ddi: mmc_read failed boot error fix for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910T

Search This thread

Death-Dealer

Sep 23, 2015
This is my second time since launch going through this. The first time when marshmallow was released, I got a free advanced exchange. This second time, Sprint did that but it's been replaced with a S6. I'm putting that on eBay to pay for the note 4 that I already ordered. I just hope this one lasts until the note 8 release.

rob_z11

So I get dreaded Odin mode sometimes when I reboot, but I was able to Odin to stock to clear things out, and still get occasionally Odin mode when I reboot?

Look for new phone? Anyone has priced note4? How much?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Anyone has replaced motherboard? Looked it online for price, but not sure if I want to spend replacing it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

fidagill

Nov 6, 2010
I ended up sending the phone to Samsung. They sent it back to me without even touching it because it was rooted.
So i'm **** out of luck. I guess i'll just try a local repair place.

I would suggest to try it yourself. It is not hard. There are plenty of good videos available as how to disassemble your Note 4. I did this and I had no experience before. Now I am waiting for the motherboard to arrive and I'll replace the motherboard myself. Because going to repair shop means spending around $200 and it is tooo much.

tempy1

Oct 10, 2008
I would suggest to try it yourself. It is not hard. There are plenty of good videos available as how to disassemble your Note 4. I did this and I had no experience before. Now I am waiting for the motherboard to arrive and I'll replace the motherboard myself. Because going to repair shop means spending around $200 and it is tooo much.

Samsung f**ked me. They sent the phone back with "No economical way to fix" later i spoke to a rep and they said, your phone is rooted we don't touch rooted phones.

All the motherboards that i can find for my processor are marked as bad ESN. I already preordered the new galaxy s8 so i don't know if it's even worth fixing at this point.
So frustrating!

ubigred

Feb 23, 2010
Houston
Samsung f**ked me. They sent the phone back with "No economical way to fix" later i spoke to a rep and they said, your phone is rooted we don't touch rooted phones.

All the motherboards that i can find for my processor are marked as bad ESN. I already preordered the new galaxy s8 so i don't know if it's even worth fixing at this point.
So frustrating!
Not worth it. Get the s8+ btw

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

febzz88

Jul 24, 2013
I started experiencing this issue since last week. Out of nowhere, my Note 4 started to lag and freeze. At first I thought maybe it was the battery too, so I got myself a brand new Anker Battery. And hey, nope it's not a battery issue. Then I reformatted my phone, and yes, it was still lagging and freezing.

Fast forward to this week, last night, I got the mmc_read failed message. Shoot me.

Now I've been using the Wake Lock app and it's set to Level 4 (Partial Wake Lock). It's been much better with this App running. Of course, my battery takes a hit. But at least the phone is usable, as long as I don't restart the Phone.

My gf's phone is exactly the same as mine, Note 4, and we're exactly on the same firmware version. She has no issue at all. We've switched batteries as well and her phone works fine with any battery.

I never rooted my phone, and I've been using only the original, official firmware pushed by T-mobile. My phone is running the latest firmware (EQB1) released last month. The problem didn't start right after my phone was updated. Only since last week.

Now, I've been scouring the Internet and many say this is a hardware issue, but some say too that this is probably caused by the firmware. Does anyone now know better if this is a hardware or software issue?

I was going to get myself another Note 4 but then if this is a firmware issue, it could happen too to a new Note 4. If this is a hardware issue, then a new Note 4 may not get this problem.

There's also a conspiracy theory saying that Samsung purposely did this so as to force all Note 4 users to upgrade their phones. If this is a firmware issue, can we file a class suit? Sigh.

