FORUMS

Bootloader Unlock

1,581 posts
Thanks Meter: 365
 
By theandroidguy, Senior Member on 2nd March 2018, 05:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
The Nokia 7 Plus is a perfect midrange premium device and supports Treble too but what bothers me is the lack of an official bootloader unlock method. From Nokia's past actions its very difficult to guess what Nokia will offer in 2018, at first this phone excited me but the past events disappointed again. Hope Nokia atleast offers official bootloader unlock method, if not kernel sources, then also we'll be able to flash a GSI on it
2nd March 2018, 02:51 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 64
 
More
isn't nokia obliged to have the bootloader of this device unlockable, considering it has an android one monicker? i expected this phone to support the bootloader unlocking via fastboot just like the google phones.
2nd March 2018, 04:22 PM |#3  
theandroidguy's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 365
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoy1943

isn't nokia obliged to have the bootloader of this device unlockable, considering it has an android one monicker? i expected this phone to support the bootloader unlocking via fastboot just like the google phones.

xactly man........pointed out the right thing, I missed it...... @phhusson as we were discussing about the nokia devices, they might be unlockable like the Mi A1 and other android One devices
4th March 2018, 10:45 PM |#4  
Natakranta's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 6,152
 
More
That's what I'm counting on. So far Nokia was throwing me off because they don't allow to unlock bootloader despite saying months ago they acknowledge community is requesting it and that they will discuss it whit their dev team (that was one of Nokia marketing guys)
Xiaomi had to allow regular bootloader unlock through fastboot command like Nexus and Pixel (without asking Xiaomi for permission and waiting 2 weeks till they grant it to you like with all regular Xiaomi devices)
My hope is that Nokia 7 plus will have to work the same way being Android One phone.
One thing I noticed is it has its own Nokia camera app the same way MiA1 has Xiaomi Camera app. Hoping that with unlocked bootloader, rooted, there will be no problem using moded Google Camera app. Or maybe Nokia camera app will be so good there will be no point bothering with Google Camera app, maybe for portrait mode.
5th March 2018, 04:29 AM |#5  
theandroidguy's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 365
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natakranta

That's what I'm counting on. So far Nokia was throwing me off because they don't allow to unlock bootloader despite saying months ago they acknowledge community is requesting it and that they will discuss it whit their dev team (that was one of Nokia marketing guys)
Xiaomi had to allow regular bootloader unlock through fastboot command like Nexus and Pixel (without asking Xiaomi for permission and waiting 2 weeks till they grant it to you like with all regular Xiaomi devices)
My hope is that Nokia 7 plus will have to work the same way being Android One phone.
One thing I noticed is it has its own Nokia camera app the same way MiA1 has Xiaomi Camera app. Hoping that with unlocked bootloader, rooted, there will be no problem using moded Google Camera app. Or maybe Nokia camera app will be so good there will be no point bothering with Google Camera app, maybe for portrait mode.

If the Nokia camera app turns out to be good enough, someone on XDA will port it to other devices too.
7th March 2018, 05:07 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 72
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom928

The Nokia 7 Plus is a perfect midrange premium device and supports Treble too but what bothers me is the lack of an official bootloader unlock method. From Nokia's past actions its very difficult to guess what Nokia will offer in 2018, at first this phone excited me but the past events disappointed again. Hope Nokia atleast offers official bootloader unlock method, if not kernel sources, then also we'll be able to flash a GSI on it

What price of Nokia 7+ in India and when launched
7th March 2018, 05:44 PM |#7  
theandroidguy's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 365
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j€nish

What price of Nokia 7+ in India and when launched

I think it will be under 30k, fingers crossed
8th March 2018, 03:29 AM |#8  
Junior Member
Flag fuzhou
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
The Chinese version of Nokia will not provide unlocking, the Chinese forum said
8th March 2018, 03:48 AM |#9  
theandroidguy's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 365
 
More
[QUOTE=娇身
8th March 2018, 03:12 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 64
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 娇身冠养

The Chinese version of Nokia will not provide unlocking, the Chinese forum said

should be expected, what with pervasive paranoia in there...
The Following User Says Thank You to ondoy1943 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ondoy1943 Ad-Free
9th March 2018, 06:54 AM |#11  
Junior Member
Flag fuzhou
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoy1943

should be expected, what with pervasive paranoia in there...

If Nokia can't unlock, then I won't choose to buy Nokia
The Following User Says Thank You to 娇身冠养 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 娇身冠养 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes