FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

CWM USB Audio Enabler

390 posts
Thanks Meter: 533

By pinguy1982, Senior Member on 20th June 2015, 05:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Flash the zip in CWM to enable USB Audio.

It works its just a bit tricky to get enabled. You may have to reboot the device to get it working.
Also if you have under 50% battery life the USB sound dongle will cut out. So make sure you have plenty of battery life.

MX Player works better playing videos then QQPlayer, but the sound with MKV files cuts out. On the QQPlayer the sound works fine.

The version of MX Player I tested was 1.7.40 for Froyo/Eclair.

Mediaserver doesn't work on the NST so any MP3s you add won't show up in Music players. To get around this use ES File Explorer built in music player to play local MP3s.

Attached Files
File Type: apk BubbleUPnP.apk - [Click for QR Code] (4.86 MB, 114 views)
File Type: apk QQPlayer.apk - [Click for QR Code] (6.97 MB, 156 views)
File Type: apk TuneIn Radio v7.4.apk - [Click for QR Code] (8.42 MB, 100 views)
File Type: zip USB-Audio+FastMode+Host-CWM.v2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.55 MB, 526 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinguy1982 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pinguy1982 Ad-Free

NOOK!E
20th June 2015, 07:42 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguy1982

Flash the zip in CWM to enable USB Audio.

It works its just a bit tricky to get enabled. You may have to reboot the device a few times to get it working. Even when it is working I found that the sound in MX Player cuts out for a sec every 10 seconds.

What's going on under the hood here?

I'd like to get USB audio working on my system without using someone else's kernel, so if you could tell me what to change in mine, I'd thank you.

What other files, apps and such are necessary (so that I can add them by hand instead of flashing)?
20th June 2015, 10:10 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ИΘΘK¡€

What's going on under the hood here?

I'd like to get USB audio working on my system without using someone else's kernel, so if you could tell me what to change in mine, I'd thank you.

What other files, apps and such are necessary (so that I can add them by hand instead of flashing)?

Just unzip the package and have a look. The only thing that may not be obvious is you need to remove /system/lib/hw/alsa.zoom2.so

Apart from that you can see the files and apps that get added just by looking inside the zip.

The main files needed are:
  • /system/lib/hw/alsa.default.so
  • /system/etc/asound.conf
  • /system/app/UsbMode.apk this is the app that enables host mode. Needs SU to be able to run.
  • Plus the kernel.
NOOK!E
20th June 2015, 10:16 PM |#4  

More
Quote:

Just unzip the package and have a look. The only thing that may not be obvious is you need to remove /system/lib/hw/alsa.zoom2.so

Apart from that you can see the files and apps that get added just by looking inside the zip.

Yes, thanks, I did that already.

I guess what I'm really asking is this: what do I need to add to my uImage and/or uRamdisk to allow USB audio? I'd prefer to just modify my kernel instead of overwrite it with a whole different one.
20th June 2015, 10:20 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes, thanks, I did that already.

I guess what I'm really asking is this: what do I need to add to my uImage and/or uRamdisk to allow USB audio? I'd prefer to just modify my kernel instead of overwrite it with a whole different one.

Not sure where to get the audio sources for the kernel from. I just grabbed this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=164
It has everything I need.
  • FastScreen
  • MultiTouch
  • UsbHost
  • UsbToCom
  • UsbSound
NOOK!E
20th June 2015, 10:32 PM |#6  

More
@pinguy1982, here's the kernel I'm using: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nook...7/post54803848

The specific uRamdisk I have I also modded to mount /boot as read-write during the boot sequence, in case that matters.

The ideal thing for me to do would just be to add UsbSound to that kernel, if I can, and then release it for the Nook Touch Glow. I don't think I've seen an NTG UsbSound kernel yet, so that should be useful.

@Renate NST, can you help?
20th June 2015, 10:43 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Just tested it with the your uRamdisk. It works fine. Haven't tested this with the Nook Touch Glow yet. So unsure if it works with it or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinguy1982 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pinguy1982 Ad-Free
20th June 2015, 11:01 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
@ИΘΘK¡€ Here you go: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=175
All the info is posted there.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinguy1982 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pinguy1982 Ad-Free
22nd June 2015, 03:39 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Some apps didn't work with the sound so I have updated the USB-Sound package with a new sound engine.
NOOK!E
22nd June 2015, 03:58 PM |#10  

More
Quote:

Some apps didn't work with the sound so I have updated the USB-Sound package with a new sound engine.

Would you give me a quick run-down of the hardware required for USB sound and how to use it?
22nd June 2015, 04:15 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Would you give me a quick run-down of the hardware required for USB sound and how to use it?

Sure.

Hardware you need:
Thats it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)