[APP][NST/G] CurrentCover screensaver for FBReader

Search This thread

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
6-25-23: Updated to version 1.1:
--removed dependency on Screenshot Easy (you can uninstall it)
--added small binary file, fb2png, to replace malfunctioning stock screenshot binary

While looking over potential reader apps to use on my NSTG with all the B&N stuff removed, I was happy to see that both CoolReader and AlReader automatically create a screensaver folder in which a cover image of the current book is placed automatically.

Unfortunately, FBReader does not have this feature and when I started to look at the issue I was surprised to see that cover images are not stored anywhere--at least nowhere I could find--but appear to be generated on the fly when you get to the cover page. This made automation (without actual tinkering with the app) impossible, but I finally figured out a way to adapt my Screensaver and Set Cover apps to work with FBReader (actually the app will take any current screen and place it in the "CurrentCover" screensaver folder, so be careful).

Like the Screensaver app, CurrentCover utilizes a small binary file, fb2png, which converts the current frame buffer contents into an image in png format.

To install:

1. This is a Tasker-generated app. If you already have one of my other Tasker-generated apps, you don't need the two Google maps library files included in the zip and can delete them. If you do need them, copy the two files into the locations shown below:

/system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
/system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar

Set permissions for both files to rw-r--r-- and reboot. Without these files resident, the app will not install.

2. In the zip you will find fb2png. Place the file in /data/local and set permissions to rwx rx rx.

3. Create the folder /media/screensavers/CurrentBookCover
(note: this has changed in version 1.1)

4. Install the CurrentCover app.

5. Use NTMM to assign CurrentCover to some convenient button.

6. In the Settings app select "CurrentCover" as the screensaver folder.

Using

When you arrive at the cover page of a book you are beginning to read, run the CurrentCover app by pressing the button you have assigned to it. There's a bit of a delay and eventually a toast showing a smaller image of the cover. That's it. Old images are overwritten when you start a new book.

Attachments

• CurrentCover.zip
    846.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: