FORUMS

[Q] [R&D] NST future CM11 &TWRP

299 posts
Thanks Meter: 639

By kfazz, Senior Member on 7th April 2015, 07:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anyone with UART or USB access to u-boot willing to help with a dev project?
Devs only ATM, too many serious bugs
And there is the possibility of screen damage
If it hardlocks with papyrus ic on
test build #1 pulled due to poweroff/screen burnin bug

Test build #1: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6&postcount=14

Test build #2: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=74
Test build #3: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=136
Kernel Tree: https://github.com/kfazz/android_ker...e/nook_nst_3.0
zoom2 device tree: https://github.com/kfazz/android_device_bn_zoom2
vendor tree: https://github.com/kfazz/propietary_vendor_bn.git
Local manifest:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_build" />
  <remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_base" />
  <remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_native" />
  <remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery" />

<project path="frameworks/base" name="kfazz/android_frameworks_base" revision="nook"/>
  <project path="frameworks/native" name="kfazz/android_frameworks_native"  revision="nook"/>
  <project path="bootable/recovery" name="TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project" revision="android-5.1"/>

<project path="build" name="kfazz/android_build" revision="nook"/>
  <project path="device/bn/zoom2" name="kfazz/android_device_bn_zoom2" revision="master"/>
  <project path="kernel/bn/zoom2" name="kfazz/android_kernel_bn_zoom2" revision="nook_nst_3.0"/>
  <project path="vendor/bn" name="kfazz/propietary_vendor_bn" revision="master"/>
</manifest>
Done:
Kernel 3.0.8 boots
Zoom2 devicetree
Cm11 boots
Twrp boots and installs ROM
Wip:
Ghosting
Ram usage
Suspend

To do:
WiFi sleep of death,
USB(works, but kinda slow) fixed adb gets ~4mb sec mtp gets ~2.8
Integrate epdcontroller in framework (partially done)
Pngcrush grayscale all images done, by adding back custom squisher to android/build
Fastmode,
multitouch, done, using 1.3.1 zforce driver + changes based on http://lwn.net/Articles/572311/
USB host not sure what the limit is but a 100mA usb mouse works without a powered hub, and a 200mA usb stick doesn't

Themeing
Gapps don't work (but too much lowram lag to be practical)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150327_160538.jpg
Views:	8788
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	3250482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150328_171211.jpg
Views:	8544
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	3250483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150331_184250:nopm:.jpg
Views:	8654
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	3250485  
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to kfazz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kfazz Ad-Free
NOOK!E
7th April 2015, 08:00 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfazz

Anyone with UART or USB access to u-boot willing to help with a dev project?
Devs only ATM, too many serious bugs
And there is the possibility of screen damage
If it hardlocks with papyrus ic on

Done:
Kernel 3.0.8 boots
Zoom2 devicetree
Cm11 boots
Twrp boots and installs ROM
Wip:
Ghosting
Ram usage
Suspend

To do:
WiFi sleep of death, USB, fastmode
Integrate epdcontroller in framework
Pngcrush grayscale all images
Fastmode, multitouch, USB host, etc
Themeing
Gapps don't work

Woah, this looks sick! I'd be glad to help you in any way I can. I've got a Nook Touch Glow running a customized version of the 1337 ROM, a modded framework-res.apk, and a modded Settings.apk (see my sig for full specifications). Let me know how I can assist!

By the way, I'm inviting you to my Nook Touch Devs group now, so we can talk in there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
8th April 2015, 03:09 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ИΘΘK¡€

Woah, this looks sick! I'd be glad to help you in any way I can. I've got a Nook Touch Glow running a customized version of the 1337 ROM, a modded framework-res.apk, and a modded Settings.apk (see my sig for full specifications). Let me know how I can assist!

By the way, I'm inviting you to my Nook Touch Devs group now, so we can talk in there.

if you'd be willing to try compiling it, javifo has a u-boot tree that looks like it supports ttyUSB.
https://github.com/javifo/NST/tree/master/u-boot
I'm not sure if my kernel supports usb because my usb port is broken, but if you can get u-boot access over usb
i'll try to build a kernel and bootscript that will be debuggable over usb.
My current setup is completely self contained on the sdcard and doesn't touch stock partitions except reading device specific data from /rom
The Following User Says Thank You to kfazz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kfazz Ad-Free
NOOK!E
8th April 2015, 01:48 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfazz

if you'd be willing to try compiling it, javifo has a u-boot tree that looks like it supports ttyUSB.
https://github.com/javifo/NST/tree/master/u-boot
I'm not sure if my kernel supports usb because my usb port is broken, but if you can get u-boot access over usb
i'll try to build a kernel and bootscript that will be debuggable over usb.
My current setup is completely self contained on the sdcard and doesn't touch stock partitions except reading device specific data from /rom

