FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How I downgraded from Pie to Oreo

13 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By Optimus_Toaster, Junior Member on 9th January 2019, 07:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is how I downgraded from Pie to Oreo. I can't guarantee it works for everyone but it worked for me. It required an SD card and a computer.

This is not a guide for the android development savy users but for people who preferred oreo to pie. It works without an unlocked bootloader and a rooted phone. You will have to wipe your data so backup everything beforehand!

1) First download the zip that includes Oreo with the November security patch and put it in the root of the SD card.
I have found links for both TA1012 and TA1004 but reportedly they both work for all Nokia 8 phones as the main payload.bin file is the same. I used the TA1012 zip with my TA1012 phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THMSP

https://android.googleapis.com/packa...9843eb2d39.zip

Don't worry about the TA-1004 stuff, all Nokia 8 software is generic, only google makes a difference between the model IDs.

MD5: 07e5b0c46e86919a66d2e6279613047d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBeers

Rollback for TA-1012 from Pie Beta to Latest Oreo
Official link just captured a minute ago.
https://android.googleapis.com/packa...15fffb784e.zip

MD5: e00affc410525d63200c0c18bc8e0622

2) Boot into recovery mode.
a) To do this on Pie, plug your phone into a computer and wait for the drivers to get installed. Windows 7 downloaded a few megabytes from windows update for this.
b) Unplug your phone and turn it off. Hold Volume up and plug your phone into your computer. Keeping holding volume up.
c) When the sad android appears with 'No command' showing, release Vol+. Hold the power button and press Vol+ to get into the recovery menu.

3) Use the Vol+ and Vol- to navigate down to 'Apply Update From SD card' click the power button to select it. In the next menu select the downloaded zip file. It'll then verify the downloaded zip and install it. This takes a few minutes.

4) Select Wipe data/factory reset from the recovery menu. You need to do this cause data created on Pie doesn't work on Oreo.

5) Finally select Reboot system now and it'll boot into Oreo. This takes a few minutes.

Hopefully this helps someone. Thanks to @THMSP, @TeddyBeers and @al mak for various posts that helped me downgrade and write this guide.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Optimus_Toaster For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Optimus_Toaster Ad-Free

9th January 2019, 10:17 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 62

More
That's exactly the way to do it.

Actually works both ways as upgrade or downgrade, as Nokia kindly provides full rom oreo/pie instead of just incremental update.
17th January 2019, 03:15 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Usb debug need to be enabled or not?
21st January 2019, 11:42 PM |#4  

More
Setup updates from Android 8 back to Android 9 Again
Useful guide, thanks, but after downgrading from Pie to Oreo how do you avoid being forced to upgrade to Pie again in setup, after you Wipe data/factory reset the phone?

I downgraded back to Oreo from Pie, but when I restart in setup I get forced to search for updates and it finds, downloads and installs the Pie update again, and I dont seem to be able to avoid it?
28th January 2019, 05:15 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Disable in Developer Options
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb111

Useful guide, thanks, but after downgrading from Pie to Oreo how do you avoid being forced to upgrade to Pie again in setup, after you Wipe data/factory reset the phone?

I downgraded back to Oreo from Pie, but when I restart in setup I get forced to search for updates and it finds, downloads and installs the Pie update again, and I dont seem to be able to avoid it?

You have to enable Developer Options then disable Automatic system updates. You will always get the notification that a system update is available but it will not download automatically. Going further, you can even turn this notification off and forget about it.
29th January 2019, 02:50 PM |#6  

More
The problem is that it happens before you get to a point where I know how to access the developer menu to do that.

It happens during the setup wizard, which I can't see how to complete without selecting a wifi network or mobile network, it then searches for downloads and installs the update before it sets up the phone and drops me at the home screen.
1st February 2019, 10:22 PM |#7  
Flag Chatswood, NSW, Australia
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb111

The problem is that it happens before you get to a point where I know how to access the developer menu to do that.

It happens during the setup wizard, which I can't see how to complete without selecting a wifi network or mobile network, it then searches for downloads and installs the update before it sets up the phone and drops me at the home screen.

I've been having the same issue. I think it is new. I've done the process as early as January 9th with no forced update. As of yesterday it is forced. I've posted my experience in the thread for NOST. Pie may be life now because there are no custom ROMs and I expect all Oreo ROMs to have the force update thing inside them.
2nd February 2019, 08:39 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ululalbab

Usb debug need to be enabled or not?

Not as far as I am aware, though it might be needed if you are booting into recovery mode bia adb.
2nd February 2019, 09:03 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
@nb111 @hodiedodie

Is it possible to either get through the entire setup without connecting to any network - you will have to forgo logging into a google account at first. Or only use mobile data in the hopes that google is smart enough to realise that people don't want to download 1.5GB on their data plans?
2nd February 2019, 09:58 PM |#10  
Flag Chatswood, NSW, Australia
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Toaster

@nb111 @hodiedodie

Is it possible to either get through the entire setup without connecting to any network - you will have to forgo logging into a google account at first. Or only use mobile data in the hopes that google is smart enough to realise that people don't want to download 1.5GB on their data plans?

I doubt I'll do this myself but I would suggest doing a man in the middle attack on the phone with arpspoof in a Linux distro. Use Wireshark to see what servers it calls out to. Then I would go in my home WiFi router and block those IP addresses. Then reset the phone and connect to the WiFi network and see if that works.
13th February 2019, 04:43 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Ok solved this one, had to Update to P remove the Google Account linked to the Device and downgrade again.
It's Part of the Factory Reset Protection that you cant skip the Wifi and Update Screens.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)