[MOD]>Set Default Camera Mode To Smooth Recording Mode

Search This thread

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Hey all,
Smooth Motion is the recording mode I most like to use, so why not have it the default recording mode so there's no need to fumble through menus to capture a moment. Bam, so here we go, I slapped this together with the help from @dwitherell for the Note3 and while I still haven't obtained the N4 yet I did the edits but haven't been able to confirm it's working...(Update***got my note 4, tested file and it works as intended )...
1st. backup (rename your original SamsungCamera3.apk to something like SamsungCamera3.apk.bak) then you can easily roll back if you don't like the mod.

***UPDATE......GOT MY NOTE 4 installed deodexed and tested camera apk and it works Perfectly ! So grab it and enjoy
Apk is pulled from @jovy23 Deodexed Stock Rom and may only work with Deodexed roms......idk (If you try with an Odexed rom you'll want to rename the SamsungCamera3.odex to SamsungCamera3.odex.bak)
Whether Deodexed or Odexed, after backing up original and then copying over the modded file Perform a Reboot.
Best of luck, Enjoy !

Original apk added just in case------->Rename from ORIGINALSamsungCamera3.apk to SamsungCamera3.apk
dwitherell said:

It looks like some smali hackery could make this default. You'd need to change two areas I believe within one smali file, and it could possibly work (haven't tried, just took a peek).

/com/sec/android/app/camera/CameraSettings.smali

The notes are based on looking at the NF1 TMo based SamsungCamera2.apk, so be mindful of that - but if I'm on the right track (again, I could definitely NOT be) you want to influence the default behavior of the mRecordingMode:I entry. There are at least two places (that might be it) where you should influence things a bit.

First off, given the static final descriptors up top it looks like RECORDINGMODE_FHD_60FPS:I = 0x4 would be what you want, and it says it needs to be a value of 0x4 (as opposed to the normal setting, which is 0x0).

So the first target is the iput line for mRecordingMode:I in the constructor method.

My suggestion - given how other things are done in the method - would be to change

Code:
iput v1, p0, Lcom/sec/android/app/camera/CameraSettings;->mRecordingMode:I
to

Code:
const/4 v0, 0x4

iput v0, p0, Lcom/sec/android/app/camera/CameraSettings;->mRecordingMode:I
as the v1 corresponded to 0x0, and v0 is often used as a set-as-the-method-progresses sort of variable.

There is another method that needs attention I would imagine - setSettingValuesAsDefault

Here there is another iput related to mRecordingMode:I - my suggestion for a change would be to alter

Code:
iput v7, p0, Lcom/sec/android/app/camera/CameraSettings;->mRecordingMode:I
to

Code:
const/4 v4, 0x4

iput v4, p0, Lcom/sec/android/app/camera/CameraSettings;->mRecordingMode:I
as v7 corresponds to 0x0 and v4 is overwritten right after this.

Good luck - hope this at least gets you started on the path to default smooth motion

ADDED @kevinrocksman increased bitrates/quality modded camera apk. http://xdaforums.com/note-4-tmobile/themes-apps/mod-camera-quality-mod-tmobile-t2918280
Awesome increase in quality !!!
This is NOT a flashable. There is a media_profiles file in the zip which needs to be placed in System/etc and get its permissions set and of course the same for the camera.apk which goes in System/App

Attachments

• SamsungCamera3.apk
    11 MB · Views: 969
  • ORIGINALSamsungCamera3.apk
    7.5 MB · Views: 296
  • kevinrocksmanCamMod.zip
    11.1 MB · Views: 490
Last edited:

s13silviaguy

Oct 2, 2011
Thanks in advance. Haven't tried it yet (busy at work) but this is the only recording mode I use as well. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to using this.

Reactions: louforgiveno

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Got my note earlier.....went ahead and tested the file and its working baby !
Go and get it!!

AoRaidenX

Jul 20, 2012
LA
Sorry for stupid question but can I just uninstall the other camera and then install modded one without having to edit the settings? If I am on the stock deoxed? Or do I have to install the apk and edit the settings?

