FORUMS

[RECOVERY][OVATION][EMMC]Unofficial TWRP 2.7.1.0

185 posts
Thanks Meter: 133

By rhyang, Senior Member on 26th July 2014, 01:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
With help from verygreen and succulent I managed to build TWRP 2.7.1.0 from the omnirom and cm11.0 sources. Here is a download link for a flashable zip (installs to emmc) :

Code:
http://rhysw.com/TWRP/OVATION-TWRP-20140729-recovery.zip
TWRP is a touch recovery with various well-known features. The author has a nice thread on it for the Nexus 7 here :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1779092

Please note that this version does not include F2FS support yet. I'm still working on that

Credits:
verygreen
succulent
Hashcode
Dees_Troy

Prerequisites: you must have another version of TWRP or CWM already installed on your ovation (Nook HD+) to flash this. If you are still on the stock B&N ROM then you need to get a micro-SD card and follow one of the other guides and experiment with installing CM on the Nook.

Why flash this ? Well, for now if you already have TWRP 2.6.3.0 or 2.7.1.0 from succulent's builds, this one isn't going to provide much more functionality. It does handle exFAT-formatted SD cards, but so does succulent's (that is no accident ) But every so often someone wants to know where to go to get TWRP for ovation on XDA, so here ya go I'm also going to provide some help in building this thing for yourself.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rhyang For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rhyang Ad-Free
26th July 2014, 01:30 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag SJC

More
build instructions
There is a very nice thread about building TWRP on XDA here :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=32965365

I started with the CM11 source, which by default builds a CWM recovery for ovation. To build a TWRP recovery image and flashable zip I modified the device tree and used the bootable recovery from omnirom, as in the thread above. To use these, create a local manifest as follows :

Code:
<manifest>

<remote name="omni" fetch="https://github.com/omnirom" />
  <remote name="rhy" fetch="https://github.com/roberthyang" />

<remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery"/>
  <project path="bootable/recovery" name="android_bootable_recovery" remote="omni" revision="android-4.4"/>

<remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_ovation" />
  <project path="device/bn/ovation" name="android_device_bn_ovation" remote="rhy" revision="cm-11.0-twrp"/>

</manifest>
Now refer to the thread above, which has details on what I'm describing next. Resync your CM11 repo to update your bootable/recovery and device/bn/ovation trees. Then run the envsetup.sh script. Lunch to select the ovation device, and finally make the recovery image.

In your $(OUT) folder you should see a zipfile which looks like "OVATION-TWRP-some date here-recovery.zip". That is your flashable zip.
28th July 2014, 01:01 AM |#3  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 1,181

More
Thumbs up
Nice contribution! Although succulent has been progressively updating TWRP for ovation in his CM builds, as a rule he doesn't post his work here on XDA, so this is very useful.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing further progress on F2FS.

Thanks,
Mike T
28th July 2014, 05:33 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Excellent! I don't have much interest in F2FS (yet...), but I'll be happy to get away from CWM as I find it takes an eternity to do a backup. I've always preferred TWRP anyways.

EDIT:
Well I just tried to flash and nothing seems to have changed (still booting to CWM). I took a peek inside the zip and noticed that recovery.img is not in the "root" of the zip, it is actually in OVATION-TWRP-20140725-recovery.zip/home/ryang/cm11/out/target/product/ovation/, and the update script only says to flash "recovery.img" (without the full path). Maybe I'm missing something?
The Following User Says Thank You to sunami88 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sunami88 Ad-Free
28th July 2014, 07:05 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag SJC

More
Deleted
29th July 2014, 02:58 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag SJC

More
Should be fixed now. Have your bootable SD card handy just in case though
25th August 2014, 02:57 PM |#7  
Flag here and here...;)
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Hi Thanks for your input were you able to produce F2FS working version I would love to have it
25th August 2014, 06:28 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag SJC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbig0

Hi Thanks for your input were you able to produce F2FS working version I would love to have it

I figured out how to recompile TWRP with F2FS and experimented with Jon Lee's "yellow kernel". I had hoped to apply the f2fs patches for 3.0 kernels to our CM11 kernel, but have not yet allocated sufficient free time and motivation

In the meantime, I did package TWRP with F2FS and Jon's kernel -- see this post.

I think the yellow kernel is just for CM10.1, but with SELinux support I suspect it will work for recovery purposes just fine (it is a separate kernel from the one you boot your ROM from). I have not tried it though. Let us know how you get on with it
25th August 2014, 07:04 PM |#9  
Flag here and here...;)
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyang

I figured out how to recompile TWRP with F2FS and experimented with Jon Lee's "yellow kernel". I had hoped to apply the f2fs patches for 3.0 kernels to our CM11 kernel, but have not yet allocated sufficient free time and motivation

In the meantime, I did package TWRP with F2FS and Jon's kernel -- see this post.

I think the yellow kernel is just for CM10.1, but with SELinux support I suspect it will work for recovery purposes just fine (it is a separate kernel from the one you boot your ROM from). I have not tried it though. Let us know how you get on with it

Crossfingers that you manage to combine it

"this post" -> you are shooting blanks hehe something wrong with the link but I got it from the code of the page, for others page is:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post54977452
Thanks
25th August 2014, 08:02 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag SJC

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbig0

Crossfingers that you manage to combine it

"this post" -> you are shooting blanks hehe something wrong with the link but I got it from the code of the page, for others page is:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post54977452
Thanks

Obviously the link was not difficult to figure out on your own

It just seems like putting a lot of effort into f2fs-enabled TWRP is kind of pointless without f2fs-enabled ROM's. And that requires an f2fs-enabled kernel. I'm using CM11, so I'd need to modify the CM11 kernel. It's all open source, so anyone with development skills and free time could do that work.

I have a full-time job already and a life, so the task will take a back seat to those priorities. Cheers and good luck
25th August 2014, 10:34 PM |#11  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Okay to install?
Is this version of TWRP the best version to install for the HD+?

Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ovation twrp cm11

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)