[NST/NSTG][Mod] AndroNook Settings [Mar. 30]

Search This thread
N

NOOK!E

Hello, nookies!

Welcome to the official development project page for my modded Settings.apk files, or AndroNook Settings.

As we all know, the stock Settings.apk on the Nook Simple Touch is rather primitive, to say the least. With these four unique modded variants, I aim to make the Nook's Settings.apk more Android-like by incorporating more regular Android options (hence, AndroNook). Using these mods, you will have much more convenient full control over your Nook's settings.

All four of these .apks will work on both the Nook Simple Touch and the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight using B&N's 1.2.1 software. Let's take a look at the changes, shall we?

Changes & Features

andronook-settings-thirteenthirtysevenrom-x.x.zip

This Settings.apk is made to be used alongside @yattaro's and my 1337 ROM.

• "Legal" is removed from [Settings > Device Info], because who needs that?
  • [Settings > Device Info > About Your NOOK®] is renamed to "About Your Nook".
  • In [Settings > Device Info > About Your Nook], the listings "Owner" = [your name], "Account" = [your email] and "Software version" = [your B&N software version] are replaced with "Android version" = "2.1 Eclair", "ROM name" = "1337 ROM", and "Developed by" = "yattaro & NOOKIE". The extra options which appear if you hold the top right hard button and tap the "About Your Nook" header are also removed.
  • "Change Lock PIN" is added to [Settings > Screen] for easy lockscreen PIN changing.
  • "Development" is added to the main Settings screen.
  • In [Settings > Development], the listings "Android launcher" and "Widget Test" are replaced with "Accounts and sync settings" (which only works if /system/app/DeviceManager.apk is deleted) and "Proxy settings".
  • [Settings > Development > Manage applications] is moved to the main Settings screen and renamed to "Applications".
  • "Battery use", a summary of the battery use since last unplugged, is added to the main Settings screen and renamed to "Battery".

andronook-settings-tweakedmoddedrom-x.x.zip

This Settings.apk is made to be used alongside @pinguy1982's Tweaked Modded ROM. All changes are the same as above, except:

• In [Settings > Device Info > About Your Nook], "ROM name" = "1337 ROM" and "Developed by" = "yattaro and NOOKIE" are replaced with "ROM name" = "Tweaked Modded ROM" and "Developed by" = "pinguy1982".

andronook-settings-stockromrooted-x.x.zip

This Settings.apk is made to be used when no ROM is installed and you've just rooted your Nook. All changes are the same as nook-settings-thirteenthirtysevenrom-x.x.zip, except:

• In [Settings > Device Info > About Your Nook], "ROM name" = "1337 ROM" and "Developed by" = "yattaro and NOOKIE" are replaced with "ROM name" = "B&N OS 1.2.1" and "Developed by" = "Barnes and Noble".

andronook-settings-lockpin-unrooted.zip

This Settings.apk is meant to be used when your device has not been rooted or "illegally" modified in any way. It will simply allow you to use a lockscreen PIN on an unrooted device. Beware, though - you cannot remove the lock unless you are rooted.

• "Choose Lock PIN" is added to [Settings > Screen] for easy lockscreen PIN changing.
Installation

If you're rooted

1. On your PC, download the .zip file in the second post which you'd like to use.
2. Install CWM recovery on your Nook by following the instructions at this thread.
3. Copy the Settings .zip you downloaded to the root (main folder) of your SD card.
4. Insert your SD card back into your Nook, and boot into CWM by rebooting and holding the two bottom hard buttons and the "Read Forever" screen.
5. Flash the .zip you put onto the root of the SD card.
6. Click "reboot system now"

If you're not rooted

1. On your PC, download the .zip file in the second post which you'd like to use.
2. Follow the instructions at this thread for booting into CWM from your SD card. However, after you write the .img file to your SD card, copy the Settings .zip file you downloaded onto the root (main folder) of the SD card. Then, continue with the instructions for booting into CWM.
3. Flash the .zip you put onto the root of the SD card.
4. Click "reboot to recovery".

XDA:DevDB Information
AndroNook Settings, Device Specific App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
ИΘΘK¡€

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.1
Stable Release Date: 2015-03-30

Created 2015-03-30
Last Updated 2015-04-01

Last edited:
N

NOOK!E

Changelog

• Alpha - unreleased (Mar. 28)
  • 1.0 Beta - initial, see changes in the first post (Mar. 29)
  • 1.1 Stable - current, fixed captialization issues in [Settings > Device Info > About Your Nook] (Mar. 30)

NOTE - All downloads are CWM-flashable .zip files, so if you'd like to get at the actual .apk file, download the .zip, decompress it and navigate to .\system\app. It'll be there named "Settings.apk".

NOTE 2 - I don't have Social, Shop or Search installed on my Nook anymore, which is why they don't appear in the screenshots below. If you have those apps installed, they will appear in your Settings.

NOTE 3 - Although you see it in the screenshots, this mod does not apply my SBM Theme.