Sent from my SM-T210R using XDA Free mobile app

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Sorry for stupid question but can I just uninstall the other camera and then install modded one without having to edit the settings? If I am on the stock deoxed? Or do I have to install the apk and edit the settings?

The SamsungCamera3.apk is already modded, so yes you can just replace the file in system/app. You won't be able to install it as a normal apk though, you'll need to use a program like root explorer and manually place the SamsungCamera3.apk into System/App , confirm overwrite then scroll to the file you copied, press and hold it till the menu pops up, then select permissions and make it so there are only check marks where the "X's" are Like this below then reboot. (Attatched some sample screenshots showing the permission setting steps with Root Explorer)
Good luck

//////// Read ___ Write ___ Execute

Owner [X] _____ [X] _____ [ ]

Group [X] _____ [ ] _____ [ ]

Others [X] _____ [ ] _____ [ ]

Attachments

• example_pics.zip
    2 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:

AoRaidenX

Jul 20, 2012
LA
The SamsungCamera3.apk is already modded, so yes you can just replace the file in system/app. You won't be able to install it as a normal apk though, you'll need to use a program like root explorer and manually place the SamsungCamera3.apk into System/App , confirm overwrite then scroll to the file you copied, press and hold it till the menu pops up, then select permissions and make it so there are only check marks where the "X's" are Like this below then reboot.
Good luck

Ah I was going to ask why can't I install like a normal app.... but I then I thought its probably cause its needs to be in a special folder but then again I thought is there a way to specify the install path when making the apk? Haha but thanks for info

Edit: I use ES file manager and don't see the option for Xs..

It says for properties .

Permissions rw- r-- r--
Owner: Root
Group: Root

Last edited:

mikeauto3

Sep 6, 2010
Question,
If I install this modded camera, will I lose this mods
Modified Stock Camera App With Disabled Camera/Camcorder "Low Battery", "Can't Use Flash", And "Unable To Start While In A Call" Alerts So Now You Can Use Flash/Camera/Camcorder Even When Your Phone's Battery Is Running Low Or During A Phone Call.
★ Use The Camera To Take Pictures While On A Call

Jovy DarthStalker rom

kevinrocksman

Oct 18, 2009
Question,
Modified Stock Camera App With Disabled Camera/Camcorder "Low Battery", "Can't Use Flash", And "Unable To Start While In A Call" Alerts So Now You Can Use Flash/Camera/Camcorder Even When Your Phone's Battery Is Running Low Or During A Phone Call.

Jovy DarthStalker rom

i will be adding smoothmotion and all of these mods u just mentioned into my app/mod set in Version 7

http://xdaforums.com/note-4-verizon...-quality-mod-time-limit-t2925067#post56484255

Reactions: phast and mikeauto3

AoRaidenX

Jul 20, 2012
LA
Question,

Jovy DarthStalker rom

Are those xposed mods? Or can you just download an apk for those? Cause no flash when battery is running low is annoying... and didn't know you can't take a picture while on the phone... I thought this was supposed to be a multitasking phone...

kevinrocksman

Oct 18, 2009
Are those xposed mods? Or can you just download an apk for those? Cause no flash when battery is running low is annoying... and didn't know you can't take a picture while on the phone... I thought this was supposed to be a multitasking phone...

This was a modification a guy made for the darkstar rom or deathstar rom cant remember. I have asked him to help me implement these into my camera mod so this smooth motion, my mods and all the mods listed above will all be in the next version of my setup :good:

pezlomd

Dec 23, 2011
miami
Is it possible to be able to force the camera to take a shot in night mode. So far I notice the phone will detect when it needs extra light and then takes a low light shot. Would be interesting to see if it can be forced and not depend in the camrera to know when

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,
    Smooth Motion is the recording mode I most like to use, so why not have it the default recording mode so there's no need to fumble through menus to capture a moment. Bam, so here we go, I slapped this together with the help from @dwitherell for the Note3 and while I still haven't obtained the N4 yet I did the edits but haven't been able to confirm it's working...(Update***got my note 4, tested file and it works as intended )...
    1st. backup (rename your original SamsungCamera3.apk to something like SamsungCamera3.apk.bak) then you can easily roll back if you don't like the mod.

***UPDATE......GOT MY NOTE 4 installed deodexed and tested camera apk and it works Perfectly ! So grab it and enjoy
    Apk is pulled from @jovy23 Deodexed Stock Rom and may only work with Deodexed roms......idk (If you try with an Odexed rom you'll want to rename the SamsungCamera3.odex to SamsungCamera3.odex.bak)
    Whether Deodexed or Odexed, after backing up original and then copying over the modded file Perform a Reboot.
    Best of luck, Enjoy !

Original apk added just in case------->Rename from ORIGINALSamsungCamera3.apk to SamsungCamera3.apk
    dwitherell said:

It looks like some smali hackery could make this default. You'd need to change two areas I believe within one smali file, and it could possibly work (haven't tried, just took a peek).

/com/sec/android/app/camera/CameraSettings.smali

The notes are based on looking at the NF1 TMo based SamsungCamera2.apk, so be mindful of that - but if I'm on the right track (again, I could definitely NOT be) you want to influence the default behavior of the mRecordingMode:I entry. There are at least two places (that might be it) where you should influence things a bit.

First off, given the static final descriptors up top it looks like RECORDINGMODE_FHD_60FPS:I = 0x4 would be what you want, and it says it needs to be a value of 0x4 (as opposed to the normal setting, which is 0x0).

So the first target is the iput line for mRecordingMode:I in the constructor method.

My suggestion - given how other things are done in the method - would be to change

Code:
    iput v1, p0, Lcom/sec/android/app/camera/CameraSettings;->mRecordingMode:I
    to

Code:
    const/4 v0, 0x4

iput v0, p0, Lcom/sec/android/app/camera/CameraSettings;->mRecordingMode:I
    as the v1 corresponded to 0x0, and v0 is often used as a set-as-the-method-progresses sort of variable.

There is another method that needs attention I would imagine - setSettingValuesAsDefault

Here there is another iput related to mRecordingMode:I - my suggestion for a change would be to alter

Code:
    iput v7, p0, Lcom/sec/android/app/camera/CameraSettings;->mRecordingMode:I
    to

Code:
    const/4 v4, 0x4

iput v4, p0, Lcom/sec/android/app/camera/CameraSettings;->mRecordingMode:I
    as v7 corresponds to 0x0 and v4 is overwritten right after this.

Good luck - hope this at least gets you started on the path to default smooth motion

ADDED @kevinrocksman increased bitrates/quality modded camera apk. http://xdaforums.com/note-4-tmobile/themes-apps/mod-camera-quality-mod-tmobile-t2918280
    Awesome increase in quality !!!
    This is NOT a flashable. There is a media_profiles file in the zip which needs to be placed in System/etc and get its permissions set and of course the same for the camera.apk which goes in System/App
    In case anyone (like myself) is handing of their Note 3 to a loved one etc. here's a link to the thread I did for the Note 3 running 4.4.2

http://xdaforums.com/note-3-tmobile/development/set-smooth-motion-recording-default-tw-t2824801

Again: Link is for Note 3 kitkat 4.4.2 only.
    OP updated with http://xdaforums.com/note-4-tmobile/themes-apps/mod-camera-quality-mod-tmobile-t2918280 set to smooth motion by default (V5)
    Get it !! u
    I used this mod by @kevinrocksman throughout my note history.....Please thank him for his work, and @dwitherell (hopefully we'll get him over here to N4 land)
    Question,

Jovy DarthStalker rom

i will be adding smoothmotion and all of these mods u just mentioned into my app/mod set in Version 7

http://xdaforums.com/note-4-verizon...-quality-mod-time-limit-t2925067#post56484255

The SamsungCamera3.apk is already modded, so yes you can just replace the file in system/app. You won't be able to install it as a normal apk though, you'll need to use a program like root explorer and manually place the SamsungCamera3.apk into System/App , confirm overwrite then scroll to the file you copied, press and hold it till the menu pops up, then select permissions and make it so there are only check marks where the "X's" are Like this below then reboot. (Attatched some sample screenshots showing the permission setting steps with Root Explorer)
    Good luck