FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[LIST] Quick & useful links to Kernels / ROMs / Great apps

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By TheChouffy, Junior Member on 1st January 2015, 11:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I recently (re)started to play with my NSTG, and I did some digging in theses forums so I made a list with all the useful information I found here.
All of this helped me to make my Nook like it's brand new

I hope that I'll avoid some time-consuming dig to people here and think that it'll be useful to any newcomer !
Please let me know if there's any problems (links, translation, ...)

For information, I also published it on my blog, here.
Pour les français, vous pouvez trouver la version originale ici !

CWM Recovery
Differents version : on the SD Card (128 Mb or 2 Gb), or integrated in the system, see here - XDA.
For launching it, just power on the Nook and press the two lower buttons (left & right) when the screen change for "Read Forever", and wait for the recovery

Kernels
Kernel installer via CWM : Download this archive file here and place the uImage and uRamdisk files in the /boot directory, then flash it.

Compatible with the 1.2.x system : FastMode application: GitHub and FastMode2 : XDA : very useful to switch refreshing mode !
Finally, you'll find some useful scripts here.

Roms

Base 1.1.x (NST) : Base 1.2.x (NST et NSTG) : Some useful applications
Notes
Usefuls ADB commands
  • Remount the system with Read-Write rights : mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl12 /system
  • See the actual CPU speed (BogoMIPS) : cat /proc/cpuinfo

Edits :
  • 2015-01-21 : Update ADW and Extended Power Menu
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheChouffy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheChouffy Ad-Free

NOOK!E
2nd January 2015, 03:11 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
@TheChouffy, nice list, thank you!

Would you care to explain your issues with @antsm's power menu mod? I betcha I could get you all cleared up.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
2nd January 2015, 06:31 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ИΘΘK¡€

@TheChouffy, nice list, thank you!

Would you care to explain your issues with @antsm's power menu mod? I betcha I could get you all cleared up.

Thank you for your support !

I tried to replace the framework.jar, but I was stuck in a boot-loop on the "Nook with dot" startup screen.
Maybe I did not replace the permissions (chmod 644), as I installed via CWM ?

I'll try maybe next time, but as I have not installed the CWM Recovery on the Nook, I fear the Reboot to Recovery button (as it does a factory reset, isn't it ?)
NOOK!E
2nd January 2015, 06:56 PM |#4  

More
@TheChouffy, I'd recommend using ES File Explorer to copy/paste the framework.jar from the external sdcard (wherever you placed it) to /system/framework. You won't get a bootloop, I promise. Don't use CWM to install it - that just makes it harder!

Use the instructions here to install CWM as your default recovery. I can testify that if you install CWM on your Nook, the "Recovery" button will take you to CWM, and not an instant factory reset.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
2nd January 2015, 09:29 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ИΘΘK¡€

@TheChouffy, I'd recommend using ES File Explorer to copy/paste the framework.jar from the external sdcard (wherever you placed it) to /system/framework. You won't get a bootloop, I promise. Don't use CWM to install it - that just makes it harder!

Use the instructions here to install CWM as your default recovery. I can testify that if you install CWM on your Nook, the "Recovery" button will take you to CWM, and not an instant factory reset.

I retried to install the modded framework.jar and it worked ! It's just (much) longer to boot, so I don't know if I'm gonna keep it.

I did not installed CWM as recovery as I thought I'll lose the v166 Kernel but I mis-read the install script : the two can be present at the same time =

BUT I don't know why, my Nook suddenly refuse to start after these modifications (while that worked before and I haven't changed anything) ... A partial restore of /boot and /system corrected that.

Anyway, thanks for your help ! (I'll try to read some books now )
NOOK!E
2nd January 2015, 11:04 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChouffy

I retried to install the modded framework.jar and it worked ! It's just (much) longer to boot, so I don't know if I'm gonna keep it.

I did not installed CWM as recovery as I thought I'll lose the v166 Kernel but I mis-read the install script : the two can be present at the same time =

BUT I don't know why, my Nook suddenly refuse to start after these modifications (while that worked before and I haven't changed anything) ... A partial restore of /boot and /system corrected that.

Anyway, thanks for your help ! (I'll try to read some books now )

It only takes a super long time to boot the first time you replace the framework.jar. After that, back to normal boot time.

Have a fun reading time!
20th January 2015, 09:37 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:

• ADW Launcher : I used this version (google it !) : (ADW.Launcher_v1.3.6_Standalone) with this eInk theme.

FWIW, this version of ADW Launcher is available at F-Droid:

https://f-droid.org/repository/brows...g.adw.launcher
20th January 2015, 11:16 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbH

FWIW, this version of ADW Launcher is available at F-Droid:

@RobbH,

Thanks for the help !
I will edit the post right now with your link.
NOOK!E
21st January 2015, 12:01 AM |#9  

More
@TheChouffy, try this link, too, for my ADW Launcher .apk file: https://db.tt/RbcLXkci

7th January 2016, 12:32 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:

Is this app really helpful?
Will it eliminate tiny black dots that remain on the screen?
8th January 2016, 05:38 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107

Is this app really helpful?
Will it eliminate tiny black dots that remain on the screen?

To be honest, I don't use it, but it seems to work and It may be useful if you use it with FastMode2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)