[SOLVED] ODIN Flash failed (for downgrade, custom-to-stock, etc)

23rd March 2016 07:39 PM 5 Thanks
boydee Senior Member
Hey there awesome people!
I have been weeping over my N3N refusing to accept Stock firmware I was downloading.
I followed these steps to flash the stock firmware I would download:

Flashing STOCK firmware (via ODIN):
  1. Put phone off / battery pull
  2. Download ODIN (this one or whichever is newest at the time you read this)
  3. Open up ODIN (as Administrator on Windows PC)
  4. Press and HOLD DOWN the Volume Down [AND] the Home buttons. THEN Press the POWER button. On the screen it will show, press Volume UP to go to DOWNLOAD mode
  5. Plug your phone into the PC and ODIN will show you (in the log) that a device has been Added!
  6. Click the AP button and navigate to your downloaded firmware.
  7. Let ODIN finish the MD5 check and then press START to start flashing

So, at this point, your ODIN will either be showing PASS or FAIL.
If it shows PASS, you're good to go. Skip to Installing a recovery.
If it shows FAIL, read the Log (displayed in the program's left hand side) and observe this:
Code:
<ID:0/005> sboot.bin
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/005> boot.img
<ID:0/005> recovery.img
<ID:0/005> system.img
<ID:0/005> modem.bin
<ID:0/005> cache.img
<ID:0/004> hidden.img
<ID:0/004> FAIL!
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
Before showing FAIL!, the last thing it should've listed should be hidden.img
If yours didn't show this, it probably didn't flash the phone upto this point. What we want is for the boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, modem.bin and cache.img to have been flashed to the phone.
When it shows FAIL!, it means that the bootloader it is trying to flash is older than what the phone already has. You will probably find that you are stuck here when you're coming from LL to KK or JB, or from a newer KK to an older one.
Fear not It still worked!

What we do now is just flash a recovery to the phone (we will be replacing the stock recovery that stock ROM comes with), (or root it) and we'll be good to go.

Installing a custom recovery:
  1. Download a recovery (I use TWRP Materialized )
  2. Unzip it and re-open your ODIN (if your ODIN was still open, hit the RESET button)
  3. Do a battery pull on the phone, and boot into DOWNLOAD mode again.
  4. Connect the phone to the PC. ODIN should show in the Log that a device has been added.
  5. Click AP button and navigate to where your Custom recovery is.
  6. After ODIN finishes MD5 check, hit START and let the Custom recovery be flashed.

After this is done, boot into recovery by holding down the Volume Up [AND] Home buttons then pressing Power button.
Go into recovery and wipe Data, Cache and Dalvik (factory reset) and reboot the phone.
BOOM! You'll see the Samsung logo doing its thing and we'll be good to go!

Leave a thanks if this helps
Shoutout to @rihawi who pointed this trick out in this post!
2nd August 2017 11:50 AM 0 Thanks
GuestD1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydee

What we do now is just flash a recovery to the phone (we will be replacing the stock recovery that stock ROM comes with), (or root it) and we'll be good to go.

Okay. I had the Odin Fail because I was trying to downgrade to a firmware with earlier bootloader and as you described I installed TWRP. But now I still get the same error in Odin when trying to install this firmware even with TWRP in place... What should I do?
2nd August 2017 12:04 PM 0 Thanks
boydee Senior Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpossity

Okay. I had the Odin Fail because I was trying to downgrade to a firmware with earlier bootloader and as you described I installed TWRP. But now I still get the same error in Odin when trying to install this firmware even with TWRP in place... What should I do?

List for the steps you're taking to install. I fear that we might have gotten lost somewhere along the way.
The idea is to FIRST install the firmware, THEN install TWRP, then reboot (TWRP should be the last thing you install.)
2nd August 2017 12:32 PM 0 Thanks
GuestD1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydee

List for the steps you're taking to install. I fear that we might have gotten lost somewhere along the way.
The idea is to FIRST install the firmware, THEN install TWRP, then reboot (TWRP should be the last thing you install.)

Your post title says "for downgrade". So I have a firmware with, let's say, bootloader binary version 3 installed. I want to downgrade to an older firmware which has bootloader binary version 2. I can't just flash the older firmware, because Odin fails. So I was following your guide to install TWRP to somehow downgrade through that, but it doesn't work.

Quote:

When it shows FAIL!, it means that the bootloader it is trying to flash is older than what the phone already has. You will probably find that you are stuck here when you're coming from LL to KK or JB, or from a newer KK to an older one.

This is where I'm at right now.
4th August 2017 11:28 AM 0 Thanks
boydee Senior Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpossity

Your post title says "for downgrade". So I have a firmware with, let's say, bootloader binary version 3 installed. I want to downgrade to an older firmware which has bootloader binary version 2. I can't just flash the older firmware, because Odin fails. So I was following your guide to install TWRP to somehow downgrade through that, but it doesn't work.
This is where I'm at right now.

That's okay! it's perfectly fine for it to FAIL!
Flash it again and copy/paste the ODIN Log here for me to see and advise on what you should do next.
Cheers!
2nd October 2017 09:26 AM 0 Thanks
massive17 Junior Member
xda-developers LOGIN REGISTER search plus
Join the Experts

Post Preview:
i used odin3 v3.12.7

this is what appears on the log tab.
Added
Odin engine v(ID:3.1207)
File analysis
setupconnection
initialization
get pit for mapping
firmware update start
NAND write start
Singledownload
sboot.bin
cm.bin
Fail
Complete(write) operation failed
all threats completed. (success 0/ failed 1)

how can i fix this. please help..
please send me message @
federicorefalbor@gmail.com
facebook- fed refalbor

please. i badly need your help. i am using samsung j7 2016 (j710gn)
14th February 2018 03:51 AM 0 Thanks
aliamlb Junior Member
Dear xdas .. I trying the same to download the firmware for the Gt-N5100 at the same steps you explain before but always failed , note that I try that to try resolve the wifi problem after last update, so cannot install firmware and that is the result of ODIN, please let me know if any result here:<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin engine v(ID:3.1207)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> sboot.bin
<ID:0/005> FAIL!
<ID:0/005>
<ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
6th April 2018 02:31 AM 0 Thanks
zeroomhert Member
not helpful. you only flashed the recovery and not the whole system file. flashing the system file will took you a minute while the error on takes less than a second.
6th May 2018 07:12 AM 0 Thanks
rebelxe Junior Member
After i do the odin recovery it showed PASS . but after that phone tried to restart and the samsung logo came on thrice flashing and gone OFF . Now the phone is in dead mode. Please help me to help to resolve this. My phone is samsung note 2(GT7105)
9th May 2018 12:24 AM 0 Thanks
maks1m Junior Member
hi, if i flash firmware via odin, programs and files on internal memory will erase or not? thanks
close
Advanced Search
close