FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

OTG

62 posts
Thanks Meter: 4
 
By ran816, Member on 8th June 2015, 08:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does Nokia N1 got OTG support? I have Tried to connect my USB Flash through OTG cable but doesn't work for me ....
 
 
15th June 2015, 10:32 AM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Doesn't work for me either >_<
26th June 2015, 01:30 PM |#3  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
I don't have an otg cable myself (yet) but can you try to use USB Host Diagnostics (available in play store) and post the report?
12th August 2015, 10:33 AM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
FYI I got an OTG cable myself and it didn't work. I dug a bit deeper and found out that OTG is most likely not implemented because Nokia N1 is using legacy usb controller over usb C - see below:

Quote:

Converting USB 2.0 OTG SoCs to USB Type-C
While existing Device, Host, and DRD devices can be converted to support the USB Type-C connection with some effort, it is not practical to convert existing OTG SoCs. OTG requires a new state machine using the configuration channel to support USB Type-C. Host Negotiation Protocol is used to swap host and device role for OTG, while Power Delivery communication is used to change roles for USB Type-C. Combined, these challenges preclude simple upgrades of OTC SoCs to USB Type-C. - See more at: https://www.synopsys.com/Company/Pub....Ri02Guwe.dpuf

The only chance to get otg to work is most likely preparing a kernel patch (are the sources even available?) to manually switch the connector to host mode and power the attached device externally
19th August 2015, 12:11 AM |#5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
After a bit of hacking around I was able to enable usb otg on my N1!
I've had a look at kernel sources for device with similar SoC (Nexus Player) and saw an interesting debugfs entry. To my surprise it worked like a charm and immediately detected the attached usb hub with a thumb drive, it even powered the hub so I didn't have to use an external power source!
To enable host mode, the following command has to be enterted in root console:
echo A > /sys/kernel/debug/usb/dwc3_debugfs_root/otg_id

Caveats (will try to find a way to resolve them):
- after enabling host mode N1, won't charge from the usb port - a reboot is required to enable the charging again
- probably same is true for pheripherial mode (connecting n1 to a pc). In theory, changing a to b in the above echo command should bring the tablet back to normal mode but for some reason it won't charge without a reboot so I'm assuming that same is true for non otg usb connectivity. Will have a look at the sources and debug messages to find out what's going on
18th December 2015, 05:35 AM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodz69

After a bit of hacking around I was able to enable usb otg on my N1!
I've had a look at kernel sources for device with similar SoC (Nexus Player) and saw an interesting debugfs entry. To my surprise it worked like a charm and immediately detected the attached usb hub with a thumb drive, it even powered the hub so I didn't have to use an external power source!
To enable host mode, the following command has to be enterted in root console:
echo A > /sys/kernel/debug/usb/dwc3_debugfs_root/otg_id

Caveats (will try to find a way to resolve them):
- after enabling host mode N1, won't charge from the usb port - a reboot is required to enable the charging again
- probably same is true for pheripherial mode (connecting n1 to a pc). In theory, changing a to b in the above echo command should bring the tablet back to normal mode but for some reason it won't charge without a reboot so I'm assuming that same is true for non otg usb connectivity. Will have a look at the sources and debug messages to find out what's going on

Thanks for your hard job.
I have tried on my N1. It is amazing that otg did work. However, the otg can not coexist with charging function as yours. Hope someone could find a solution.
18th December 2015, 09:32 AM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adagiov

Thanks for your hard job.
I have tried on my N1. It is amazing that otg did work. However, the otg can not coexist with charging function as yours. Hope someone could find a solution.

Hey,
Are you on Android 5.1.1 or 5.0 ?
I've had a look at the code of the usb driver of the a phone with similar chipset (asus zenfone 5) and it seems that the source of the problem is that the tablet fails to detect an appropriate charger type, which could mean either that the otg cable does not support this or the code of the driver does not work properly with usb C. Was wondering if something changed around this after the update?
18th December 2015, 11:59 AM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodz69

Hey,
Are you on Android 5.1.1 or 5.0 ?
I've had a look at the code of the usb driver of the a phone with similar chipset (asus zenfone 5) and it seems that the source of the problem is that the tablet fails to detect an appropriate charger type, which could mean either that the otg cable does not support this or the code of the driver does not work properly with usb C. Was wondering if something changed around this after the update?

Hi, mine N1 is still running the android 5.0.
I am afraid Root is the prerequisite to hack otg. Unfortunately, root is not available on android 5.1.1 till now, so even the android 5.1.1 driver support it, that won't help.

Thanks,dude.
18th December 2015, 11:44 PM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 12
 
More
Yeah exactly for that reason I haven't upgraded my tablet yet
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes