FORUMS

[NST/NSTG] FW 1.2.2 update

1,152 posts
Thanks Meter: 306
 
By nmyshkin, Senior Member on 3rd May 2018, 11:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've been waiting around for more than a week for my second "new" NST to update. It finally did so yesterday. The update has been mentioned on the Mobileread forums and one XDA member has already asked about rooting it so I thought I'd see what I could learn. You apparently won't learn anything from B&N as they either respond as if this is something that should not happen (so beware!) or they say it provides minor enhancements. There is no notice of the update on their cobweb-ridden website for the NST, no opportunity to do a manual update. It takes about a week of WiFi on all the time to catch the rolling push.

Edit: B&N has since posted the update zip on their website. For users with non-US firmwares, I recommend flashing US 1.2.1 firmware (see https://sites.google.com/site/xcdguides/nook/nookB&N). You cannot register 1.2.1 but you can update it before registering. At the "welcome" screen connect the device to your PC and transfer the update zip from B&N. Let the device sleep and it will do the update. Then you can register if you desire.

What's new?

I can't claim to have done a thorough shakedown but there is no obvious change in the device on FW 1.2.2. I suspect this is a security update to keep the devices in line with new security measures on B&N servers so that owners can still spend money at B&N via the devices But I was curious to see if the cacerts.bks file had been changed since some certificates have already failed (a few of which have been fixed already by @tshoulihane to keep the Kindle app working). No joy there--not that I was surprised. B&N doesn't need cacerts to ensure correct negotiation with their servers via their own apps. Everything seems exactly the same.

To update or not to update

If, like me, you rooted your device earlier with NookManager, the update will fail and your device will spontaneously reboot. This behavior (occurring every Sunday morning as I listened to NPR on the TuneIn app) is what lead me to the conclusion that it was the update process. If you don't give a hoot about the update but you're not keen on having your device reboot on a whim, here is a fix: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...59&postcount=3

I don't know about other rooting methods potentially interfering with the update process.

If you just must have the update, it is likely you will need to restore your device to stock, re-register it, and leave WiFi on for a week or so until the update occurs (I left mine on the Library screen so I would know when a reboot--taking you to Home--occurred).

Can I root it?

The short answer is "yes".

NookManager is versatile and wonderful, but it does have a bit of dust on it by now. I plan to look into that and start another thread. For now, there are two files which need to be edited in order to use it successfully with FW 1.2.2. You'll want Notepad++ or similar.

Prepare the NookManager card as described in its thread. Examine the prepared card in your PC. You'll see one partition:

NookManager

In that partition find the folder "scripts". You need to edit these two files:

install_nookmods
install_old_installer

In both files the change is the same. Near the top of the file you will find this line:
Code:
if [ "$SYSTEM" != "1.2.0" -a "$SYSTEM" != "1.2.1" ]; then
You want to change it to look like this (my changes in red):
Code:
if [ "$SYSTEM" != "1.2.0" -a "$SYSTEM" != "1.2.1" -a "$SYSTEM" != "1.2.2" ]; then
Not sure how touchy spaces, etc., are, but try to follow what's already there. Save the files and you're good to go.

Now....there is an issue with a few apps like Opera Mobile and Tasker not wanting to install. They are the only two I have encountered so far. Here is the "fix": https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...02&postcount=5
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nmyshkin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nmyshkin Ad-Free
21st June 2018, 05:34 AM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thanks!!
It works, Thanks! I just rooted my new NSTG with no issues.
23rd September 2018, 06:38 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34
 
More
Hi, I have followed all the steps, but when I restarted my Nook its directly booting into NOOK system instead of NookManager.
Can you please help me here, I don't see any logs to upload.
Thanks
23rd September 2018, 08:16 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 306
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniwings

Hi, I have followed all the steps, but when I restarted my Nook its directly booting into NOOK system instead of NookManager.
Can you please help me here, I don't see any logs to upload.
Thanks

If it's not booting off the card then one or more of the files on the card must be damaged. Rather than trying to figure it out, it would be easier to just make a new card (try formatting your old one and writing the image again). I wouldn't even make the changes needed for 1.2.2 until you establish whether the card boots. You don't have to use NookManager, just see if it will boot and then exit if it does. Then you can make the needed changes and try again. If it doesn't boot after you've done the minimal edits, then somehow the card has been mishandled. Be sure to eject the card safely from your PC.
24th September 2018, 07:35 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin

If it's not booting off the card then one or more of the files on the card must be damaged. Rather than trying to figure it out, it would be easier to just make a new card (try formatting your old one and writing the image again). I wouldn't even make the changes needed for 1.2.2 until you establish whether the card boots. You don't have to use NookManager, just see if it will boot and then exit if it does. Then you can make the needed changes and try again. If it doesn't boot after you've done the minimal edits, then somehow the card has been mishandled. Be sure to eject the card safely from your PC.

Thanks, I have tried multiple times (Format and reload) but till it does not boot into sdcard. I will try once again from scratch in the weekend.
14th October 2019, 01:16 AM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Great!
Its works perfectly, i rooted my nook simple one touch with update 1.2.2
27th November 2019, 08:36 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I am in the UK and have a Nook Simple Touch Glow-light. It was on f/w version 1.2.1 and would not connect to the internet. I downloaded the nook_1_2_update.zip from the USA B&N site at copied it to the Nook using the USB connection from my PC. However it would not update to 1.2.2, the zip file just disappears.
I then used the excellent Nook Region Changer, and changed the Nook to USA region. I again wrote the nook_1_2_update.zip file to the Nook using the USB connection, and after the next wake up cycle on my nook it updated to 1.2.2 and allowed me to register on the USA B&N website and browse books, etc, but not do any social media things, and also I cannot buy books or download free ones as I do not have a USA home address, which is required.
I again used Nook Region Changer and put my nook back to UK version, but this process 'lost' the 1.2.2 update so I am back to square one.
Apparently the two firmware updates to move a USA NST/G to FW 1.2.2 (downloaded from USA B&N site) and the one to ove a UK NST/G to 1.2.2 (downloaded from the now defunct UK B&N website) are different and incompatible.
My questions is "Does anyone have a copy of the UK version of the nook_1_2_update.zip file please?"
I would like to thank you guys at XDA for your very comprehensive and detailed information about the NST/G, and the tools supplied.
27th November 2019, 09:00 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 306
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by due23

I am in the UK and have a Nook Simple Touch Glow-light. It was on f/w version 1.2.1 and would not connect to the internet. I downloaded the nook_1_2_update.zip from the USA B&N site at copied it to the Nook using the USB connection from my PC. However it would not update to 1.2.2, the zip file just disappears.
I then used the excellent Nook Region Changer, and changed the Nook to USA region. I again wrote the nook_1_2_update.zip file to the Nook using the USB connection, and after the next wake up cycle on my nook it updated to 1.2.2 and allowed me to register on the USA B&N website and browse books, etc, but not do any social media things, and also I cannot buy books or download free ones as I do not have a USA home address, which is required.
I again used Nook Region Changer and put my nook back to UK version, but this process 'lost' the 1.2.2 update so I am back to square one.
Apparently the two firmware updates to move a USA NST/G to FW 1.2.2 (downloaded from USA B&N site) and the one to ove a UK NST/G to 1.2.2 (downloaded from the now defunct UK B&N website) are different and incompatible.
My questions is "Does anyone have a copy of the UK version of the nook_1_2_update.zip file please?"
I would like to thank you guys at XDA for your very comprehensive and detailed information about the NST/G, and the tools supplied.

There will never be another update other than the US one you have already tried. I think you may be expecting too much from the device at this point. A made-up USA address might be of some use, but I doubt it. Even with US firmware from the US I could never get the Google stuff to work and I just assume that B&N never cared much about updating URLs and APIs for the social media stuff and just wanted to be sure US customers could still purchase books. But that's my somewhat cynical take.

Anyway, you can always go back to US 1.2.2 and then delete ALL the B&N stuff and build your own reader if that suits you. See here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...-apps-t3972941
29th November 2019, 11:43 AM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thanks for the quick reply, I will do as you suggest. The Nook is a reasonable little reader and the glowlight is a nice feature.
You are quite right, I think I am expecting a little too much from it.
All the best,
Alan
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread