FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to root your Nokia 8, and keep the ability to do official OTA updates

36 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By Trissi, Member on 29th September 2018, 03:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So as the official bootloader unlock broadened the audience of this from tinkerers/developers to basically everyone I thought this guide might me helpful for some...

PREREQUISITES:
- Unlocked bootloader (official or unofficial)
- latest magisk manager installed on phone (https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases)
- latest fastboot and adb binaries from google(https://developer.android.com/studio...platform-tools)
- latest twrp.img to boot (NOT FLASH), zip not needed (https://eu.dl.twrp.me/NB1/)
- Fully stock partitions (if you do not have this reflash latest stock via ostla), as OTA updates will do a integrity check.
- PC with WIN/OSX/LINUX with USB port^^ (on windows you might have to add .exe to the commands)
- disable automatic system updates in developer options, as you will still have to manually root the updated partition, so this makes sure you don't miss it. You still get notifications on available updates and can apply them easily(as you will see)

SETUP_STEPS:
1. Go into Magisk manager and "just download" the latest zip
2.1 Run
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
or reboot into download/fastboot mode via other means
2.2 Run
Code:
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-1-NB1.img
(change this when your version of twrp differs)
2.3 Flash the .zip magisk downloaded in 1.)
2.4 Reboot.

Congratulations you now have root!

STEPS_TO_UPDATE:
1. Go into Magisk Manager -> Uninstall -> Restore Images
2. Apply Update, DO NOT REBOOT YET
3. When step to finished and it promts you to reboot go into Magisk Manager -> Install -> Install to inactive Slot

Congratulations you can now reboot and will have an updated Android while keeping full root.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trissi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Trissi Ad-Free
29th September 2018, 03:16 PM |#2  
OP Member

More
ALTERNATIVE GUIDE (without twrp, using prerooted boot.img)
(works for newest patch level, where twrp isn't working yet)

this guide works on newest patches as long as someone provides a prerooted boot.img.
So basically you either need a boot.img available or twrp...
Hopefully this helps until TWRP is compatible with September Security Patch

LINKS:
stock boot.img: (may to october patches)
https://cloud.vault81.de/s/fnoizKwi8kNF3Rg

prerooted boot.img: (may to october patches)
https://cloud.vault81.de/s/AeHiE5HR2qonb3N

PREREQUISITES:
- same as above minus twrp
- patched/prerooted boot image (either create it yourself or use link provided here)

STEPS_TO_ROOT:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
or get into download mode otherwise
Code:
fastboot boot NB1_prerooted_boot.img
1.1. The phone will boot into an temporarily rooted state,
2. Use magisk manager-> Install -> "Direct Install" to persist the root.
3. Reboot

Congrats you now have root even on versions where twrp isn't working yet....

Edit1:
Added link to all stock boot images from may to october security

Edit2:
Did the same for magisk prerooted

Edit3:
Added November images thanks to @czupyt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trissi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Trissi Ad-Free
29th September 2018, 04:21 PM |#3  
Flag Manama
Thanks Meter: 282

More
TWRP isnt working right now so whoever updated to September patch cant do anything except unlock bootloader. Unless someone can pull a boot.img from the newest patch so we can all patch it through Magisk and get root.
29th September 2018, 04:50 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman38102

TWRP isnt working right now so whoever updated to September patch cant do anything except unlock bootloader. Unless someone can pull a boot.img from the newest patch so we can all patch it through Magisk and get root.

I can try to do that once I get back home tomorrow...
I have working magisk on september patch so I should have both prerooted and Stock (cause Magisk backups those)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trissi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Trissi Ad-Free
29th September 2018, 05:17 PM |#5  
Flag Manama

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trissi

I can try to do that once I get back home tomorrow...
I have working magisk on september patch so I should have both prerooted and Stock (cause Magisk backups those)

That would be much appreciated. Alot of people who just unlocked bootloader cant root and the maintainer of our TWRP will take a couple of days
29th September 2018, 09:38 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
indeed
29th September 2018, 10:46 PM |#7  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 85

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Simple Solution: A/B Partition System.

One Slot is the September Update, the other is August Update.
Update to September, Unlock, witch to other Slot with August Update, Boot Offical TWRP 3.2.3-0 (-1 not booting tho).
Now you can Install the Install Zip for the August BL and Magisk.
Bootup and use Magisk for Inactive Slot.

So did I, but I'm still on August Slot, I'll try to root the September Boot Partiton, and Install TWRP later when Fix arrived.

But rooted September doens't seem very... Stable
The Following User Says Thank You to LoaderFabi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LoaderFabi Ad-Free
29th September 2018, 11:21 PM |#8  
Flag Manama

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoaderFabi

Simple Solution: A/B Partition System.

One Slot is the September Update, the other is August Update.
Update to September, Unlock, witch to other Slot with August Update, Boot Offical TWRP 3.2.3-0 (-1 not booting tho).
Now you can Install the Install Zip for the August BL and Magisk.
Bootup and use Magisk for Inactive Slot.

So did I, but I'm still on August Slot, I'll try to root the September Boot Partiton, and Install TWRP later when Fix arrived.

But rooted September doens't seem very... Stable

I'm already about to install the September patch again. I downgraded to May so I could root my phone and provide the clean boot.img from the stock September so people can root without twrp. And honestly A/B partition is still new to me that I still don't understand it
29th September 2018, 11:25 PM |#9  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 85

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'm already about to install the September patch again. I downgraded to May so I could root my phone and provide the clean boot.img from the stock September so people can root without twrp. And honestly A/B partition is still new to me that I still don't understand it

A/B system is not Complex at all. It's just having 2x a Partiton Group (Boot, System, OEM and Recovery I think) and having the ability with Fatboot to simply switch between group A and group B.
You Inital Set up Partiton A (Nokia did for us with Nougat 7.1.1). If you Update, the Update will be extracted to Partition B, aftzer finishing you reboot to Partiton Group B, leaving group A untouched in Case of Error on Partition B.

That's it pretty much.
29th September 2018, 11:51 PM |#10  
Flag Manama

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoaderFabi

A/B system is not Complex at all. It's just having 2x a Partiton Group (Boot, System, OEM and Recovery I think) and having the ability with Fatboot to simply switch between group A and group B.
You Inital Set up Partiton A (Nokia did for us with Nougat 7.1.1). If you Update, the Update will be extracted to Partition B, aftzer finishing you reboot to Partiton Group B, leaving group A untouched in Case of Error on Partition B.

That's it pretty much.

No I get that but its just that I forget cuz this is my first phone with a/b partition. Anyway I got the phone to latest patch rooted so I'll see if I can get the untouched img
30th September 2018, 02:45 PM |#11  
Flag Dakar
Thanks Meter: 7

More
i'm on september security update and followed the seconde guide, but still show the android logo not booting the phone
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)