Restoring with TWRP 3.0.1-0

Search This thread

_Bruce

Jan 10, 2018
Hi
I just backed up my daughter's stock Nook HD using Amaces' TWRP 3.0.1-0 zip with and onto the external SD card. That's the end of the good news.

Now the bad news:
The act of booting and backing up to TWRP on the external SD made the stock system unbootable. It auto-cycled through 8 reboots and then installed the factory default system. She'll be most unhappy when she finds out her minecraft worlds are gone.

That wouldn't be so bad except that the backup, which I can see on the external SD card, doesn't appear as package to restore, when booting from the same TWRP system used to create the backup.

So far TWRP backup/restore seems like a highly destructive "feature."
Any suggestions on what to do next?

_Bruce

Jan 10, 2018
Well, after a bunch of blind trial and error -- that seems to be the way of my experience here -- I was able to install TWRP 3.2.1-0 onto the Nook HD and recover from that. In the meantime, I had dissected the .tar files and pulled what I though were the relevant files, just in case.

I couldn't save my daughter's minecraft worlds, which was the point of the backup to begin with. It seems they were stored on the /storage partition, which was not backed up by the destructive TWRP backup routine.

To the guys who let that routine loose on the world, a sarcastic "Thanks" is in order. You couldn't have made my daughter any less happy.

To anyone else reading this, I would strongly encourage you to avoid running the TWRP backup routine on stock nooks.