FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nook Glowlight 3

279 posts
Thanks Meter: 55
 
By Windsor1959, Senior Member on 1st November 2017, 11:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
B&N just announced a new eInk device called the Glowlight 3. You can see it on the B&N website. It's a 6 in. reader with what look like wide bezels. No waterproofing, but the display has a "Night Mode". I can't find out if the 3 runs Android or something else.

Does anyone else have any info on this? It's due to ship on November 8.
 
 
3rd November 2017, 05:44 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55
 
More
Follow-Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor1959

B&N just announced a new eInk device called the Glowlight 3. You can see it on the B&N website. It's a 6 in. reader with what look like wide bezels. No waterproofing, but the display has a "Night Mode". I can't find out if the 3 runs Android or something else.

Does anyone else have any info on this? It's due to ship on November 8.

I emailed B&N, asking them about this device's OS. Here is their reply, for those who are interested:

Please be advised that the new NOOK Glowlight 3 has an operating system of Android 4.4.2 (KitKat). Also, please be informed that it does NOT run other Android applications or work with Google Play Store.

Edit: Those of you who have the Glowlight Plus know that apps can be installed on it. So I'm guessing that a way can be found to install apps on the Glowlight 3.

I asked the folks at the nearest B&N store to reserve one for me when it arrives. Once I get it, I'll see if I can install a launcher and some apps by adb. I'll let you know if it works.
8th November 2017, 07:06 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55
 
More
I now have a Glowlight 3. It looks very much like an upgraded NST, maybe slightly larger due to the size of the bezels. However, it feels very light, and it's a pleasure to hold. The folks at the B&N store tell me that covers will be available in two weeks or so.

The 3 has a total of 8 gb of internal storage. However, after my 3 updated, I saw, in Storage, two partitions listed: one for Nook store content ( about 4.5 gb) and one for sideloaded books (about 0.95 gb). When I plugged the 3 into my Mac, I saw a Nook drive of about 1 gb. That was it. So, sideloading is limited.

By tapping on the Nook icon in Settings-About a number of times, a menu comes up that includes developer options. One can enable USB debugging there. However, when I started Terminal, connected my 3 to my laptop, and typed "adb devices", Terminal saw the device, but also came up with "unauthorized". After some attempts at turning usb debugging off and on again, and trying to deauthorize my computer and reauthorize it, I finally got authorization. Then, one can simply type "adb install .." followed by an apk, from Terminal, and install apps. Install a launcher first, so you can find app icons. I did not try rooting the 3. I just wanted to see if apps can be installed. The 3 is not designed to run apps, so if you go this route, stick with apps that focus on reading and do not make many demands on the hardware.

As a reader, the 3 does a good job. There are two buttons on either side of the display, so you can turn a page back or forward from either side. Text is clear, as you'd expect. There are several font options, and all the common customization choices. There is a slight hesitation from a button click to a page turn. Clicking the buttons makes a sound - for those who care. The display is recessed from the bezel, rather than flush. You can't put a microSD card into the 3.

Feel free to ask questions, if you wish. I'll post more as I learn more about the device.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windsor1959 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Windsor1959 Ad-Free
8th November 2017, 09:37 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Just got mine as well - SO love the fact that it's so easy to turn on developer mode and install apps - thanks for the confirmation. My needs are few: Calibre Companion, dropsync, web browser. I don't really need root either - I've been down the road of trying to push an ereader to its limits - I end up screwing around with the tech more than just reading. I'll also report back if I have any problems with any particular apps or if anyone wants me to try something out.

As far as reading, I can tell already that this is going to be a superior device than the Nook Glowlight Plus - that thing was slippery, weighted funny, the single non-physical button was frustrating as all get out. This really is the classic form factor of my all-time favorite Nook. I love the fact that I can turn the light on and off by long-pressing the N button again! And while I had long-since gotten used to not having physical page turn buttons, it is nice to have that option again - it might help with being able to navigate around other apps (rather Button Savior). The only small downside that I can see to there is no water-resistance - but that's not really important to me, esp. compared to the other upsides gained with this model.
The Following User Says Thank You to spedinfargo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spedinfargo Ad-Free
8th November 2017, 09:48 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55
 
More
I went down the root road with the Glowlight Plus, trying to get Play Store to work - and losing root at every system update. It wasn't worth the bother. A few apps, like you say, and I'm good to go.

It used to be that Calibre Companion didn't work for long if Play Store was not installed on a device, as CC would "phone home" to make sure we were legit owners. Has that changed? I didn't install CC on the Glowlight 3 for that reason.
8th November 2017, 10:20 PM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor1959


It used to be that Calibre Companion didn't work for long if Play Store was not installed on a device, as CC would "phone home" to make sure we were legit owners. Has that changed? I didn't install CC on the Glowlight 3 for that reason.

I can't remember how I installed it (or what version) - I'm pretty sure it was a side-loaded APK, though, and it worked for me through the life of the Glowlight Plus without any problems. I do know that I purchased it, but I can't remember how the copy-protection worked.
8th November 2017, 10:55 PM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
I would be very grateful if anyone could post hw info. I'm mostly interested in cpu and screen, and RAM.
8th November 2017, 11:44 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogoNA

I would be very grateful if anyone could post hw info. I'm mostly interested in cpu and screen, and RAM.

Wiki page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Nook_GlowLight_3

Ram: 512? When I go to ReLaunch it shows Total: 460M / Free: 147M which I assume would be half a gig... (?)

Screen info (is this pretty much the same as the Glowlight Plus?):
Screen: 6" 300-dpi screen with built-in glare- scratch- and fingerprint-resistant lens provides a paper-like reading experience.
Resolution: 1072 x 1448 pixels
Is this helpful at all? cat /proc/cpuinfo:
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 1988.29
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x2
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 10

Hardware : Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite NTX Board
Revision : 60200
9th November 2017, 12:05 AM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo

Ram: 512? When I go to ReLaunch it shows Total: 460M / Free: 147M which I assume would be half a gig... (?)

too bad, I was hoping they upgraded it to 1gb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo

Wiki page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Nook_GlowLight_3
Screen: 6" 300-dpi screen with built-in glare- scratch- and fingerprint-resistant lens provides a paper-like reading experience.
Resolution: 1072 x 1448 pixels

cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/xwi please, if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo

Hardware : Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite NTX Board

oh... I was hoping for i.MX7. Well, not too bad still.
9th November 2017, 04:02 PM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogoNA

cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/xwi please, if possible.

Here ya go:
320_R187_AF0C21_ED060KG2C2_TC
9th November 2017, 04:05 PM |#11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo

Here ya go:

320_R187_AF0C21_ED060KG2C2_TC

Thank you. So, they've actually using new waveform oposed to Nook Glowlight Plus. I'm curious if they've implemented e-ink regal support.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes