Thanks Meter: 72

Post Reply Email Thread
27th February 2020, 10:26 PM |#41  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strahota

Not sure if a clean downgrade path for those with a locked bootloader has been identified yet.

I guess ill keep digging ... and ill post here as soon as i find something useful.
Honestly, thank you for trying to help.
Much appreciated.

Welcome.

A quick search on the file you referenced indicates that it is an actual zipped file.

I've not used it nor have any association with it so use at your own risk.

Here is where I found info of what is supposed to be in zipped file and how to use it.

Two links on site I found one to download file you referenced and other to link below.

Maybe it will help. Be sure to check files for bugs as I'm not saying this is the best way. I'm only trying to help with info we have at this time.

https://www.inarguide.com/install-ro...e-loader-qfil/

NOTE: If you are successful I can vouch for the flash tools posted by @raghu_varma

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using XDA Labs
28th February 2020, 04:16 PM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
QFIL is unable to detect device nor the rom.
I sent you one PM with more detailed explanation.
Also, after almost 2 days of searching, im almost ready to give up on this.
28th February 2020, 07:49 PM |#43  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

QFIL is unable to detect device nor the rom.
I sent you one PM with more detailed explanation.
Also, after almost 2 days of searching, im almost ready to give up on this.

QFIL needs the device in Qualcomm's EDL programmer mode (9008 QDLoader). The only way you can trigger EDL on the Nokia phones is by disassembling the device and shorting the respective pins on the mainboard. Even then, the official firmware does not come with an EMMC programmer file for the device. And we cannot use a generic file since that can permanetly corrupt the EMMC and/or the SOC's memory.
The only meaningful means is via Nokia Care or using paid remote flashing services (which will use Nokia Care or other aftermarket paid tools) to perform a downgrade. The bootloader needs elevation before it will flash partitions on a locked bootloader. This is done by solving the one-time auth challenge and then passing the binary response to the device to get the repair permission up (
Code:
fastboot oem repair
). The only thing that can solve the challenge is an HMD Server which has the secret private key to sign the response after solving it in the required format. An unsigned response cannot work even if it carries the correct binary data within it.
The Following User Says Thank You to singhnsk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift singhnsk Ad-Free
29th February 2020, 02:13 PM |#44  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thank you singhnsk for giving detailed explanation.
Ultimately, i decided to give up on this phone all together. I went back to the store and just got another brand / model.
Maybe there are no too many of us weirdos who like to have maximum freedom / control over devices that we buy, but Nokia is definitely not in a position to disregard any customer segment.
I wish Nokia all the best, but my Nokia is now returned to the shop mostly due to this limitation.
The Following User Says Thank You to strahota For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift strahota Ad-Free
29th February 2020, 08:47 PM |#45  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:

[…]Maybe there are no too many of us weirdos who like to have maximum freedom / control over devices that we buy, but Nokia is definitely not in a position to disregard any customer segment.
I wish Nokia all the best, but my Nokia is now returned to the shop mostly due to this limitation.

I totally agree couldn't agree more. It's so sad the state of Android these days. Ghoulgle should be forcing all these despicable manufacturers to allow more user freedom.

The only way currently is to try and buy old stock with unlockable firmware. It could be an option worth exploring for you. I had to do it when I broke my last one.

All the best anyway. Hopefully you can find one of the few shreds of freedom left in this desolate Android landscape.

Roll on proper Linux phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to CGarz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CGarz Ad-Free
3rd April 2020, 04:35 PM |#46  
Flag Victoria BC

More
Is the bootloader still not unlockable after the upgrade to Android 10? I am considering this phone, but it REALLY bothers me not being able to unlock it once official support drops so that I could keep using an up-to-date custom ROM...

Nokia support said they are relying this information to the development team since it appears to be a very common feeling among current and potential users, but I have no real hope that they will do anything bout it.
3rd April 2020, 09:12 PM |#47  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by player18

Is the bootloader still not unlockable after the upgrade to Android 10? I am considering this phone, but it REALLY bothers me not being able to unlock it once official support drops so that I could keep using an up-to-date custom ROM...

Nokia support said they are relying this information to the development team since it appears to be a very common feeling among current and potential users, but I have no real hope that they will do anything bout it.

Nothing still. The bootloader doesn't recognize the unlock commands. And the only way to unlock (still) is to go back to the previous version where it was unlockable by using a remote flashing service.
As for what's changed with Android 10, the bootloader unlocked warning now has a link to Nokia's support webpages, instead of the Google ones. Maybe they are planning sonething; maybe it's nothing.
3rd April 2020, 11:57 PM |#48  
Flag Victoria BC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhnsk

Nothing still. The bootloader doesn't recognize the unlock commands. And the only way to unlock (still) is to go back to the previous version where it was unlockable by using a remote flashing service.
As for what's changed with Android 10, the bootloader unlocked warning now has a link to Nokia's support webpages, instead of the Google ones. Maybe they are planning something; maybe it's nothing.

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like we're still at the same point.
7th April 2020, 06:54 AM |#49  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 119

More
will i receive future system updates from hmd if i just unlock bootloader without rooting and install viper4android flashable zip ??
7th April 2020, 07:43 AM |#50  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunragav

will i receive future system updates from hmd if i just unlock bootloader without rooting and install viper4android flashable zip ??

Updates aren't impacted due to unlock status. You'll continue to get updates. However, in case you tamper any parts of the system or other partitions, you won't be able to install the update successfully. I believe that's same for any other OEM. Using Viper's systemless modules shouldn't cause any tampering though.
7th April 2020, 01:40 PM |#51  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhnsk

Updates aren't impacted due to unlock status. You'll continue to get updates. However, in case you tamper any parts of the system or other partitions, you won't be able to install the update successfully. I believe that's same for any other OEM. Using Viper's systemless modules shouldn't cause any tampering though.

Thanks for the info. Just to be clear.. I won't have problems with updates even if I unlock bootloader.. if I use the flashable zip for viper I think it's gonna install as system app, so that means I'll have trouble with future updates because of viper? And also u mentioned systemless viper module I think u r referring to magisk module? Updates won't get affected even if I root using magisk?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nokia 7.2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)