FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

CM 14.1 for Nook Tablet (acclaim) - 16GB model only - UNOFFICIAL

879 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,122

By chrmhoffmann, Inactive Recognized Developer on 13th November 2016, 01:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android N (Nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 * Submitting bug reports on nightly builds is the leading 
 * cause of male impotence.
 */
CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed.

This rom is for the Nook Tablet 1GB/16GB versions. The device code name is "acclaim".

Prerequisites:
A recovery. To install a recovery when coming from a stock device, you need to prepare a special SD card. Installation instructions can be found here on xda.

Installation:
Android N requires more space on the system partition. To load the Google Apps, it is necessary to repartition the device.
To repartition, flash the recovery partition that can be found here with fastboot:
https://basketbuild.com/filedl/devs?...UNOFFICIAL.img

Boot into this recovery and select "Advanced->Repartion Nook Tablet for Android N".
The screen turns black for a minute or so and the repartitioning is happening.
Then select "Advanced->Reboot recovery" to reboot into recovery again.

NOTE: Repartioning will delete all data. BACKUP! It also deletes the legacy internal EMMC partition (which was 1GB big) in case this was not yet done.
NOTE2: If repartitioning fails, please adb into the device and post /tmp/repartition.log to the forum here.

Then you can flash the CM 14.1 images and gapps as usual (e.g. with adb sideload).

Once a version is installed (and all bugs fixed), you will be able to use CM Updater
Settings->About tablet->CyanogenMod updates->Refresh

Building:
The CM wiki explains that here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Build_for_acclaim

Returning to stock BN firmware:
If you have installed above rom and the recovery and you really hate it and want to go back to stock, you first have to repartition to come back to the original repartition layout. This is currently not documented.
You may wish to try to flash the original acclaim_update.zip from BN. You have to unzip that file and edit META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script. Drop the first two lines here:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "blaze" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "blaze");

Zip the package again. Then go to recovery, flash the zip, wipe, and reboot.

Support:
For any issues encountered, please post into this forum, but add steps to reproduce and dmesg, logcat and audit.log information. If you don't know what this is or how to get them, try to find that out first before posting here.

hashcode, ntemis, kuzma30, fattire, mik_os, and many others that contribute to cyanogenmod and especially this version.
kuzma30 - great kernel job
hashcode - we have reused lots of your work and effort for the various omap devices (esp kindle fire). It is thanks to you mainly that we are now official CM device. Also many thanks for the L bringup help.
mik_os - great touchscreen firmware flasher and other efforts
fattire - for helping us everywhere he can
ntemis - thanks for giving so much energy to this - esp for 4.4 and L I have copied lots of things from you
CM community (stargo, david marble, etc.) - thanks for replying to all my questions!

DISCLAIMER:
- update the recovery (see above) if you come from older versions - otherwise you'll see funny error messages when installing zip
- It is possible that you need to wipe your device. I did not do that, but...
- You must flash your own gapps. It can be found somewhere....

Known issues:
- the touchscreen firmware flasher doesn't work on N. Use CM11 to flash it first.
- The system is altogether not really the fastest thing on earth

Get it soon from:
http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=acclaim

Get an UNOFFICIAL build now from here:
https://basketbuild.com/filedl/devs?...UNOFFICIAL.zip
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chrmhoffmann For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrmhoffmann Ad-Free

13th November 2016, 01:31 PM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer

More
8GB model: I do not have such a device and can thus not test anything. The re-partitioning should also work, as I have created the last partition userdata with the "everything that's left in terms of size".

If you feel adventurous, please let me know if the 8GB model works as well, but it's currently not supported.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrmhoffmann For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrmhoffmann Ad-Free
14th November 2016, 06:20 AM |#3  
Flag Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks Meter: 388

Donate to Me
More
Oh my god, dude, you're still going
14th November 2016, 10:32 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
It's the tablet that won't die!
15th November 2016, 01:36 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 986

More
I flashed the recovery recovery-repartition-acclaim-cm14.1-UNOFFICIAL.img and I don't get any menu under advanced.
I ran repartition.sh in an adb shell under recovery. The partitions resized nicely.
I reflashed twrp 3.02 and failed to recover my backup. Data and cache were formatted as ext4. I fixed that in twrp and recovered my backup. I then failed to flash a rom. It errored immediately. I think the system was the wrong size. Testing with smaller (but increasing) system partition sizes shows that your defaults are correct. System is exactly 2G. I have no idea why I had troubles. I probably slipped a bit in my non-eec ram.
Very good work. I don't know why the repartition.sh script isn't run from the recovery. That is built from a slightly different device tree. I can post repartiton.log if you need it. It looked fine.
This is actually a useable tablet with this rom. Encore and, I assume the 8gb acclaim, just haven't worked well since cm-11 since they only have 512M ram. You have done a good job keeping this alive.
16th November 2016, 08:01 PM |#6  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarble

I flashed the recovery recovery-repartition-acclaim-cm14.1-UNOFFICIAL.img and I don't get any menu under advanced.
I ran repartition.sh in an adb shell under recovery. The partitions resized nicely.
I reflashed twrp 3.02 and failed to recover my backup. Data and cache were formatted as ext4. I fixed that in twrp and recovered my backup. I then failed to flash a rom. It errored immediately. I think the system was the wrong size. Testing with smaller (but increasing) system partition sizes shows that your defaults are correct. System is exactly 2G. I have no idea why I had troubles. I probably slipped a bit in my non-eec ram.
Very good work. I don't know why the repartition.sh script isn't run from the recovery. That is built from a slightly different device tree. I can post repartiton.log if you need it. It looked fine.
This is actually a useable tablet with this rom. Encore and, I assume the 8gb acclaim, just haven't worked well since cm-11 since they only have 512M ram. You have done a good job keeping this alive.

I re-downloaded and flashed the recovery from here: https://basketbuild.com/filedl/devs?...UNOFFICIAL.img

and I can see when I enter the Advanced menu, a new menu entry: Repartition Nook Tablet for Android N.

Strange.

Chris
19th November 2016, 03:22 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 173

More
Unhappy Building CM14?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmhoffmann

Building:
The CM wiki explains that here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Build_for_acclaim

CM14 on this device!? Awesome!

Is there a special local manifest that I need to build this?

It has been a while, but for CM13, I did this:
rm -f $CROOT/.repo/local_manifest.xml
echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
<project name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_bn" path="vendor/bn" remote="github" revision="cm-13.0" />
</manifest>' > $CROOT/.repo/local_manifest.xml

repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-13.0
repo sync -j1

Can I just change cm-13.0 to cm-14.1?

Also, is this a resource pig like building CM14 for the NookHD+? I had to give my virtual machine 12GB RAM and 4 CPUs because of the new toolchain, notably Jack.

And thanks for the great work!!

== EDIT ==

I forked my CM13 script, made the changes above, and got a build! cm-14.1-20161119-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim.zip

Unfortunately, it wouldn't flash and gave an ERROR 7 error code.

I installed and flashed with TWRP 3.0.1, and was able to successfully re-flash CM13. I'll try building and installing CM14 again in a week or so.

Question, do I have to re-partition if I don't intend to install Gapps?
19th November 2016, 07:25 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I flashed "recovery-repartition-acclaim-cm14.1-UNOFFICIAL.img" and then entered into it. After I did "Advanced->Reboot recovery". And when I had reboot into the recovery I got "No command" on the black screen. Help me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20161119_221057.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	3941900  
20th November 2016, 01:36 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 303

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBreems

I flashed "recovery-repartition-acclaim-cm14.1-UNOFFICIAL.img" and then entered into it. After I did "Advanced->Reboot recovery". And when I had reboot into the recovery I got "No command" on the black screen. Help me.

I did the repartitioning on a 16GB also, and got the same result. rebooting into recovery and get the "no command"prompt only.

I rebooted to cyanoboot, started fastboot, and flashed a TWRP recovery
using the command "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-acclaim.img" (no quotes)

partitons didn't appear formatted so I formatted /data f2fs , /cache ext4 and /system /ext4

haven't tried installing the rom yet, will do in a minute
partitions look like this after formatting
busybox df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 333.9M 20.0K 333.9M 0% /dev
tmpfs 333.9M 28.0K 333.9M 0% /tmp
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/bootdata 47.2M 4.5K 47.2M 0% /bootdata
/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 1007.9M 17.3M 990.6M 2% /cache
/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 2.0G 35.0M 1.9G 2% /system
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 11.1G 652.0M 10.4G 6% /data
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 11.1G 652.0M 10.4G 6% /emmc

I'll try an 8GB tomorrow

!!! RENAME THE ATTACHED ZIP FILE TO IMG - its not a ZIP !!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip twrp-3.0.2-0-acclaim.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.63 MB, 270 views)
20th November 2016, 02:08 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeataol

I did the repartitioning on a 16GB also, and got the same result. rebooting into recovery and get the "no command"prompt only.

I rebooted to cyanoboot, started fastboot, and flashed a TWRP recovery
using the command "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-acclaim.img" (no quotes)

partitons didn't appear formatted so I formatted /data f2fs , /cache ext4 and /system /ext4

haven't tried installing the rom yet, will do in a minute
partitions look like this after formatting

You beat me to it. I flashed TWRP changed the partition format for /cache /data and /system to f2fs. I then changed the partition format for /cache /data and /system to ext4. I then flashed the ROM from within TWRP. I was able to boot successfully after that.
20th November 2016, 10:32 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have flashed "cm-13.0-20161113-NIGHTLY-acclaim-recovery.img" and then by the new recovery I have flashed "cm-14.1-20161119-NIGHTLY-acclaim.zip". Profit!

All files are located here https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=acclaim
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)