HOW TO ROOT NK2 / Fix boot loop after NE2 to NK2 update

Search This thread

JesterGrafix

Oct 28, 2010
Knoxville
I tried with the SuperSU that chzeckmate sent me (thanks ?) but I get an error saying SuperSU stopped and it's not in my app drawer. I get this message each time I reboot...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HOW TO ROOT NK2 / Fix boot loop after NE2 to NK2 update
    I've gotten a lot of question about rooting the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note II from people on NK2. As we know, the NK2 update has some anti-root measures in place that have caused confusion. Some people are just rooting for the first time after receiving the NK2 update and some were already rooted on NE2 and lost root or soft bricked after taking the NK2 update. First, I'll show how to root NK2 if you're already running stock NK2. The instructions for those who soft bricked after taking the NK2 update from rooted NE2 will be listed second.

Warning #1: Rooting your device will void your warranty and your insurance.
    Warning #2: I'm not responsible for your device. If you want to root it, you understand that there are risks involved. If you have questions then you should ask before proceeding or don't do it.

Instructions for rooting stock NK2.
    01. Review the warnings above.
    02. Charge your device to at least 60%
    03. Have your device, a good micro USB cable, and your Windows PC ready.
    04. Create a folder on your desktop and and name it "L900 ROOT". Download the following files into it:
    file Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note II drivers for Windows.
    file Odin 1.85. You will need to unzip this file using 7zip or UnRAR.
    file TWRP recovery
    file SuperSU (donation is recommended)
    05. Install the Note II drivers on your PC.
    06. Move the SuperSU file onto the root of your external SD card.
    07. Power off your device.
    08. Put your device into download mode by pressing and holding volume down+home+power. When the warning screen appears, press volume up. A screen saying, "Downloading...Do not turn off target" will appear. This is download mode.
    09. Right click on Odin and run as administrator.
    10. Connect your device to your PC. The ID:COM box will highlight. If the ID:COM box doesn't highlight, then see the troubleshooting below.
    11. Uncheck Auto Reboot and F Reset Time. Repartition should also be unchecked.
    12. Click the PDA button. This will prompt you to select a file.
    13. Select the openrecovery-twrp-x.x.x.x-toltesrp file from your L900 ROOT folder.
    14. Click Start.
    15. When Odin completes flashing TWRP it will say, "PASS". This may take several minutes. If it takes more than ten minutes see troubleshooting below.
    16. Disconnect your device from your PC. Your device will still be on the screen saying, "Downloading...Do not turn off target". You will ignore this warning and go to step 17.
    17. Remove and then replace the battery in your device.
    18. Boot into TWRP recovery by pressing and holding volume up+home+power until "Teamwin" appears.
    19. Tap "Install".
    20. Select the UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip file.
    21. Swipe to confirm flash. This will flash SuperSU to your device.
    22. Reboot System. Your device will reboot.
    23. You're now rooted running NK2. Sign into Google and your Samsung account. You can install Root Checker and run it to confirm root. Enjoy.

Instructions for soft bricked after taking NK2 from rooted NE2.
    WARNING: If you're stuck in a boot loop or stuck at the Samsung logo then remove and replace your battery. Make sure your device is at least 60% charged before following these instructions.
    01. Create a folder on your desktop and and name it "L900 ROOT". Download the following files into it:
    file Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note II drivers for Windows.
    file Odin 1.85. You will need to unzip this file using 7zip or UnRAR.
    file TWRP recovery
    file SuperSU (donation is recommended)
    file Stock NE2 firmware. You will need to unzip this file using 7zip or UnRAR.
    02. Install the Note II drivers on your PC.
    03. Put your device into download mode by pressing and holding volume down+home+power. When the warning screen appears, press volume up. A screen saying, "Downloading...Do not turn off target" will appear. This is download mode.
    04. Right click on Odin and run as administrator.
    05. Connect your device to your PC. The ID:COM box will highlight. If the ID:COM box doesn't highlight, then see the troubleshooting below.
    06. Uncheck Repartition. Auto Reboot and F Reset Time should be checked.
    07. Click the PDA button. This will prompt you to select a file.
    08. Select the L900VPUCNE2_L900SPTCNE2_SPR file.
    09. Click Start. Odin will flash NE2. When it's complete it will say, "PASS" and reboot automatically. This will take a long time. If it takes more than 30 minutes see the troubleshooting below.
    10. Your device is now stock NE2. Now you can either root it as you did before (in which case you're done here) or you can take the NK2 update (in which case go to step 11)
    11. You will get an update notification for NK2 shortly. Take the update when you get the notice.
    12. You will now go to the steps for rooting stock NK2 above, starting with step 06.

If you rooted NE2 and want to stop the Sprint update notification from nagging you to take the NK2 update [TAP HERE].

Troubleshooting
    These are common troubleshooting steps for issues with rooting, installing firmware, and custom recovery.
    1. Proceedure. This is the #1 cause of failure. Make sure you follow the instructions precisely. If you aren't sure about something then ask a question.
    2. Cable. A poor quality cable can prevent Odin from recognizing your device. Use a different cable.
    3. Drivers. Try reinstalling drivers.
    4. Bad download. Try redownloading files, drivers.
    5. USB port. Some computers, especially older ones, function better on certain USB ports. Try another USB port.
    6. Insufficient charge. Charge your device, it's in the instructions.
    7. Restart your PC. Sometimes all it takes to get things running smoothly is a fresh start.

I know how frustrating it can be trying to find the information you need to get your device running the way you want. I really hope this helps someone. If you need help please post a question or message me directly. We are a community and we're here to help eachother. If this has helped you, then please remember to post that it worked for you. Donations are appreciated. If it didn't work for you then ask for help. Please don't just post that it doesn't work. This process works, so it's more likely that you just a little assistance.

Cheers and happy rooting!
    Thanks for reporting your success. I'm happy my guide helped you! :)

This root method is working on OH3, too. Thanks! :)
    Thanks chzeckmate. This didn't completely work for me because I ended up doing something stupid and throwing myself into a bootloop. I had to reflash NE2 and then took the NK2 OTA. Once that was done I used Chainfire's Auto Root through Odin. Now rooted on NK2 with stock recovery. I may go with a custom recovery later but prefer to leave things as is for now.

Your post got me off the fence about trying to get the NK2 update (just to get rid of the nags) and getting it rooted.

The second set of instructions deals with fixing the boot loop. You'll notice it instructs you to flash NE2 and then take NK2 OTA and then follow the first set of instructions to root and flash custom recovery. That said, I'm glad you got yourself sorted out. If you want custom recovery now, you can follow the first set of instructions. The fact that you're already rooted doesn't matter, it's totally fine to go ahead. I would highly recommend getting custom recovery so that you can make a nandroid backup to restore from in the event you have any issues in the future. Custom recovery is also necessary for flashing ROMs and ZIPs. I'm of the opinion that custom recovery is essential. Anyway, thanks for reporting. If you have any questions or need any help with anything let me know.

By the way, if you just wanted to get rid of the update nag there's a link at the bottom of this guide for how to do that. See it →HERE
    Thanks again and happy flashing!
    So there is no way to go to stock NE2? :(

Sorry for being fussy, could you tell me please what differences between NE2 & NK2? Is NK2 a major update including new radio and bootloader?

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Tapatalk

NK2 is only a minor security update. Bootloader, modem, and kernel did not change. So you might be able to odin ne2 over nk2 but trying to odin any other version (unless we get something newer aka lollipop) will fail.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Thank you. rooting worked perfectly.