No Version of Bootloader .tar File will Run in Odin {Semi Urgent} Halp Pls

Search This thread

logannixon.la

Jul 8, 2016
I was simply messing around with my old Verizon GN2, because I need a phone to use in the absence of my htc one M9. I went to flash the "stock" version of the bootloader (the bootloaderbaseline2.tar) before I went in to do any real damage and the phone rejected it. The phone screen read the error message "wrong magic string" and the odin display reported that it dropped out after sboot.bin. Just curious whether you guys and your wisdom would have any insight in the matter? I would really prefer not to have to go out and buy another phone.

Also, woohoo for a first post on the forums. ;)

Cordially,

Nixon

bigmike35

Sep 3, 2010
Houston
I was simply messing around with my old Verizon GN2, because I need a phone to use in the absence of my htc one M9. I went to flash the "stock" version of the bootloader (the bootloaderbaseline2.tar) before I went in to do any real damage and the phone rejected it. The phone screen read the error message "wrong magic string" and the odin display reported that it dropped out after sboot.bin. Just curious whether you guys and your wisdom would have any insight in the matter? I would really prefer not to have to go out and buy another phone.

Also, woohoo for a first post on the forums. ;)

Cordially,

Nixon

Are you flashing the full firmware or just bootloader? What options did you have checked and where (in what slot, PDA?) did you put the file to run it? What version are you on, 4.4.2; 4.3? Have you unlocked it before?

logannixon.la

Jul 8, 2016
Are you flashing the full firmware or just bootloader? What options did you have checked and where (in what slot, PDA?) did you put the file to run it? What version are you on, 4.4.2; 4.3? Have you unlocked it before?

I had this phone rooted before, but it wasn't playing well with what my sister wanted it for. So, I flashed a stock image and it rebooted into its stock form. That was two ish years ago. The bootloader was never unlocked. When I brought it back out to begin tinkering, a lot of guides said to flash the stock bootloader (the bootloaderbaseline2 file) and to repartition it before going ahead with something like CASUAL. Considering my sister used it as a daily driver for quite a while, it was probably on 4.3 or whatever the last update Verizon handed out was. I do remember checking to see whether or not it had any available updates and it said it was completely up to date. When I set it up to repartition and flash the BB2 file, it was in the bootloader slot. The Odin flash then failed at the sboot.bin output and the phone proceeded to slide into the good old "connect to Kies" screen. I tried several attempts to get the BB2 file to stick (putting it in all the slots and trying it without partition and auto reboot), but all were to no avail. I have since flashed multiple firmwares in the PDA slot with only the root66_vzw_stock_system.tar.md5 version completing. However, it now displays the "Device firmware is not from verizon. Please bring it into a Verizon store for help." I know the verizon reps will be useless, so I asked you beautiful people. ;)

The only odin boxes that I played with were the top three.

Also, thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

Nixon

bigmike35

Sep 3, 2010
Houston
I had this phone rooted before, but it wasn't playing well with what my sister wanted it for. So, I flashed a stock image and it rebooted into its stock form. That was two ish years ago. The bootloader was never unlocked. When I brought it back out to begin tinkering, a lot of guides said to flash the stock bootloader (the bootloaderbaseline2 file) and to repartition it before going ahead with something like CASUAL. Considering my sister used it as a daily driver for quite a while, it was probably on 4.3 or whatever the last update Verizon handed out was. I do remember checking to see whether or not it had any available updates and it said it was completely up to date. When I set it up to repartition and flash the BB2 file, it was in the bootloader slot. The Odin flash then failed at the sboot.bin output and the phone proceeded to slide into the good old "connect to Kies" screen. I tried several attempts to get the BB2 file to stick (putting it in all the slots and trying it without partition and auto reboot), but all were to no avail. I have since flashed multiple firmwares in the PDA slot with only the root66_vzw_stock_system.tar.md5 version completing. However, it now displays the "Device firmware is not from verizon. Please bring it into a Verizon store for help." I know the verizon reps will be useless, so I asked you beautiful people. ;)

The only odin boxes that I played with were the top three.

Also, thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

Nixon

So it it on 4.4.2 then since all updates are up to date? If that is the case, you can only root using towel root. You can downgrade to 4.3 or 4.2.1 but you would need to send it in ($75) i believe or try the method here that is posted. If it is still on 4.3 i believe you can flash the 4.2.1 firmware and then run root running casual (disable firewall and antim virus else wont complete). Then find Beanstown thread and download the zip for the updated wifi/bootloader for 4.3 with ND7 radio (zip somewhere as well) to upgrade completely to newest radio/images (so it would be a 4.2.1 or 4.3 stock with complete root and unlocked). Then install TWRP and roms

logannixon.la

Jul 8, 2016
So it it on 4.4.2 then since all updates are up to date? If that is the case, you can only root using towel root. You can downgrade to 4.3 or 4.2.1 but you would need to send it in ($75) i believe or try the method here that is posted. If it is still on 4.3 i believe you can flash the 4.2.1 firmware and then run root running casual (disable firewall and antim virus else wont complete). Then find Beanstown thread and download the zip for the updated wifi/bootloader for 4.3 with ND7 radio (zip somewhere as well) to upgrade completely to newest radio/images (so it would be a 4.2.1 or 4.3 stock with complete root and unlocked). Then install TWRP and roms

So, for the moment, is there any way to get it back to stock? I was trying to go the custom recovery route in the beginning, but I now just need a phone that works. I'm pretty sure it's the bootloader firmware that is preventing the device from booting completely. Thanks for all your help.

Nixon

bigmike35

Sep 3, 2010
Houston
So, for the moment, is there any way to get it back to stock? I was trying to go the custom recovery route in the beginning, but I now just need a phone that works. I'm pretty sure it's the bootloader firmware that is preventing the device from booting completely. Thanks for all your help.

Nixon

You can see if you can flash the full Verizon firmware. Should be able to find it here or on Samsungs website.

logannixon.la

Jul 8, 2016
Just a quick update. I flashed the stock firmware for 4.4.2 and everything went over swimmingly. The phone now boots all the way into the Verizon boot splash screen. It then sits there and will not progress. I've tried wiping cache and factory resetting, but it still hangs on the Verizon splash screen. Any pointers?

Thanks again,

Nixon

logannixon.la

Jul 8, 2016
Another side update. It's still held up on the Verizon boot splash screen, but the led is now pulsing. *Shrugs in confusion

Nixon

logannixon.la

Jul 8, 2016
Ya i have had that issue before, but I did what you did is to wipe cache, data, factory and that normal let me get a full boot in.

Yeah, I've tried the factory reset and wipe cache, it still gets caught in the Verizon boot loop. I'm not particularly sure what that else to do. The 4.4.2 stock md5 is the only one that will stick in Odin.

logannixon.la

Jul 8, 2016
Ya put that in the PIT tab and firmware in PDA. When it finished, does it say complete or done (box turns green, near top left?)

Also, maybe try another firmware/version?

I tried the pit to no avail. Currently wiping again just for fun. Not sure if it helps, but the system recovery screen reads this

Attachments

• IMG_20160709_141926.jpg
    IMG_20160709_141926.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 23