FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to Root and set up a new Nook Glowlight 3

64 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By jptiger, Member on 10th June 2018, 07:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I got tired of having to jump between a bunch of threads when setting up my Glowlight 3. So I'm consolidating directions into one post in the hopes that it'll save others time and trouble. Credit for instructions should go to the people who actually wrote them: arnchav of mobileread; RyogoNA, Silent eInk, cazar and Renate NST here on xda; and everyone who figured out the root exploit, sideloading, the devs behind Relaunch, RelaunchX and F-Droid. Material lifted from their original posts (linked at the bottom).

Now, this is going to walk you through doing a few things:
A) Setting up a progam called ADB on your computer so that it can talk to your NG3
B) Adding a "Launcher" app to your nook so that you can access other apps you sideload later
C) Root theNook so that you can do more stuff with the settings, including the ability to...
D) Fix a bug that, after installing a launcher, causes the NG3 to get stuck on the loading screen after rebooting

Before you start, you need to set up ADB on your computer. Follow the instructions linked here. The rest of this post will assume you're using Windows, but won't be hugely different from other OSs.

Here we go:

To set up ADB on your nook:

1. On your Nook, go to Settings>About. You should see the serial number, app version, etc. At the top of that page, there is a nook icon. Tap that icon rapidly until the developer menu opens.
2. Tap "Android Development Settings" and check the box for "USB debugging".
3. At the Developer options screen you are on (where you checked the box), hit the back arrow at the top-left of the screen to go back. But do not exit the developer menu.
4. On your computer, open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where you put adb (in my case I typed in "cd adb/platform-tools")
5. Plug the USB in to the nook. When the nook prompts you to turn on USB mode, do so. At the adb command prompt, type adb devices. ADB should recognize the nook, but say that it is unauthorized.
6. From windows, eject the nook to disconnect nook's file sharing. Once the nook's USB file sharing screen goes away, you should be able to see the developer menu again. Tap "Allow Debugging" one time! There will be no confirmation, just do it one time.
6. Unplug the USB, plug it back in, turn on USB mode when prompted. Back in the command prompt, type adb devices again. This time it should see the device and simply say "device" where it used to say "unauthorized". Congratulations! You can now install a launcher.

To install a launcher, like RelaunchX

1. Download your launcher apk of choice. If you don't know what to pick, try RelaunchX, and download the latest version from plusz's thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284418 (n.b. To make things easy, ignore his suggestion to get it through F-Droid as you'll need a new launcher to use F-Droid in the first place. Just download the apk).
2. In Command prompt, type adb install <filelocation>, where filelocation is the complete address of the apk. If you have file explorer open, you can just type adb install then a space, then drag the file in to the terminal and it will copy the location for you. (Make sure again that there is a space between "install" and the path or it won't work).
3. ADB should do it's thing and you will get a "success" message in Terminal.
4. Eject the nook from the PC. Shortly after the connection is cut, a window should open on the nook allowing you to select either the nook launcher or your new launcher. If you use RelaunchX, you may get a warning that it wasn't built with this device in mind. You can ignore it, it works great on this device.

This is all great, except there's a bug in how B&N set up the device that only shows up if you install a new launcher. If you reboot the device, you'll be stuck on the boot animation until you do weird things like hold down the power button for a long time to pull up the reboot/power off options (only seems to sometimes work). To fix that, we actually have to disable, remove, or replace the boot animation file itself.

To root:
1. Download the modified Glowlight Plus script attached here ("rootGL3.zip" - almost identical to cazar's rooGLP-3 script package, but with one line changing the model number from 510 to 520)
1. Enable USB debugging in Developer options
2. Connect USB cable and make sure your nook is showing up in 'adb devices'
3. Extract rootGLP.zip and run rootnook.cmd (or rootnook.sh on linux)

To fix (read: disable) the buggy boot animation:
1. Connect your nook to the computer again
2. (windows) open a command prompt and and navigate to the folder that adb is in.
3. Enter the following commands, in order:

Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount, rw /system
mv /system/bin/bootanimation /system/bin/bootanimation.bak
reboot
OPTIONAL: To restore a working boot animation (steps above will replace broken boot animation with a black screen that goes away after a few seconds)
1. Download the attached zip
2. If it's not still connected, connect the Nook to the computer again and tap the button on the nook to turn on USB mode when prompted
3. On your computer, open up the Nook in Explorer(/Finder/your file manager of choice). Open up the NOOK Folder if you see one.
4. Copy the file inside the zip (bootanimation) to that folder on the Nook.
5. (windows) open a command prompt and navigate to the folder that adb is in.
6. Enter the following commands:

Code:
adb shell
su
cp /storage/spsd/NOOK/bootanimation /system/bin/bootanimation
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
cd /system/bin
chmod 755 bootanimation
reboot
You now have a rooted Nook Glowlight 3 that'll boot into a launcher of your choice! You can now sideload apks of your choice using adb the same way you installed RelaunchX.

Have fun!

Sources for these instructions:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=118 (how to sideload onto nook 3)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=113 (same as above, diff user)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...65#post3632665 (to get RelaunchX)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...php?p=64191791 (for nook GLP rooting script)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=127 (to fix boot animation loop)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Nook_GL_4.6_bootanimation.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.9 KB, 480 views)
File Type: zip rootGL3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.95 MB, 62 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jptiger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jptiger Ad-Free

10th June 2018, 08:02 PM |#2  
OP Member

More
If someone knows a step-by-step way to replace the stock bootanimation with the 4.6 bootanimation file (zipped up and attached here, thanks to RyogoNA), let me know and I'll update the OP. I tried used adb shell to copy it to /system/bin/bootanimation, but I still just get a black screen on startup in its place.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Nook GL 4.6 bootanimation.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.9 KB, 64 views)
16th June 2018, 11:55 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Boston
Thanks Meter: 1,088

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptiger

I still just get a black screen...

Mmm, did the copy of bootanimation work?
Did you:
Code:
/system/bin # chmod 755 bootanimation
7th July 2018, 02:33 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Tried that, but I got an error about a Read-only file system, even after using su. What's the basic thing I'm missing?
18th July 2018, 05:26 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jptiger

Tried that, but I got an error about a Read-only file system, even after using su. What's the basic thing I'm missing?

Got a private message pointing me to the command I was missing, apparently from a how-to page in Russian. For anyone else trying to do this, try:

Code:
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
cd /system/bin
chmod 755 bootanimation
18th August 2018, 04:05 PM |#6  
Boston
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can't get adb devices to give autorhized access to ng3 w 4.9.2.24 os
First off thank you for doing this work, and I am excited to root my ng3!

In trying to follow your directions on rooting, I am hitting a snag. The os is not operating in the anticipated manner. When I do the usb unplug and replug and hit the usb debugging checkbox I can not get authorization.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!
20th August 2018, 01:37 AM |#7  

More
Trouble with root
Hi,

Thanks for putting this all together. However, I'm having trouble with the root step.

You'll have to put the link together because as a new poster I can't post links.

Any help would be appreciated!

imgur . com
/a
/ckm0jRq
26th October 2018, 03:24 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xelcho

First off thank you for doing this work, and I am excited to root my ng3!

In trying to follow your directions on rooting, I am hitting a snag. The os is not operating in the anticipated manner. When I do the usb unplug and replug and hit the usb debugging checkbox I can not get authorization.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Hmm. Did you get authorization after following the directions under "To Set up ADB on your Nook"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3R0k2b2

Hi,

Thanks for putting this all together. However, I'm having trouble with the root step.

You'll have to put the link together because as a new poster I can't post links.

Any help would be appreciated!

imgur . com
/a
/ckm0jRq

Ooh, that's exotic. I've never seen that before. Just going off the error text, you might need to find a newer version of adb somewhere online. Try that or try a different computer?
28th October 2018, 05:36 AM |#9  

More
Adb is super stable for many years now, although it can fail to connect to your device properly for many reasons.

Can you reach developer menu navigating with nooks keys? I sometimes enable /disable /enable usb Debug, followed or preceded by revoking all PC's permissions. These are all standard options in android phones s system. menus. Rebooting nook may help too, and numerous times I've seen bad cables get in my way. Tip, just because a cable works with one device is not a guarantee it's working everywhere.
28th October 2018, 07:13 PM |#10  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 2

More
RE: STEP 6. "From windows, eject the nook to disconnect nook's file sharing."

Note:

1. The location of the eject menu is where you typically see "Safely remove hardware and eject media" in the windows taskbar.

2. After attempting to eject your Nook GLP, you may get a window that pops up that says "Windows can't stop [your device]" because a process is using it -- and you may not be able to track down which process is using it (for me, closing all windows and apps didn't help). If this is the case, hit "WINDOWS+X >> Shut down or Sign Out >> Sign out" -- then log back in. This *should* stop all processes and allow you to proceed to the next step (it did for me).

*My Nook GLP recently updated and I lost root. This also caused the startup animation to continue non-stop (but holding the power button and then selecting cancel from the options allowed me to select which launcher I wanted to use).

** Additionally, I had one other issue. My (windows) laptop wouldn't recognize my nook at all. Turns out it was the USB cable. So if you have that issue, try using a different USB cable -- preferably the one that came with your nook.
14th November 2018, 12:26 AM |#11  

More
Missing epubs
So I followed the instructions, everything comes up great. I can sideload apps, I have a new launcher etc. But if I copy a file (epub or otherwise) into the NOOK folder on my PC and then browse to the NOOK folder using the file manager on the Nook reader, its empty. At first I thought it was an issue with the file manager, so I installed another one. Same thing.

When I load epubs into the NOOK folder and open the B&N launcher, it sees the books and adds them to my library. But for whatever reason I can not find where the epubs are using a file manager. I even tried using grep to search for the file I copied in adb shell but it doesn't come up with anything. Anyone know whats going on and how to fix it?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)