I recently (re)started to play with my NSTG, and I did some digging in theses forums so I made a list with all the useful information I found here.
All of this helped me to make my Nook like it's brand new
I hope that I'll avoid some time-consuming dig to people here and think that it'll be useful to any newcomer !
Please let me know if there's any problems (links, translation, ...)
For information, I also published it on my blog, here.
Pour les français, vous pouvez trouver la version originale ici !
Differents version : on the SD Card (128 Mb or 2 Gb), or integrated in the system, see here - XDA.
For launching it, just power on the Nook and press the two lower buttons (left & right) when the screen change for "Read Forever", and wait for the recovery
Kernel installer via CWM : Download this archive file here and place the uImage and uRamdisk files in the /boot directory, then flash it.
Compatible with the 1.2.x system :
- v166 : Wifi, GlowLight, NoRefresh2, 1 Ghz - XDA Link
- v174 : Wifi, (GlowLight) sans on/off, NoRefresh2, 1 Ghz - XDA Link
- v174mod : Wifi, GlowLight, NoRefresh2, 1 Ghz- XDA Link
- Not tested : Kernel with USB-Host : original version and version with the SD10 patch.
- Just in case, the original NSTG kernel
Finally, you'll find some useful scripts here.
Base 1.1.x (NST) :
- TouchNooter 2.1.31 : not tested
- GlowNooter 1.12.25 : 1.2.0
- pinguy1982 Tweaked Modded ROM
- 1337 ROM
- Original 1.2.1 - B&N USA : English only, no dictionaries
- Original 1.2.1 - B&N UK : Multi-lingual, dictionaries
- Install via CWM : check Install zip > Toggle Signature Verification before installer
- If the checking process doesn't work, try a repack with the 1337 ROM (take the modded update.zip from it and replace all the files with the official one). The verification isn't needed with this method.
- Root with Nook Manager
- Nook Clear Screen-ST/GlowLight
- Amazon Kindle for Nook
- ADW Launcher : I used the v1.3.6 Standalone version with this eInk theme.
- Calibre Sync : sync Nook with a Calibre PC, see the author site
- Scan Media to refresh the list of books in the B&N Reader app.
- Book button menu, to customize the book button.
- LinkPush : send links to the Nook. The android application is not mandatory, just save this bookmark : http://linkpush.appspot.com/go.
- APK-Info, to check the proprieties of an APK on Windows
- Extended power menu : very long to boot on the 1st time
- Best Android non-PDF Reader Apps for NST
- Some RAM ameliorations
- Remount the system with Read-Write rights : mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl12 /system
- See the actual CPU speed (BogoMIPS) : cat /proc/cpuinfo
- 2015-01-21 : Update ADW and Extended Power Menu