I also have to give a big thanks to @fattire for his assistance in getting this up and running.
It has been a ton of fun!!! This is my first samsung device and I think we got pretty far in something like
3 weeks (time flies)
You *might* find some people hanging out on freenode in #cm-note4. Don't know what that means? No worries, here's a link you can use
DON'T HAVE T-MOBILE?
That's okay. While the major porting work to the Note 4 is being done by people with TMO, there are threads pertaining to other variants (who work off the T-Mobile version). You can find them here. If your particular device isn't here, start a new device repository for your flavor of the Note 4
and then start a new thread!
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
- Official CM nightlies are coming very soon. The latest few releases from Slayher above have last-minute fixes (to audio, bluetooth, battery, etc.) to prepare for the nightly builds... read the last few posts for details.
CHANGES IN 1-20-15 BUILD
- Battery Improvements
- Audio Updates.
- Settings FC's are fixed.
- A few other upstream changes.
CHANGES IN 1-18-15 BUILD
- More Audio enhancements
- Fixes and Cleanups in the init scripts
- Kernel adjustments, including disabling the UV and FP sensors
- And hopefully some power draw improvements.
FIXED IN 1-9-15 BUILD
- Selinux is setup, and fully functional. I have not enforced yet, but it should be good to go.
- Revamped the hardware backed keystore system.
- UHD (4K) Now working in the Normal Camera APK as well as Google Camera.
- The audio stack is now sharing the same HAL as the msm8974.
- . Attempted to raise recording Volume. Lets see what happens.
- Changed the default DPI to 560. Its better than 640, not as extreme as 515, and its a fully supported DPI in Google Play store.
- Upstream CM changes effected normal root access. If you dirty flash, your current root stuff should stay. If you clean wipe you have to enable root in development settings.
- Updated the Lockscreen Notification config. Now when the notification comes in, you can interact with the black and white "Ambient Display". It still does not turn on the display when you pick the device up, or remove it from a pocket.
- Now you may ask, "What does all this mean?" Well it means that the device tree should be at a point to merged in to CM mainline code, which means..... NIGHTLIES and M-Releases!
FIXED (etc.) IN 1-1-15 BUILD
- hefty changes to the power hal system (better battery)
- changes to audio HAL and Kernel audio drivers.
- Music playback after a resume from pause should be fixed.
- Performance profiles are back, and set to "Balanced" The other 2 options are Performance and Power Save.
- If you buy the App Cinema FV-5 you will be able to record video in UHD/4k. (stock camera not fixed yet)
- More fixes and features from mainline CM12.
FIXED (we think) IN 12-30-14 BUILD
- Time service (finally?) fixed (??)
- keystore stuff fixed (hardware-backed)
- cpu settings fixed
- A ton of new stuff forward-ported upstream from CM11->CM12.
BTW you may have to forget and reconnect wifi networks, BT stuff etc, cause of the new crypto routine
FIXED (we think) IN 12-28-14 BUILD
- Near-field communication (NFC)
- LED color/blink pattern customization (in Settings->Sound & Notification)
- SmartCover sleep/wake on open/closing cover
- Stylus cursor replaced with new circley-one
- Time service (we THINK.. time will tell on this one-- no that is not a pun)
- Audio volume reversal now fixed
- Many fixes from mainline CM since last time.
FIXED (we think) IN 12-20-14 BUILD
- DRM Video (Google Movies, Netflix, etc.) works
- Blank screen on some banking apps fixed
- MPEG-DASH player
- Stylus orientation bug fixed
- capacitive buttons works with stylus
- p2p fixed
- wifi direct works
- MMS bug fixed for native MMS app
- menu item should appear now in many apps
- Simcard Toolkit enabled
- Random crash that caused reboots appears to be fixed
- Android 5.0.2 merged (because...)
- Tons of upstream CM-12 improvements
FIXED (we think) IN 12-11-14 BUILD
- Capacitive screen can now be disabled/replaced by soft keys (Settings->Buttons)
- SD card/MTP issues fixed (hopefully)
- Play Store works w/apps you want.
- offmode charging
- IR mostly works apparently (I can't test this as I don't have a thing.)
- Hangouts now does video/audio chat
- NFC shut off (to preserve battery-- wont' keep trying to start)
- LOTS of goodness from upstream CM.
You may need to wipe caches, clear settings in the play store and/or wipe /data if nothing else works. Don't come and complain in the thread until you've tried these steps.
OVERALL LIST OF STUFF THAT SEEMS TO WORK
- screen w/accelerated graphics
- sleep and return from sleep
- touchscreen multitouch
- panel backlight (adaptive brightness)
- SmartCover support
- headphone jack detection/playing/buttons
- s-pen as mouse (w/ pressure data)
- Camera (front and back)
- SD card and internal storage and MTP
- voice calls
- LED lights (in correct colors)
- A ton more sensors (accelerometer/light sensor/proximity/gyroscope/sound/magnetic/pressure) work.
- vol/power/capacitive buttons + button backlight
- Mobile data
- Vibrator (with adjustable intensity)
- Video (w/o DRM) works w/sound & rotates correctly. Youtube, etc.
- Hangouts video chat
- Bluetooth pairing/audio
- wireless charging
- Play store compatibility
- turn off capacitive buttons feature
- DRM Video (Google Movies, Netflix, etc.) works
- Secure apps
- MPEG DASH
- p2p/wifi direct
- Simcard Toolkit
- UHD (4k) video
- hardware-backed encryption
- selinux: enforcing
- much much more!
In the TODO column still
MIGHT GET TO SOMEDAY
- fingerprint sensor (There is undocumented support for it in Android 5.0 but no UI in the Settings app to enter your fingerprints. So I think someone would need to write one, if someone hasn't already. Here is the HAL component)
- pop s-pen in-out [should it do something special? Let us know what you think...]
UNLIKELY TO EVER WORK (but who knows)
- TMobile wifi calling
- Samsung-specific magic
THINGS OF INTEREST
- User @bttfpromo says you can return the stock cursor (instead of the mouse pointer) with these instructions.
- User @DragonAndLance posted a link to boost the in-call sound for those who feel that the defaults aren't high enough.
- If you don't like the default screen density, @slayher points out that the following adb command will change it: adb shell wm density 515. I prefer smaller icons (which actually match the physical size of a Nexus 5). Note that these changes will "stick" to the next boot.
- Want handwriting recognition? Try the Stylus beta -- a handwriting keyboard similar to the one in TouchWiz.
- A terrific demo of the pressure sensitivity of the S-pen stylus is Markers-- it's open source too!
- If you need something special to happen when you pop the pen in and out (or press the button), check out this app.
TO BUILD YOURSELF
yourself? That's encouraged here. If you want to learn to build (and thus never have to bother weirdo strangers), you've come to the right place. Start reading about the building process on the wiki
, and then join in on the fun.
There are specific step-by-step build instructions for Lollipop on the note 4 (TMO) right here (T-Mobile) and here (Sprint).
Please fix stuff and submit your code pull requests to Slayher's github! Muchas gracias!