AT&T OC1,NL1,NJ5 SafeStrap Work Around

Search This thread

carl1961

Dec 5, 2010
Tickfaw
cooltext1626210546.png

SafeStrap Work Around for AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 NJ5 4.4.4(SM-N900A)

work%20around.jpg

UPDATE:

Thanks to @benwaffle for NC2 Flasher and figuring out how to flash kernel in Safestrap recovery

Booting safestrap and using recovery without a PC

NC2 Flasher by benwaffle
From 4.4.4 Rom's
install and give SuperSU rights, Press "Flash NC2 Kernel" kernel will install. then press OK to Reboot , or use your back arrow if your not ready to reboot. @benwaffle Latest UPDATE app is AWESOME!! ;)

SM-N900A_N900AUCUEOC1_KERNEL_Recovery-Flashable.zip

SM-N900A_NL1_KERNEL_RecoveryFlashable.zip
Download and copy recovery installable kernel installer to sdcard, after your finished in safestrap (installing 4.4.4 rom's or add-on's Install the kernel of choice) the installer will copy boot.img to your internal sdcard and flashboot.sh will install Kernel

Using Odin and PC to install kernels

NC2-NL1-Kernel-Switch-Odin_v3.09.zip 17.8 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!WF8wgbhS!sBP6TAvjULq1wxZn21hbzMHvWGPxH75N8ceaa20kFaw

ATT-NL1-FIRMWARE.zip 48.0 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!vdtz1RrS!xvSH3nVUnVTS3ZYuGpM9PX9FDygm03xGZPeRWewBuoA

Getting to SafeStrap

• You must have Root and Safestrap installed. If Not Go here >> [How-To] Root N900AUCUDNL1 4.4.4 (12-24-2014) THANKS !!! @muniz_ri
  • Download Odin3 installable kernels for NC2 and NJ5 if you don't have them. Kernel_Switch_Odin_v3.09.zip
  • Unzip Kernel_Switch_Odin_v3.09.zip. For easy access you could place the files in a folder on your desk top ;) 7-Zip
  • Put your phone in download mod.
    Samsung-Galaxy-Note3-Download-Mode.png

• Switch off your device completely.
  • Now, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power, all at the same time.
  • Release all buttons when you see the Warning! screen.
  • Next, press the Volume Up button to confirm that you want to boot Download Mode for your Note 3 device.
  • Download Mode menu will appear and you can go on with your business, by connecting the phone to your computer.

(Don't forget to put the files your installing on your sdcard) Example: add-on's , custom rom's etc..

• Start Odin3 and select the AP-ATT-KOT49H.N900AUCUCNC2-Kernel.tar.md5 install, wait until Odin checks the file then clikck start verify with this picture ID:COM should be light bluegreen

bootNC2Capture1.PNG

bootNC2Capture.PNG
  • Be ready to press recovery when SafeStrap recovery screen shows up (If you missed the button, then hold down the power button until your phone reboots)
    background-nonsafe%20(1).png
  • You can backup your NJ5, Install any ADD-ON or even restore a NC2 backup and go back to NC2
    howto-install-custom-rom-safestrap-att-verizon-galaxys5-19-690x526.jpg

Getting Back to NJ5
  • If your still in SafeStrap Recovery Back out with back button then Press reboot, then Download
  • Start Odin3 or reset Odin3 and select the AP-ATT-KTU8P-N900AUCUDNJ5-kernel.tar.md5 install, wait until Odin checks the file then clikck start verify with this picture ID:COM should be light bluegreen

bootNJ5Capture1.PNG

bootNJ5Capture.PNG
  • Done, You should be booting NJ5
If Things Go Wrong

Odin Install's UPDATED from @Walter.White Thanks!!

AT&T [100% Stock] KitKat 4.4.4 (N900AUCUDNL1) Odin Tars download these for safekeeping Thanks to @Walter.White (don't forget to press thank's button)

AT&T ROOT,BUSYBOX,INIT.D Safestrap Recovery Install NL1 ROM

[How-To] Install & Root N900AUCUDNJ5 @muniz_ri

If you install NC2 odin firmware to get root and install safestrap and then restore a NJ5 backup, you will then you need to install the NJ5 bootloader and, may be modem to if you have network issues.

