FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Pink tint on lower half of screen? Normal?

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By TapperP, Junior Member on 18th October 2014, 04:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey everyone,

I got my black AT&T Note 4 earlier today. I noticed the lower half of the screen is slightly darker, and has a slight pinkish tint on a white screen.

I do notice it in some apps, like Kindle when readinga book. Top of screen is slightly brighter, and when background is white there's a very slight pink tint.

Is that normal? Or should brightness be uniform and no tint?

EDIT: I added a photo. It's not a good photo but you can see how one side is tinted differently. In the photo the brighter top looks greenish but in real life it's not green. You can also the slight pinkish tint in the bottom half, which is the left side of the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img20141018_000523.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (64.9 KB, 2747 views)

18th October 2014, 08:59 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I wouldn't want to comment based on the image you uploaded directly since how a camera captures a digital display is much different than what the naked eye will see. If the picture on the panel is not consistent and appears polarized in any way, I would consider that to be faulty. Get it replaced.
23rd October 2014, 09:46 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Galaxy Note 4 (pink tint lower screen)
Hi there,
I have also noticed a pink tint on the lower half of the screen on new Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
As i intend to do a lot of drawing on this device the tint is unacceptable.
I wonder if there is a way to calibrate the display?
23rd October 2014, 10:19 PM |#4  
Flag Folsom, CA
Thanks Meter: 73

More
I had this issue with my Galaxy S3 display. I had at&t exchange it.
24th October 2014, 01:00 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Have this same issue on my Note 4. Posted some pics over in the thread on this topic for the Note 3 before I thought to check here. Basically there's a brightness and gamma gradient from top to bottom. The top half is perfect and the bottom half gradually fades to a point where you lose the first 8-9 squares on the lagom.nl black level test.

This one emphasizes the black crush, which can be visible in video content on a dark screen (and makes dark colored backgrounds fade to black towards the bottom):

And here's one on a white background. At first it seems like a white point issue (which I would tolerate since it's common on IPS as well), but it's a brightness gradient:

Between this and the fact that AT&T disabled the slider for auto brightness I'm a little frustrated with this supposed best smartphone display ever (I realize this second issue isn't Samsung's fault, but the auto brightness is unusable without that feature). I bought the phone at Best Buy which is mostly out of stock right now so an exchange isn't likely, assuming they even take this seriously as an issue.
24th October 2014, 01:06 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
My note 4 does not display this issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to mkalbarc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mkalbarc Ad-Free
24th October 2014, 01:30 AM |#7  

More
No issues here. Display looks very consistent.
The Following User Says Thank You to mshinall For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mshinall Ad-Free
24th October 2014, 01:33 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkalbarc

My note 4 does not display this issue.

Have you tried a dark background in a dark room? For me it wasn't that obvious until I did this (was messing around in Sketchbook). If the majority of screens are better than mine I'll definitely be trying to get a replacement as this is bothering me.

I just installed Lux to resolve my backlight issue and its settings menu background fades nearly entirely to black at the bottom. :P

*Edit: So far it sounds like this is an anomaly. You would expect places like Anandtech to report on it if they'd seen that amount of variation. I'm going to have a good time trying to convince someone at BB that this is a real defect though.
25th October 2014, 07:36 PM |#9  
Flag Folsom, CA
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Erica Griffin talks about this issue in her Note 4 review, around the 20 min mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OyNWrQJzMY
The Following User Says Thank You to msk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift msk Ad-Free
25th October 2014, 10:52 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
I got a replacement and it's perfect. No pink tint.

So, if you have the tint return it. Not all Note 4s are like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TapperP For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TapperP Ad-Free
25th October 2014, 10:53 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by msk

Erica Griffin talks about this issue in her Note 4 review, around the 20 min mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OyNWrQJzMY

Thanks, that was quite helpful. I think in general it's easier to trust reviews on retail-purchased devices over mainstream reviews with PR department selected units.

I went to BB today and looked at the display units. All perfect, but then that's not surprising (every company gives their display/review units a second QC pass, even Apple). I'll probably head to the only BB in the area that has units tomorrow and see if I can do an exchange. As long as they don't make me sign one of those "no more returns" agreements I've heard about I'm willing to take another shot in the display lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperP

I got a replacement and it's perfect. No pink tint.

So, if you have the tint return it. Not all Note 4s are like that.

Good to hear! I'll post my results after my exchange attempt tomorrow. Aside from the gradient I am impressed with the display. Not as bright as LCD in daylight, but I was drawing on a black BG last night and noticed that it has deeper blacks than my Pioneer plasma.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)