I'll give it a go on the weekend when I have some free time.
9th April 2015, 01:17 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
rendering from userspace
omap3pfb drawing modes:
pageflip mode: (non deferred)
turned on by writing a 1 to
/sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/pgflip_refresh

apps that are unaware of bn's eink setup work fine.
this is how stock recovery uses the display, and also bootanimation on stock rom (i think).
Downside: ghosting, no control over waveform used to draw ( that i know of )
'command' mode.
display update is controlled by various private ioctl commands to the /dev/graphics/fb0 file.
ioctl -> * -> EpdService function -> EpdController function
OMAP3EPFB_IO_SET_REGION <- * <- configureRegion <- setRegion
OMAP3EPFB_IO_GET_REGION -> * -> UNUSED
OMAP3EPFB_IO_RESET_REGION <- * <- resetRegion <- resetRegion
OMAP3EPFB_IO_FILL_REGION < * <- fillRegion <- fillRegion
* is jni function calls in libandroidruntime.so
EpdController.epdRefresh writes to /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/epd_refresh
1 = Gray Clear
0 = update
epdDisable writes to /sys/class/graphics/fb0/epd_disable
value is timeout period in milliseconds
by themselves these writes and ioctls do nothing. the magic is in libui.so
stock rom calls OMAP3EPFB_IO_REQ_AREA_UPDATE in FramebufferNativeWindow::queueBuffer()
to update the display. No idea what logic the is used to decide when or whether to update.

Deferred Rendering:
this is turned off in kernel config for stock rom, and theres a typo in one of the ifdefed clauses which
leads me to believe this code path was abandoned early in development of the driver
i got it to work, but it doesn't seem to have many advantages over regular pageflip mode, and it's slow.
more info on deferred io: http://elinux.org/images/2/25/E_paper_Displays.pdf

anyone see any errors or have any insights as to how to implement this on Kitkat's graphics stack?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kfazz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kfazz Ad-Free
9th April 2015, 06:09 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Oh Wow !!!
is that really a cm11(KITKAT) lock screen on a NST G ???
thanks for trying @kfazz following this thread, look forward to what will materialize out of this GREAT effort. kitkat is known to support low ram devices, hopefully it will accommodate our Nook Simple Touch activity which is only static read centric operations.
thanks for attempting
13th April 2015, 01:45 PM |#7  
Flag Reading
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Any chance of a video? I'm scared that this is just a late April fool's joke! Been waiting for this for so long!
15th April 2015, 02:53 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 109

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolius

Any chance of a video? I'm scared that this is just a late April fool's joke! Been waiting for this for so long!

I to can't believe it. but this is cool. I hope it will be usefull since I thought the cm7 would have the highest version of cyanogenmod to work well on our devices.
15th April 2015, 03:54 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfd1

I to can't believe it. but this is cool. I hope it will be usefull since I thought the cm7 would have the highest version of cyanogenmod to work well on our devices.

I mean, the source to compile is right there, and he last updated it about an hour ago... Id compile a version to test for myself, but my server that I've used in the past for compiling android has yet to be set up again(new install :P)

Im honestly amazing that kfazz got it working, major props to him and hopefully this would allow more funtionality to come out of my old nook(s)

Edit: Oh, and this would also open up a wider range of usb devices to plug into the nook, as well as better compatibility for any new apps

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Also, to kfazz, Ive got an extra nook that doesnt matter if the screen gets damages(a new one is fairly cheap anyways), Id love to help you test out this project. I can also get access to the uart if needed, ill just have to pop open the case and solder on a few points(right? I last read about the access to the uart on the nook many months/year ago and I may be mistaken)
The Following User Says Thank You to dombeef For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dombeef Ad-Free
15th April 2015, 04:52 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Yes, yes, and yes. UART access isn't strictly necessary, but there are a few issues I want to resolve before release. Mainly the circle animation android draws on loading screens, and auto partitioning sdcard. PS delete system/core/ uncrypt/android.mk and it should build. (Twrp conflict)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kfazz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kfazz Ad-Free
15th April 2015, 05:14 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Wow, unbelievable we have WIP and moreover kitkat of all, Can't wait to try it out.
switching off all possible animation is best don't want to lose out on valuable battery time.
thanks Guys.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nook cm11 twrp dev

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)