Attachments

• 3-29-15_23.11.27_2.png
    3-29-15_23.11.27_2.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 2,606
  • 3-29-15_23.11.54.png
    3-29-15_23.11.54.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 2,570
  • 3-29-15_23.13.9.png
    3-29-15_23.13.9.png
    32 KB · Views: 2,537
  • 3-29-15_23.19.55.png
    3-29-15_23.19.55.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,290
  • 000.png
    000.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,304
  • andronook-settings-lockpin-unrooted.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • andronook-settings-stockromrooted-1.1.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 450
  • andronook-settings-thirteenthirtysevenrom-1.1.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 213
  • andronook-settings-tweakedmoddedrom-1.1.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 228
Last edited:

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
@ИΘΘK¡€

thanks for the efforts to raise the experience of our nooks.
I just saw Yataro has brought out the subsequent version 1.3(with multitouch being the highlight) As posted there, i have multitouch support already, possibly because i had not cleared my data(or bcos i had replaced the kernel from your post before already) before flashing 1337 rom. So i think i'll give this update a miss(unless you recommend i go ahead and update it).

However i came across your AndroSettings effort from the ROM's changelog, and here i am ...

I have downloaded your AndroSettings zip ... to flash ... (my current ROM is being backed up as i write this post).

PS: i am getting a lot of FC's (for almost all the apps i have installed on my device) could it be becos i hadn't cleared my data before flashing the 1337 ROM ? If not your help is most appreciated.

---------- Post added at 06:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

BUG ?
Accounts & Sync Settings is crashing my device ... rebooting it.

Last edited:
N

NOOK!E

i am getting a lot of FC's (for almost all the apps i have installed on my device) could it be becos i hadn't cleared my data before flashing the 1337 ROM ? If not your help is most appreciated.

Yes, it is definitely because you didn't wipe before flashing. :p

aiamuzz said:
BUG ?
Accounts & Sync Settings is crashing my device ... rebooting it.

If you read carefully through the OP, you'll see the quote:

NOOKIE said:
[...] Accounts and sync settings (which only works if /system/app/DeviceManager.apk is deleted).

Last edited:

Igjarjuk

Dec 14, 2012
Great app! :)

Though I'm surprised I seem to be missing the old "Allow installation of unsigned apps" here.

Is that just not possible on the Nook, or is everybody using another simple option I am missing?
I kinda like not having any app stores ;)

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I'm getting a reboot when trying to access Development>Accounts and Sync settings.

I did delete DeviceManager.apk before installing.

Stock 1.21 ROM, rooted.

N

NOOK!E

I'm getting a reboot when trying to access Development>Accounts and Sync settings.

I did delete DeviceManager.apk before installing.

Stock 1.21 ROM, rooted.

Can you give me a full list of the apps in your /system/app directory? There may be another conflicting app I do not remember.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Can you give me a full list of the apps in your /system/app directory? There may be another conflicting app I do not remember.

Whew....here goes...

Accessories
AccountsAndSyncSettings
AFfileDownloadService
AirRuntime
ApplicationProvider
AudioCTRL
BnAuthenticationService
BnCloudRequestSvc
Browser (inac.)
Calculator (inac.)
Calendar (inac.)
CalendarProvider (inac.)
CertInstaller
CloudService
ContactsProvider
CryptoServer
DemoMode (inac.)
DeviceRegistrator
DownloadAdmin
DownloadProvider
DrmProvider
FastMode2
Gallery (inac.)
GenieWidget
GlobalSearch
Gmail (inac.)
GmailProvider (inac.)
GoogleApps
GoogleBackupTransport
GoogleCheckin
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter
GooglePartnerSetup
GoogleSettingsProvider
GoogleSubscribedFeedsProvider
gtalkservice
Home
HTMLViewer
LatinIME
Launcher
Library
MarketUpdater
MediaProvider
Music (inac.)
NookCommunity (inac.)
NookHWTest
Oobe
Packageinstaller
Phone (inac.)
PicoTts
QuickStartActivity
ReaderRMSDK
ServiceOne
Settings
SettingsProvider
SetupWizard
Shop
Social (inac.)
SuperUser
SysChecksum
Talk
TalkProvider
TelephonyProvider (inac.)
ThumbnailService
TtsService
UsbMode
UserDictionaryProvider
Vending
WaveformDownloader

Those listed as (inac.) have been deactivated by changing .apk to .OLD

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Have you found solution? I get reboot there too.
No. Removing DeviceManager.apk did not help and it broke B&N functionality. I went back to the stock settings app.

For me the mod was more gee-wiz than actually useful. The USB debugging mode seemed to have no effect and most other stuff I would never look at.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
OK, thanks! I still use it since it has functionality of setting proxy and changing pin for device lock.
What do you mean by 'it broke B&N functionality'? Did your shop stop working?
I don't use "Shop" but I do sometimes get "free Friday" books. The B&N home screen which I have on long-press "N" would not update. I just got a continuous spinner.