Modded Google Camera with HDR+ on Nokia 8

Search This thread

Bacchinif

May 30, 2018
Napoli
I'm sorry but it doesn't make any sense to use Google Camera without setting the number of pictures at least to 15-20. Having multiple shots with different exposures of the same scene is crucial to improve low-light capabilities and noise reduction.

ears1991

Apr 23, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm sorry but it doesn't make any sense to use Google Camera without setting the number of pictures at least to 15-20. Having multiple shots with different exposures of the same scene is crucial to improve low-light capabilities and noise reduction.
Doesn't that many exposures cause slow capture? Even on default number, the details seem better than Nokia cam just because there is less de-noising

It makes sense, as algorithm itself is better than HMD's.

Besides, with that many pictures for one shot, you loose ZSL (Zero Shutter Lag) and can easily end up with a blurred photo due to hand movement and long capture process.

Hedincheg

May 5, 2018
Hello there.
I use cstark27_GCam_5.1.018_24_v4.1 for a pretty long time, but I got Pie update today and now wondering should I try some newer GCam build.
Could you advise one and tell about the settings needed? I'm not very good with that...
Thanks.

webvan

May 20, 2008
The Pixel 3 linked just above works well for me too.

One question, can you force "Night Sight" upon launch?

Bacchinif

May 30, 2018
Napoli
As of right now the most complete version is the latest Tolyaann. It had a lot s features and everything works fine except for Slow Motion.
The app is great but it need too much computational work for our SD 835 as it's meant to work on SD 845. As soon as you set the number of frames above 25 it crashes.

In my opinion it's most important to get a super sharp and less noisy image that using the ZSL feature. If you're interested in "snapshots" just use the stock camera from HMD.

webvan

May 20, 2008
I'm using the P3 app and it works well but I'd like to be able to start in "Night Sight" mode, anyone know if that's possible ?
Also that mode seems to be some kind of "do it all mode" that combines HDR, HDR+, HDR Enhanced from the other ports.

lona79

Jan 20, 2009
Hi,
what is the best version for Oreo 8.1?
I need the best version for "tip and shoot", night mode, portrait.
Thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since there is no such thread here yet, I wanted to start discussion about using modded Google Camera from this thread on Nokia 8 (mostly what's best configuration and version).

What doesn't work:
    - Slow Motion in 6.1.x
    - HDR+ in 6.1.x when number of shots is set higher than 20

What works:
    - HDR+ (including auto HDR with ZSL on both front and rear cameras)
    - Night Sight (only on 6.1.x ports and higher)
    - Portrait mode on both front and rear cameras (replaces lens blur mode from older versions of Google Camera)
    - Motion Pictures (only on Oreo and higher and only with rear camera set to 16:9 ratio and flash disabled)
    - Slow Motion video recording (only on 5.x GCam, broken again on 6.1.x ports)
    - Spherical photos
    - Panorama
    AR Playground (only with 6.1.x ports, you must also install ARCore first)

Recommended for Pie (based on GCam 6.1.x): MGC_6.1.021_BSG_Arnova-based_v.1.2_TlnNeun.apk

Recommended for Oreo (based on GCam 5.x): GoogleCamera-Pixel2Mod-Arnova8G2-V8.apk

Site with all APKs listed: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/
    pics taken with Tolyan009's 0.2b build of v6.2 Google Cam:
    The quality of the photo is messed up a bit by the imgur upload
    4KTQHYJ.jpg

IvEMM4X.jpg
    New version released by Aranova8g2
    https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/#apk228
    Based on new google camera 5.2x
    Now slow motion works too.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk
    This is taken in total dark, literally
    How can there be shadows on the floor if it was in total darkness? Come on man
    I would say the best version is actually by BSG/tolyan MGC_5.3.015_B-S-G-based_v.1.0.14_final_TlnNeun

Cstark 3.5 can nail the colour pretty well but tend to blur out the noises. It would be ideal to do that providing the Nokia can hit focus. However, under low light nokia's focus tend to be a bit whacky and there's always a bit of blurring, and double blurring makes the photo look a bit bad.

The one by bsg/tolyan produces images that has sharpness, reminding me a bit of my Nexus 5x (the camera on that phone was a beast..). There is a bit more noise but the trade off is better in lower light, imo.

However, occasionally you do get a photo with some whacky hdr/colour effect. Likewise on occasions with cstark.

Hi, I followed your suggestion and installed the latest version by Tolyan009 which is based on 5.3 BSG porting. I also have on the phone the latest CStark stable with the wide/standard angle (based on 5.1).
    Unfortunately there's no "best version" at all, as you always have to put things in perspective:

- Arnova's versions are, usually, the ones with more features: motion photos, slow motion, AR Stickers and so on, but there are a lot of downsides. His portings are unusable in low-light conditions as most of the shadows turns blue/violet. I tried almost everything to make them work, but nothing changed.

- CStark's works best on LG phones, but, as of right now, it's clearly the winner on Nokia 8: colors are always natural, especially in shadows and low light conditions. The only downsides of this versions are: no motion photos, no slow motion and plus you can't sed a "maximum shutter speed". This means that in extremely low-light conditions you may shoot at 1/2 of sec, which you definitely can't handle without a tripod. I know you can change the shutter speed to "medium" instead of "super slow", but for some reasons this will make the app increase the ISO also in good light conditions.

- Tolyan's latest version is good and I'm really surprised, I must say. It's very good for what concern all the options that it gives you and apparently has also a better dynamic range (noticeable only in portrait mode) than CStark. Plus it has all the "extra features" of Arnova's version (you can set a "safe shutted speed limit" at 1/10) and it seems to be pretty much stable. The only big downside of this version is: capabilities in low light. Even if I let the app to shoot at a very slow shutter speed (1/2) it's not able to merge all the shots in a decent photo and it will turn out totally black.

Shot on Nokia 8 with CStark's version. Shutter speed 1/2. I used a tripod. The photo is retouched, but not very different from the original JPEG. Shutter speed was set to "super slow". Plus I also want to say that the original scene was completely dark. I'm going to add another picture of the same scene taken with another smartphone in minutes.

You can click the image to enlarge it.

Same scene: taken with a Nokia 6.1 without Google Camera installed: