Getting old Nook HD+ updated and stable?

Search This thread

ben7337

Jul 18, 2010
So I dug my old Nook HD+ out of storage and got it charged and booting just fine. It's running some old nightly build of CM13, but it insanely laggy and hard to use, like 10+ seconds just to open settings slow. As such, I want to flash a more recent rom, probably a Nougat based one. However I remember there were some oddities to this device, but I can't recall for sure what they were, and new guides seem to be for setting up from stock. So I just want to make sure I don't brick my device. Can anyone provide some guidance on what to do? Below is the situation

Nook HD+ running buggy CM13, refuses to boot into recovery, tried using home or volume up key and power button to no avail. I don't remember if I just used SD bootable recoveries before or not, I don't think I did, but at one point I think that was the only option.

I'm guessing I need to wipe my SD card and make it a bootable recovery. Can I just flash a recovery to EMMC from there and then flash a new rom? Is it possible my device needed some other steps to allow custom recovery on the emmc or something?

Also why do some guides say to hold the home button "n" key and power to boot into recovery and some say volume up and power? Is there not a universal standard way to boot into recovery for this device?

Sorry if I sound like a total noob, but I haven't done any custom romming or rooting in forever and don't even know if this device ever got an unlocked bootloader or if we just have some weird workaround for it to make things work, but I'd like to find a quick and easy way to get it working after work today if possible. Thanks for all your time and help and any recommendations.