Top buttons won't change page

Search This thread

Joydeck

Sep 28, 2012
My Nook Simple Touch was rooted years ago, using NookManager. Recently, I find neither the Top Left nor Top Right side-button will change pages in the standard Reader, Cool Reader or any other application, including the Launcher. The two bottom side-buttons always work fine.

The top side-button hardware is fine because I can use Nook Touch Mod Manager to alter the behaviour of either top side-button. However, if the two top side-buttons are set to "Default" or "Tap Left (Previous Page)" or "Tap Right (Next Page)", neither button will change the page in any application. Incidentally, changing the Reader option in Nook Settings or powering-off the Nook makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

N

NOOK!E

@Joydeck,

If you don't already have it, download and install @Renate NST's UsbMode.apk app from here (the file is UsbMode-2.1.apk). Then, follow the instructions below.

1. Launch the app "USB Mode Utility" from your app drawer.
2. Click the top left button on your Nook, and note what text appears (if any) in the Symbol: section.
3. Do the same process as step 2 with the top right button on your Nook.
4. Tell me what appears in the Symbol: region for both buttons.

This should get you going in the right direction.

Joydeck

Sep 28, 2012
1. Launch the app "USB Mode Utility" from your app drawer.
2. Click the top left button on your Nook, and note what text appears (if any) in the Symbol: section.
3. Do the same process as step 2 with the top right button on your Nook.
4. Tell me what appears in the Symbol: region for both buttons.

Thank you for helping.

After launching the USB Mode Utility app, pressing the either the Top Left or Top Right side-button alters nothing on the USB Mode Utility screen, except that an underline character on the far right of the Scan code field changes briefly to a solid triangle, registering each key-press. Symbol, among other fields, is blank.

Incidentally, pressing the Bottom Left side-button shows Symbol: PAGE_DOWN (Scan code: 139 and Key code: 93). Pressing the Bottom Right shows Symbol: SWITCH_CHARSET (Scan code: 158 and Key code: 95). Pressing the either the Top Left or Top Right side-button alters nothing.

Last edited:

Joydeck

Sep 28, 2012
My Nook Simple Touch was rooted years ago, using NookManager. Recently, I find neither the Top Left nor Top Right side-button will change pages in the standard Reader, Cool Reader or any other application, including the Launcher. The two bottom side-buttons always work fine.

The top side-button hardware is fine because I can use Nook Touch Mod Manager to alter the behaviour of either top side-button. However, if the two top side-buttons are set to "Default" or "Tap Left (Previous Page)" or "Tap Right (Next Page)", neither button will change the page in any application. Incidentally, changing the Reader option in Nook Settings or powering-off the Nook makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

I now believe the problem occurs when you alter the long press setting for the top buttons in Nook Touch Mod Manager. If these are left at default, all seems to work fine.