Kernel Source Acquired

Search This thread

saagarjha

Dec 25, 2017
Cupertino, California
After a month of back and forth with Barnes and Noble support and numerous references to the GPL, I think I've managed to acquire a copy of the kernel source for this tablet. It's published as a ZIP on Barnes and Noble's website. I haven't spend a whole lot of time with it, as I currently do not have the resources to build it, but from a cursory glance it seems to be reasonable, if in a weird format. I've also mirrored the source on GitLab (unfortunately, GitHub doesn't work with files over 100 MB nicely) for you guys to play with in case the Barnes and Noble link goes down or you'd like a faster download. If you see anything crucial missing, let me know and I'll try to get it fixed by pestering them to give it to me!

Reactions: ipdev

gerryl432

Feb 16, 2016
After a month of back and forth with Barnes and Noble support and numerous references to the GPL, I think I've managed to acquire a copy of the kernel source for this tablet. It's published as a ZIP on Barnes and Noble's website. I haven't spend a whole lot of time with it, as I currently do not have the resources to build it, but from a cursory glance it seems to be reasonable, if in a weird format. I've also mirrored the source on GitLab (unfortunately, GitHub doesn't work with files over 100 MB nicely) for you guys to play with in case the Barnes and Noble link goes down or you'd like a faster download. If you see anything crucial missing, let me know and I'll try to get it fixed by pestering them to give it to me!
What resources do you need. I picked up the new bn 7 tablet the other day. It's the 650 model. I have Ubuntu and superr kitchen

Edit: screen smashed...will donate the board to someone for Dev...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019
A big issue that i'm having with this source is I can't figure out which defconfig to use for this device

Jun 29, 2019
I have recently built LineageOS 15.1 for the Nook Tablet 7" (Only st18c7bnn/bntv460) and have looked over the kernel source and found that this source code is essentially useless because it is missing the lcm code, which controls screen and touchscreen. I do not see them releasing full kernel source for this device or for the oreo model in the future as every time I've called I have had no luck getting anything from them. If anyone else is willing to try to ask for kernel source from them, please do since it is not only their legal obligation to give it with all of their modifications, but also a huge help for development. The st16c7bnn & st18c7bnn both use the same LCM, although for some reason, st16c7bnn(the marshmallow device) is 64bit while st18c7bnn(oreo) is 32bit only.

saagarjha

Dec 25, 2017
Cupertino, California
I have recently built LineageOS 15.1 for the Nook Tablet 7" (Only st18c7bnn/bntv460) and have looked over the kernel source and found that this source code is essentially useless because it is missing the lcm code

So, if I'm understanding correctly you have a non-functional LineageOS? Or is it that the st18c7bnn is the only one that needs the LCM code, and it already works on st18c7bnn (if so, would you mind sharing the build)?

I'd be happy to contact them again (maybe they'll see my old ticket and redirect it to the person who handled that issue), but I would have to know exactly what to ask for because otherwise they are really slow and ask a bunch of questions.

Jun 29, 2019
So, if I'm understanding correctly you have a non-functional LineageOS? Or is it that the st18c7bnn is the only one that needs the LCM code, and it already works on st18c7bnn (if so, would you mind sharing the build)?

I'd be happy to contact them again (maybe they'll see my old ticket and redirect it to the person who handled that issue), but I would have to know exactly what to ask for because otherwise they are really slow and ask a bunch of questions.

Sorry for the long delay in response. Basically, I have an almost perfectly functioning build of LineageOS for st18c7bnn (Nook Tablet 7" 2018 Android Go Edition only), but I wanted the kernel source so I could rebuild the kernel and attempt to merge in security fixes for it. If you have the 2018 model of the device, I'll gladly send the TWRP zip of the rom to you. Seems to work fine, and imo is better than using a gsi. I still have to do more testing, but I'm currently busy with another device. I just want to have the full kernel source (which would include necessary dtb and lcm drivers) for the st18c7bnn and st18c10bnn (Nook Tablet 10.1) like the license the kernel is under should force B&N to do. Since the devices have been discontinued, I figure it's now or never for that, since the longer we wait, the more likely that Emdoor deleted the kernel source off of their machines. But any help is appreciated. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.