ATT-KTU8P-N900AUCUDNJ5 FirmWare
*Recovery, Bootloader, Modem and Kernel
ATT_Note-3_NJ5_Firmware_Odin_v3.09.zip 49.0 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!CNMGDKaB!g2x607AzsKhcVtwcuCYZbJH0YjqEXheSV07lPctNqwg

Odin Install's from @Walter.White

Kernel http://d-h.st/fvW
Modem http://d-h.st/F2q http://d-h.st/o2F

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Update summary

AT&T released the Android 4.4.4 software update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SMN900A) on November 20, 2014. This update is available to customers to download via Firmware Over the Air (FOTA). Wi-Fi is required for the update. The file size depends on the customer's current Android version:

Software update includes

Android KitKat 4.4.4 miscellaneous improvements, bug fixes, and security updates.
NextGenPhone APN changed to support Carrier Aggregation.
ePTT and CMAS issues fixed.
Additional apps added:
Kids Mode
Side Sync 3.0
Safety Assistance
Camera enhancement
Knox 2.0

Last edited:

orphan203

Feb 13, 2012
Did not work. Only got black screen after putting nc2 kernel on. Went back to nj5 and all good minus safe strap. I have full root and safe strapped installed

zancro

Jul 19, 2011
Burgheim, TX
Google Pixel 4 XL
I have not yet updated to 4.4.4 because I did not want to lose the capabilities of Safestrap. Your solution to that dilemma looks promising. But before I do I have a question... I am not being a smartass, I just want to be certain I understand what you have accomplished... You are now running 4.4.4, NJ5, rooted and with Safestrap using the above steps, is that correct? Thanks.

Reactions: camkie

carl1961

Dec 5, 2010
Tickfaw
Did not work. Only got black screen after putting nc2 kernel on. Went back to nj5 and all good minus safe strap. I have full root and safe strapped installed

If you installed SafeStrap correctly you will see this screen after you install NC2 kernel

You need to verify that you have busy box installed, safestrap does not tell you if it installed correctly, so download busybox from playstore or from link in OP. safestrap can be installed while your running NJ5, I've done it a hundred times testing safestrap for, @muniz_ri , @hsbadr, @@RErick and Surge1223 ;)

carl1961

Dec 5, 2010
Tickfaw
I have not yet updated to 4.4.4 because I did not want to lose the capabilities of Safestrap. Your solution to that dilemma looks promising. But before I do I have a question... I am not being a smartass, I just want to be certain I understand what you have accomplished... You are now running 4.4.4, NJ5, rooted and with Safestrap using the above steps, is that correct? Thanks.

yes I am running NJ5 4.4.4 with most Note4 apps, so I have to constantly reboot into recovery to try note 4 apps to test . ;)

This is not something NEW, this is the same steps we had to do when the KitKat OTA came out, before @Hashcode fixed SafeStrap for kitKat.

Last edited:

orphan203

Feb 13, 2012
If you installed SafeStrap correctly you will see this screen after you install NC2 kernel

You need to verify that you have busy box installed, safestrap does not tell you if it installed correctly, so download busybox from playstore or from link in OP. safestrap can be installed while your running NJ5, I've done it a hundred times testing safestrap for, @muniz_ri , @hsbadr, @@RErick and Surge1223 ;)
I had safestrap install prior to the update so I know what the splash screen looks like lol.[emoji1] I have busybox pro but it wasn't installed. So I reinstalled it and now I will see what happens. Thanks for doing this. Will report back!

K-alz

Jun 7, 2013

Carl. I did the same thing you're doing and my phone faints after flashing the NC2 kernel. Just dies to a black screen and never comes back on.

from my note 3

carl1961

Dec 5, 2010
Tickfaw
Carl. I did the same thing you're doing and my phone faints after flashing the NC2 kernel. Just dies to a black screen and never comes back on.

from my note 3

if you did not see the SafeStrap recovery screen then your safetrap recovery is not installed any more for what ever reason. Install Busy Box then Install SafeStrap app and reinstall recovery, You also should get SuperSU prop asking to give BusyBox and SafeStrap permision.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I had safestrap install prior to the update so I know what the splash screen looks like lol.[emoji1] I have busybox pro but it wasn't installed. So I reinstalled it and now I will see what happens. Thanks for doing this. Will report back!

Which method did you use to update to NJ5? thx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cooltext1626210546.png

SafeStrap Work Around for AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 NJ5 4.4.4(SM-N900A)

work%20around.jpg

UPDATE:

Thanks to @benwaffle for NC2 Flasher and figuring out how to flash kernel in Safestrap recovery

NC2 Flasher by benwaffle
    From 4.4.4 Rom's
    install and give SuperSU rights, Press "Flash NC2 Kernel" kernel will install. then press OK to Reboot , or use your back arrow if your not ready to reboot. @benwaffle Latest UPDATE app is AWESOME!! ;)

SM-N900A_N900AUCUEOC1_KERNEL_Recovery-Flashable.zip

Download and copy recovery installable kernel installer to sdcard, after your finished in safestrap (installing 4.4.4 rom's or add-on's Install the kernel of choice) the installer will copy boot.img to your internal sdcard and flashboot.sh will install Kernel

Using Odin and PC to install kernels

NC2-NL1-Kernel-Switch-Odin_v3.09.zip 17.8 MB
    https://mega.co.nz/#!WF8wgbhS!sBP6TAvjULq1wxZn21hbzMHvWGPxH75N8ceaa20kFaw

ATT-NL1-FIRMWARE.zip 48.0 MB
    https://mega.co.nz/#!vdtz1RrS!xvSH3nVUnVTS3ZYuGpM9PX9FDygm03xGZPeRWewBuoA

Getting to SafeStrap

• You must have Root and Safestrap installed. If Not Go here >> [How-To] Root N900AUCUDNL1 4.4.4 (12-24-2014) THANKS !!! @muniz_ri
    • Download Odin3 installable kernels for NC2 and NJ5 if you don't have them. Kernel_Switch_Odin_v3.09.zip
    • Unzip Kernel_Switch_Odin_v3.09.zip. For easy access you could place the files in a folder on your desk top ;) 7-Zip
    • Put your phone in download mod.

• Switch off your device completely.
    • Now, press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power, all at the same time.
    • Release all buttons when you see the Warning! screen.
    • Next, press the Volume Up button to confirm that you want to boot Download Mode for your Note 3 device.
    • Download Mode menu will appear and you can go on with your business, by connecting the phone to your computer.

(Don't forget to put the files your installing on your sdcard) Example: add-on's , custom rom's etc..

• Start Odin3 and select the AP-ATT-KOT49H.N900AUCUCNC2-Kernel.tar.md5 install, wait until Odin checks the file then clikck start verify with this picture ID:COM should be light bluegreen

bootNC2Capture1.PNG

bootNC2Capture.PNG
    • Be ready to press recovery when SafeStrap recovery screen shows up (If you missed the button, then hold down the power button until your phone reboots)
    • You can backup your NJ5, Install any ADD-ON or even restore a NC2 backup and go back to NC2
      howto-install-custom-rom-safestrap-att-verizon-galaxys5-19-690x526.jpg

Getting Back to NJ5
    • If your still in SafeStrap Recovery Back out with back button then Press reboot, then Download
    • Start Odin3 or reset Odin3 and select the AP-ATT-KTU8P-N900AUCUDNJ5-kernel.tar.md5 install, wait until Odin checks the file then clikck start verify with this picture ID:COM should be light bluegreen

bootNJ5Capture1.PNG

bootNJ5Capture.PNG
    • Done, You should be booting NJ5
    If Things Go Wrong

Odin Install's UPDATED from @Walter.White Thanks!!

AT&T [100% Stock] KitKat 4.4.4 (N900AUCUDNL1) Odin Tars download these for safekeeping Thanks to @Walter.White (don't forget to press thank's button)

AT&T ROOT,BUSYBOX,INIT.D Safestrap Recovery Install NL1 ROM

[How-To] Install & Root N900AUCUDNJ5 @muniz_ri

If you install NC2 odin firmware to get root and install safestrap and then restore a NJ5 backup, you will then you need to install the NJ5 bootloader and, may be modem to if you have network issues.

ATT-KTU8P-N900AUCUDNJ5 FirmWare
    *Recovery, Bootloader, Modem and Kernel
    ATT_Note-3_NJ5_Firmware_Odin_v3.09.zip 49.0 MB
    https://mega.co.nz/#!CNMGDKaB!g2x607AzsKhcVtwcuCYZbJH0YjqEXheSV07lPctNqwg

Odin Install's from @Walter.White

Kernel http://d-h.st/fvW
    Modem http://d-h.st/F2q http://d-h.st/o2F

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    Update summary

AT&T released the Android 4.4.4 software update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SMN900A) on November 20, 2014. This update is available to customers to download via Firmware Over the Air (FOTA). Wi-Fi is required for the update. The file size depends on the customer's current Android version:

Software update includes

Android KitKat 4.4.4 miscellaneous improvements, bug fixes, and security updates.
    NextGenPhone APN changed to support Carrier Aggregation.
    ePTT and CMAS issues fixed.
    Additional apps added:
    Kids Mode
    Side Sync 3.0
    Safety Assistance
    Camera enhancement
    Knox 2.0
    soor about that, I never caught it, like I posted above I was doing these zips just for me testing so you may find more.

But so far the ones in zip works ok and take the old samsung KitKat look away ;)

I am not crazy about themed rom's
    I will have Note 4 Port to test for you in few hours ;)
    the idea is that you flash NC2 from normal boot to use safestrap and immediately flash NL1 when you're done
    I'm sure someone more experienced than me could improve my app by stopping all non-essential services, running `dd`, and continuing with power off
    @benwaffle @Rukbat @Walter.White @tmoore3496 @mannyp01 @orphan203 @sapps

benwaffle your script with -orig worked it took me a bunch of trys but finally got a working safestrap recovery boot installer

so I use your NC2 flasher with super su rights, even though it FC it does install the NC2 kernel

then installing attached SM-N900A_NL1_KERNEL_RecoveryFlashable.zip you can boot right into NL1 or any 4.4.4 rom

so this workaround you can work and install stuff from recovery without a PC
    @benwaffle maybe you can work on your app some more to fix FC and add option to reboot ( if your app did not have it)

NC2 Flasher by benwaffle
    install and give SuperSU rights, press "Flash NC2 Kernel" before app FC , kernel will install

Download and copy to sdcard, installer will copy NL1 boot.img to your internal sdcard and flashboot.sh will install NL1 Kernel
    why add -orig at end? It will work without it.

Safestrap does that. /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 just links to /dev/null. So it won't work without it
    After you flashed everything through SS, did you reboot to Download mode, then reflash the NL1 kernel through ODIN? Just curious...

So I successfully used this method to keep SS when I upgraded to NJ5 but when I tried to go to NL1 I lost SS. I get all the files loaded and flashed in SS and when I try to boot NL1 I the display sticks at boot. It's really strange because I get the sounds from the AT&T but animation but do not actually see it. After that I get the quick vibration and the screen responds to touch with sounds as though it is registering correctly but the display stays stuck at the Samsung boot logo. I tried going back to NC2 and re-installing everything from scratch even doing the full wipe install and wiping cache, fresh root fresh install of safestrap, all verified working and tried again and got the same result. Am I missing something obvious here? I am not brand new to this but certainly not as experienced as many of the amazing talents that xda brings together.
    Any help or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks in advance.