Rooting and Custom ROM

Search This thread

sany

Nov 13, 2006
I am getting my Nook ST from ebay very soon. Please help me understand the process:
What is the difference between just rooting using Nook Manager and flashing a ROM like 1337?
I am assuming, I can still install APKs after rooting?

thanks
S

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I am getting my Nook ST from ebay very soon. Please help me understand the process:
What is the difference between just rooting using Nook Manager and flashing a ROM like 1337?

thanks
S
Rooting with NookManager gives you access to "root" directories that are normally off limits to users. It also allows for various customizations. It sets the security flag for installing from "unknown sources", allowing you to install apps via a file manager (or ADB), as opposed to getting them from the PlayStore (which you can't anymore). And it installs a base set of apps to get you going, like a file manager, launcher, browser, etc. That is customizable.

Custom ROMs like the 1337 simply enable different features that some people like. Perhaps better to use the system "as-is" for a bit before you decide to wipe it out? Then you'll have a better idea of what you'd like to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: sany

sany

Nov 13, 2006
Rooting with NookManager gives you access to "root" directories that are normally off limits to users. It also allows for various customizations. It sets the security flag for installing from "unknown sources", allowing you to install apps via a file manager (or ADB), as opposed to getting them from the PlayStore (which you can't anymore). And it installs a base set of apps to get you going, like a file manager, launcher, browser, etc. That is customizable.

Custom ROMs like the 1337 simply enable different features that some people like. Perhaps better to use the system "as-is" for a bit before you decide to wipe it out? Then you'll have a better idea of what you'd like to have.

Thank you @nmyshkin, I think my liking will be towards Nook Manager. So I will try to get ready with the Nook Manager installation files and instruction. The only thing confusing here in the forum is there are too many threads and geeting lost which and where to start. Hope if I start with the original thread which is from way back 2012, it will still work. My understanding is if I am on a new firmware 2.1.2 I will rewrite the modification files to nook manager as per that thread.

thanks again
S

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Thank you @nmyshkin, I think my liking will be towards Nook Manager. So I will try to get ready with the Nook Manager installation files and instruction. The only thing confusing here in the forum is there are too many threads and geeting lost which and where to start. Hope if I start with the original thread which is from way back 2012, it will still work. My understanding is if I am on a new firmware 2.1.2 I will rewrite the modification files to nook manager as per that thread.

thanks again
S
Here's how you get started:
1. When you get your NST, execute a factory reset. This will return the device to an out-of-the-box condition. To do this, power up and as soon as you see the "Read Forever, your Nook is starting up" screen, hold the two lower hardware buttons until you see a screen prompt.
2. Register your device with B&N.
3. Update the firmware to 1.2.2 (https://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/nook2/1.2.2/351e26527e80156183e74be2da2ce89f/nook_1_2_update.zip)
4. Prepare a NookManager card according to the instructions here: https://xdaforums.com/nook-touch/development/nst-g-updating-nookmanager-t3873048, making whatever changes/additions you want in terms of base software such as a file manager, browser, launcher, etc.
5. Run NookManager. Before you do anything else I suggest you make a backup of the newly updated and registered NST. That way if something goes wrong, you won't have to go all the way back to a factory reset. After the backup, root the NST and exit NookManager.

After that, it's pretty much up to you. Any time you want to make another backup, just reboot with the NookManager card inserted and make a backup. Just remember that the backup will replace whatever is on the NookManager card, so if you wanted to keep that one, you need to have copied it to your PC first.

sany

Nov 13, 2006
1. When you get your NST, execute a factory reset. This will return the device to an out-of-the-box condition. To do this, power up and as soon as you see the "Read Forever, your Nook is starting up" screen, hold the two lower hardware buttons until you see a screen prompt.
3. Update the firmware to 1.2.2 .

Very helpful! thanks again.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
How important is this step - do I really need to register? any advantages and disadvantages?
The device software is designed to sell ebooks from B&N. Anything that frustrates this design (like not registering or disabling parts of the B&N system) tends to raise all kinds of internal alarms and the system dialogs constantly with itself, worrying about its purpose in life, its inability to "phone home", and generally fritters away a lot of its battery charge on rehearsing for a role it cannot assume.

In short, the path of least resistance results in the least system hand-wringing, improved battery life, etc. You don't need to enter any credit card information. All you need is an email address (which I suppose could be fake) and a password. Then you can forget about it if you have no interest in purchasing ebooks from B&N. I have completely ignored the B&N system except for the Reader and Library which I find adequate--and simple--enough for my needs. But everything else is hidden. It just lives its happy little digital life waiting for that one special day when I will buy an ebook with a patience only electrons can exhibit. Meanwhile I have all kinds of other stuff that I am interested in and there don't seem to be any issues or conflicts with the B&N system.

