Broke my last one. Risked buying a new one today and thankfully it was on the September security patch.
Unlocking worked just fine. Didn't even have to reboot to get OEM Unlock to light up after enabling WiFi this time.

Was worried that since WiFi is needed to be enabled to get OEM unlock to light up that maybe unlocking could be blocked even on older versions. Nope, still unlockable =D
14th January 2020, 09:28 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Are we talking about the build number? Mine is 00WW_1_390.

Any possibility to downgrade for real? How can I do that?
15th January 2020, 01:09 AM |#24  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagsmodell

Look in the ROMS section. There are a couple of posts identified as TOOLS.

I have not personally used either ; buy they are supposed to be able to provide ability to flash stock, to include downgrading.
17th January 2020, 04:06 PM |#25  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagsmodell

Did you device come with the 1_390 update? Or it is the most recent that you have installed? It is with the December security patch?
If you have installed the most recent update yourself and it is still on December patch. Then you can change your boot slot to the inactive one. Then reboot the bootloader and issue the unlock command. Should do fine.
Code:
fastboot getvar current-slot
fastboot --set-active=b
(Change the "b" in the above command to "a" if you currently active slot is "b".

I can't say about the stability and reliability of a custom ROM though. There are bugs, if you can live with those.
19th January 2020, 05:45 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
If anyone does get a downgrade method working where the phone started with the crappy locked bootloader please post here how it's done. I would love it if this phone got some more developer love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhnsk

Code:
fastboot getvar current-slot
fastboot --set-active=b
(Change the "b" in the above command to "a" if you currently active slot is "b".

I think fastboot --set-active=other works as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhnsk

I can't say about the stability and reliability of a custom ROM though. There are bugs, if you can live with those.

Currently running the Lineage rom. The broken things are:
  • Double tap to wake
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth media audio (phone works fine)
  • fingerprint scrolling (authentication works fine)
  • Camera quality is poor

Other than that though it's great. Personally prefer it much more than stock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CGarz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CGarz Ad-Free
6th February 2020, 04:08 AM |#27  
Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGarz

Can confirm that it is still unlockable. Got 2 of them today from Argos in the UK (Scotland). They are on 00WW_1_130 with security batch from 2019/08/05.

Only thing I had to do was enable internet and reboot to get the option to stop being greyed out.

Thanks for this tip, I just picked up one of these today - was able to get the store assistant to confirm the date they recieved them so I knew I would be getting an older one. Got it home and found it had the 1_130 firmware but the OEM unlocking option was disabled. Initially I had no SIM or WIFI because I was scared the device would autoupdate, but as you said, had to turn on WiFi and reboot to get the option enabled.

I did have more trouble after that, the bootloader would crash when I plugged into my PC to unlock with fastboot, screen would drop back to white AndroidOne background with tiny text in top left "press any key to shutdown". I updated my android platform tools but that didn't help. In the end, it turned out to (probably) have been the cable I was using - my Oneplus 5T cable. When I swapped for the included Nokia cable it worked.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Oh one more question - once the bootloader is unlocked will OTA updates still work? If so, will installing them relock the bootloader?
6th February 2020, 06:16 AM |#28  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-ninja

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Oh one more question - once the bootloader is unlocked will OTA updates still work? If so, will installing them relock the bootloader?

Hi, your updates should still work. The updates cannot lock the bootloader. Full updates will always install. Incremental updates will not install if you're rooted or you have tampered any of the device partitions.
However, remember that not only did they disabled the ability to unlock, they have also disabled the ability to lock the bootloader. So, if at some point you'd wanna lock it, you'll have to downgrade the phone first.
The Following User Says Thank You to singhnsk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift singhnsk Ad-Free
6th February 2020, 11:53 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

Thanks for this tip, I just picked up one of these today - was able to get the store assistant to confirm the date they recieved them so I knew I would be getting an older one. Got it home and found it had the 1_130 firmware but the OEM unlocking option was disabled. Initially I had no SIM or WIFI because I was scared the device would autoupdate, but as you said, had to turn on WiFi and reboot to get the option enabled.

I did have more trouble after that, the bootloader would crash when I plugged into my PC to unlock with fastboot, screen would drop back to white AndroidOne background with tiny text in top left "press any key to shutdown". I updated my android platform tools but that didn't help. In the end, it turned out to (probably) have been the cable I was using - my Oneplus 5T cable. When I swapped for the included Nokia cable it worked.

So with which version did you phone come, please? You did not update, and unlocked bootloader without problem, with tutorial in this thread? And did you try downloading updates now? Thanks
6th February 2020, 10:47 PM |#30  
Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkoslav

So with which version did you phone come, please? You did not update, and unlocked bootloader without problem, with tutorial in this thread? And did you try downloading updates now? Thanks

The factory installed firmware was version 00WW_1_130 with security patch from 2019/08/05. I specifically asked the store assistant to check the date they received their stock and requested one from their oldest batch which they got in August. If you want a phone without the new firmware installed, I suggest going to a place that probably doesn't sell a lot of phones (I went to harvey norman in Australia) as they are more likely to have old stock (though the 7.2 isn't a popular model anyway so you could get lucky anywhere I guess) and ask to check the receiving date.

The OEM unlocking switch was disabled in developer options when I first booted the phone, but I followed the advice in CGarz' post about enabling internet and rebooting to get it to enable. I was careful to disable "install updates on reboot" from the developer options before I tried this.

I haven't downloaded any updates yet, but raghu says I should still be able to until/unless I install custom recovery or root the device.
7th February 2020, 08:34 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

The factory installed firmware was version 00WW_1_130 with security patch from 2019/08/05. I specifically asked the store assistant to check the date they received their stock and requested one from their oldest batch which they got in August. If you want a phone without the new firmware installed, I suggest going to a place that probably doesn't sell a lot of phones (I went to harvey norman in Australia) as they are more likely to have old stock (though the 7.2 isn't a popular model anyway so you could get lucky anywhere I guess) and ask to check the receiving date.

The OEM unlocking switch was disabled in developer options when I first booted the phone, but I followed the advice in CGarz' post about enabling internet and rebooting to get it to enable. I was careful to disable "install updates on reboot" from the developer options before I tried this.

I haven't downloaded any updates yet, but raghu says I should still be able to until/unless I install custom recovery or root the device.

Well, thank You so much for Your reply. I'll be getting my 7.2 probably next week, so i want to be ready to unlock bootloader and root. But i hope it's safe, don't want to brick phone first day lol.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nokia 7.2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)