FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

My Library App

176 posts
Thanks Meter: 25

By Tarnak, Senior Member on 21st July 2014, 12:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

As an owner of NGT I've decided to start programming in java and android API. Let me introduce my first project.
As I rooted my device I was missing Library launcher, ralaunch was fine but I was looking for shelves supporting launcher, epub launcher was nice but limited. So, I decided to fill the gap. I was inspired by nook library, which I think was very well designed.

For now it's in alpha stage and for easier developing it's as application, in future I'll make it as a launcher.
So, here are the screen-shots of actual developing state:

Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2014-07-21-130732.png
Views:	1766
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2863048 Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2014-07-21-130820.png
Views:	1609
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	2863053 Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2014-07-21-131031.png
Views:	1538
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2863054 Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2014-07-21-131119.png
Views:	1295
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	2863055

I'm using Calibre and its meta attributes:
<meta content="shelf name" name="calibre:series"/>
<meta content="1" name="calibre:series_index"/>

calibre:series_index is treated as integer, not as a float so if you have it as float, let me know.

Please let me know what you think about it. Let me know which features or ideas you wished to have in this app.
If anybody could contribute pictograms icons which will fit better, let me know.

---- uploaded first pre-alpha version of app ---
v0.1 - limitations:
  • scanning of ebooks is limited only to whole /sdcard/, no internal memory is scanned,
  • file browser don't remember locations, always start from root,
  • file browser don't have a bookmarks yet,
  • epub file's attribute "calibre:series" is treated as integer value, so 1.5 is 2, 1.4 is 1. Anybody uses fractions on this attribute?
  • sorting is done on re-run of app or on refreshing library, to be fixed,
  • for now, only epub filetype is handled,
  • searching doesn't work,
  • no preferences yet

v0.2
  • fixed adding of shelves
  • fixed scanning of whole /sdcard/

v0.3
  • added working bookmarks
  • added root access in manifest (in future will be used in "my file" browser to get access to blocked paths)
  • some general fixes

Let me know what you think about it.

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: apk EbookShelvesApp.apk - [Click for QR Code] (560.2 KB, 362 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tarnak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tarnak Ad-Free

21st July 2014, 12:42 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Reserved
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tarnak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tarnak Ad-Free
29th July 2014, 08:37 AM |#3  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Yes yes yes! THIS IS GOOD!
16th August 2014, 11:18 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
I've uploaded first version of my app. Hope that'll work for you.
17th August 2014, 01:59 AM |#5  
Flag West Haven
Thanks Meter: 34

Donate to Me
More
Nice app, thanx! :thumbup:
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
17th August 2014, 01:21 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Looks great - thanks! For future versions, I'd love to be able to do a dual-sort starting with genre tag so you could show shelves by tag then by series (so you could just see your SciFi series for example) or tag then by author etc. Thanks for the good work.
23rd August 2014, 10:55 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Hi,

New version uploaded, more info in first post.
Due to some manifest changes in code which fail to run I must upload again to have it working

Cheers.
24th August 2014, 12:43 AM |#8  
Flag West Haven
Thanks Meter: 34

Donate to Me
More
I'm extremely impressed, especially considering that you said you have just started programming. Very good start sir! :thumbup::beer:
OB

24th August 2014, 09:20 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverByter

I'm extremely impressed, especially considering that you said you have just started programming. Very good start sir! :thumbup::beer:
OB

Thanks, I've learned C/++ for years, so learning Java was quite easy. The biggest problem was Android API, which is complex, especially API 7 which lacks many features.
26th August 2014, 01:56 PM |#10  
Flag Atwater, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Good work! I like the way this library app opens AlReader by default and allows the standard Nook library to open the stock reader by default. I have one feature request. As many of the third party readers will open .mobi files as well as .epub, can this library be modified to use both? My practice is to have my non-DRM books in .mobi format to open with AlReader so that they do not even show up in the stock library app which I use for B&N content only. I find this a effective way to separate the two different forms of content.
26th August 2014, 10:09 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by David0226

Good work! I like the way this library app opens AlReader by default and allows the standard Nook library to open the stock reader by default. I have one feature request. As many of the third party readers will open .mobi files as well as .epub, can this library be modified to use both? My practice is to have my non-DRM books in .mobi format to open with AlReader so that they do not even show up in the stock library app which I use for B&N content only. I find this a effective way to separate the two different forms of content.

Hi, I plan to add mobi/pdf/epub only the question is how to handle this, altogether or separate in tabs.
Beside I'll add scan paths. So, for mobi we could set one dir and exclude it from scanning.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)