My 2 cents.

sany

Nov 13, 2006
Installed but no apps

3. Update the firmware to 1.2.2 (https://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/nook2/1.2.2/351e26527e80156183e74be2da2ce89f/nook_1_2_update.zip)
4. Prepare a NookManager card according to the instructions here: https://xdaforums.com/nook-touch/development/nst-g-updating-nookmanager-t3873048, making whatever changes/additions you want in terms of base software such as a file manager, browser, launcher, etc.
5. Run NookManager. Before you do anything else I suggest you make a backup of the newly updated and registered NST. That way if something goes wrong, you won't have to go all the way back to a factory reset. After the backup, root the NST and exit NookManager.

After that, it's pretty much up to you. Any time you want to make another backup, just reboot with the NookManager card inserted and make a backup. Just remember that the backup will replace whatever is on the NookManager card, so if you wanted to keep that one, you need to have copied it to your PC first.
I successfully backed up and rooted the device. Firmware is 1.2.2.
But I don't have any apps. Not even the base software. See screenshot. Even the extras like es file explorer were not installed. Since I don't have any file explorer, I am unable to install any apps. I want to go for ADB method as last resort. Please advice.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190410_231723.jpg
    IMG_20190410_231723.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 173

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I successfully backed up and rooted the device. Firmware is 1.2.2.
But I don't have any apps. Not even the base software. See screenshot. Even the extras like es file explorer were not installed. Since I don't have any file explorer, I am unable to install any apps. I want to go for ADB method as last resort. Please advice.
Thanks
You can try for ADB (more headaches there), but it would be better now to get some useful apps and have a way to conveniently side-load others. You are supposed to be able to install apps from Relaunch in the file manager screen. That would involve copying the apk file to the NST via a USB connection, then locating that apk file using the file folder browser and tapping on the icon. I could never get that to work, but it is supposed to work.

Failing that, you need to revisit NookManager. You must not have done the customization correctly if none of the apps you wanted were installed. If you can get that fixed, you can simply root again with NookManager (right on top of what you have now) and it will fix the problem IF you get it set up correctly.

There are four steps required to add an app to the NookManager rooting routine:
1. Copy the apk file to the folder files/data/app on the NookManager SD card
2. in the folder "scripts" on the NookManager SD card, copy and rename one of the "install_x" files so it represents the app you just moved into the folder in step 1. So, if you want ES File Explorer, you might rename the file "install_esfileexplorer"
3. Edit the file you just copied and renamed, changing the name of the apk file in the first line to exactly match the filename of the apk file you have replaced in files/data/app. So continuing the example, "es_file_explorer.apk" (which is the name of the apk file as I provided it). Then edit the "echo" statement so it reads something like "echo ES File Explorer installed"
4. Locate the file scripts/do_root. Copy and rename one of the "install_x" files so it matches what you did earlier, in this case "install_es_file_explorer". There are no contents to edit.

You need to do those four steps for each app you want to add to the install list. To remove an app you don't want (like the Amazon App Store), remove the apk file from files/data/app, remove the "install_x" file for that app from the folder "scripts", and remove the "install_x" file for that app from the file scripts/do_root.

sany

Nov 13, 2006

Thanks, I followed all those steps...I will take a relook at it. But without es file explorer, I thought there is already a file manager. How to I get there as I can't see anything in the app drawer? (Screenshot in previous post).

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks, I followed all those steps...I will take a relook at it. But without es file explorer, I thought there is already a file manager. How to I get there as I can't see anything in the app drawer? (Screenshot in previous post).

I know very little about Relaunch, but I believe you need to tap on the open door in the upper right corner to get out of the app drawer.

sany

Nov 13, 2006
Oh okay! I was expecting to launch file manager from app drawer. So when relaunch opens we are already in file explorer.
One more question: how do we make dictionary work in the default nook reader, that is when you you open a book from library. I thought pressing on a particular word will present me the option. I only see option to bookmark. I have to read the manual again.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Oh okay! I was expecting to launch file manager from app drawer. So when relaunch opens we are already in file explorer.
One more question: how do we make dictionary work in the default nook reader, that is when you you open a book from library. I thought pressing on a particular word will present me the option. I only see option to bookmark. I have to read the manual again.

That's how the dictionary works for me. Hold your finger on a word until it is highlighted. Then a series of options pops up from the bottom, one of which is "Look up".

sany

Nov 13, 2006
You can try for ADB (more headaches there), but it would be better now to get some useful apps and have a way to conveniently side-load others. You are supposed to be able to install apps from Relaunch in the file manager screen. That would involve copying the apk file to the NST via a USB connection, then locating that apk file using the file folder browser and tapping on the icon. I could never get that to work, but it is supposed to work.

Failing that, you need to revisit NookManager. You must not have done the customization correctly if none of the apps you wanted were installed. If you can get that fixed, you can simply root again with NookManager (right on top of what you have now) and it will fix the problem IF you get it set up correctly.

There are four steps required to add an app to the NookManager rooting routine:
1. Copy the apk file to the folder files/data/app on the NookManager SD card
2. in the folder "scripts" on the NookManager SD card, copy and rename one of the "install_x" files so it represents the app you just moved into the folder in step 1. So, if you want ES File Explorer, you might rename the file "install_esfileexplorer"
3. Edit the file you just copied and renamed, changing the name of the apk file in the first line to exactly match the filename of the apk file you have replaced in files/data/app. So continuing the example, "es_file_explorer.apk" (which is the name of the apk file as I provided it). Then edit the "echo" statement so it reads something like "echo ES File Explorer installed"
4. Locate the file scripts/do_root. Copy and rename one of the "install_x" files so it matches what you did earlier, in this case "install_es_file_explorer". There are no contents to edit.

You need to do those four steps for each app you want to add to the install list. To remove an app you don't want (like the Amazon App Store), remove the apk file from files/data/app, remove the "install_x" file for that app from the folder "scripts", and remove the "install_x" file for that app from the file scripts/do_root.
\

I followed all your instructions above and successfully installed all apps. To summarise my observation after the successful installation:
1. Only Opera browser app and ES File Explorer app works
2. Yalp app store does not work at all - it just takes me to the next screen with options to 'update' or 'run'. Pressing update keeps searching forever and 'run' takes me back to the previous screen. After several tests, I decided to uninstall the app.

I tried to install youversion bible app which also works (but its a old version) so several features not available. But at least it works.
I noticed wifi outage issues intermittently on the opera browser and also once while trying the yalp store app. It said I was not connected, but I know for a fact I was connected when I connect to the Nook store etc.,
Overall, I am wondering what did I gain out of the whole process. Not much I can do with the custom installation. So I might return back to a original nook after playing with this setup for a while. This leaves me with couple of questions that I will start on a new thread.

Thanks again @nmyshkin for your patience in explaining.

S

sany

Nov 13, 2006
To go back to original nook state - do I need to simply go into settings>Device Info> Erase & Deregister Device to get it back to out of box condition? Will this cancel the rooting?
Or do I have to stick the nook manager card and restore from backup?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
To go back to original nook state - do I need to simply go into settings>Device Info> Erase & Deregister Device to get it back to out of box condition? Will this cancel the rooting?
Erase and deregister will remove root and restore to out-of-the-box state unless you have done something serious. In that case, a factory re-image should solve the problem. That is done by powering off, then powering on and holding down the two lower hardware buttons as soon as the "Read Forever" screen appears. Wait for the prompt and follow it.

Re: Yalp Store, I just checked mine a minute ago and it's running fine. Very rarely it goes down and can't log in to the PlayStore, but it generally comes back later in the day.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

thanks
    S

thanks again
    S

How important is this step - do I really need to register? any advantages and disadvantages?
    The device software is designed to sell ebooks from B&N. Anything that frustrates this design (like not registering or disabling parts of the B&N system) tends to raise all kinds of internal alarms and the system dialogs constantly with itself, worrying about its purpose in life, its inability to "phone home", and generally fritters away a lot of its battery charge on rehearsing for a role it cannot assume.

In short, the path of least resistance results in the least system hand-wringing, improved battery life, etc. You don't need to enter any credit card information. All you need is an email address (which I suppose could be fake) and a password. Then you can forget about it if you have no interest in purchasing ebooks from B&N. I have completely ignored the B&N system except for the Reader and Library which I find adequate--and simple--enough for my needs. But everything else is hidden. It just lives its happy little digital life waiting for that one special day when I will buy an ebook with a patience only electrons can exhibit. Meanwhile I have all kinds of other stuff that I am interested in and there don't seem to be any issues or conflicts with the B&N system.

My 2 cents.
    Erase and deregister will remove root and restore to out-of-the-box state unless you have done something serious. In that case, a factory re-image should solve the problem. That is done by powering off, then powering on and holding down the two lower hardware buttons as soon as the "Read Forever" screen appears. Wait for the prompt and follow it.

Re: Yalp Store, I just checked mine a minute ago and it's running fine. Very rarely it goes down and can't log in to the PlayStore, but it generally comes back later in the day.