UPDATE 1:
I just came back from the Samsung Experience Center. I also talked with Samsung, T-mobile over the Phone today.
So basically, from what the guy over at the Samsung Experience Center told me, a few months ago, many Note 4 Sprint users had this exact same issue. Basically the firmware update caused the phone to malfunction. In the end Samsung replaced all the affected phones. I went there, talked to him, and initially I wanted him to reflash my phone but he then told me that this issue was basically a faulty firmware. Reflashing wouldn't really help because the firmware itself is faulty. The firmware could have affected (damaged) the hardware. That this exact same issue has happened in the past with Sprint users.
I then called Samsung hotline up and talked with, fortunately, a friendly and helpful rep who was willing to document everything and escalate the issue on my behalf. She told me that she would call me back in a few days to update me on how the case is going.
At this point, I'll just have to wait and see.

UPDATE 2:
And apparently I just learned that Note 4 in Europe and Sprint here in the US just received a latest firmware update around 300-400mb in size.
"The firmware update description reveals that it brings better stability and performance as well as optimizations for improving battery efficiency. This Galaxy Note 4 update also comes with the March security patch that has 73 fixes for Android OS vulnerabilities and fixes for a dozen vulnerabilities that Samsung found in its own software."

Fingers-crossed, hopefully this update will soon come to T-mobile and other carriers and fix our issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinimix

arielmt

Apr 5, 2017
Buffalo
I'm adding a "me too" to this thread. Carrier is Verizon. Phone lags, freezes and spontaneously shuts off. I've had to pull the battery and replace it, sometimes multiple times before the phone will boot. Sometimes it boots successfully, other times it ends up on the ddi: mmc_read failed boot with an Android downloading screen. Sometimes it shuts off while trying to boot. The last system update was Feb 25 but the issue only started 4 or 5 days ago. I also got a brand new Anker replacement battery but it didn't make a difference.

Though I've installed Android on a few HP Touchpads, I'm probably too chicken sh*t to try to mess with my beloved Note 4. Besides, I haven't seen anyone mention files for the SM-N910V.

Right now, I'll limp along with Wake Lock and get everything I want to save off the phone. I'll have to figure out whether insurance or trade-in is the route to take with this 28 month old phone. :mad::mad::mad:

asimwaqar

Feb 12, 2017
Muharraq
I've been reading online that some people are receiving an error message similar to this:

ddi : mmc_read failed
ODIN MODE (HIGH SPEED)
PRODUCT NAME: SM-N910T
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
REACTIVATION LOCK: OFF
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
AP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A2, P1
SECURE DOWNLOAD : ENABLE
UDC START

If so then there might be hope because I was able to successfully make my Note 4 go from a paper weight to a fully working phone. Aside from the error message in DOWNLOAD MODE there were multiple times where I had to remove the battery and place it back in because for some reason the phone wouldn't power on unless I did just that. I'm going to try my best to replicate what I did so that someone else can benefit from this.

You can find the files attached here in this link

***THESE FILES ARE ONLY FOR SM-N910T (SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 4 FOR T-MOBILE)***

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bxm0gzs2697BWF9CTk1MSnJxQlE

***THESE ARE THE FILES YOU NEED***

1) ODIN 3.09
2) N910TTMB1COD6_Modem_CP.tar (5.0.1 Modem)
3) N910TUVU2EPE3_N910TTMB2EPE3_N910TUVU2EPE3_HOME_AP. tar (6.0.1 Firmware Stock)
4) N910TUVU2EPE3_CP.tar (6.0.1 Modem)

Instructions:

1)Place phone in DOWNLOAD MODE (volume down + home + power button)
2) Open ODIN 3.09
3) Place file N910TTMB1COD6_Modem_CP.tar in CP box
4) Place file N910TUVU2EPE3_N910TTMB2EPE3_N910TUVU2EPE3_HOME_AP. tar in AP box
5) Once ODIN is finished flashing the files power off your phone and go back into DOWNLOAD MODE
6) Place file N910TUVU2EPE3_CP.tar in CP box
7) Once the file is flashed your phone will be mmc error free and you will have a 100% working phone again.

If you're having any issues please let me know.

I'm having the same exact issue.. But i have a Sprint carrier phone which is unlocked to support any SIM.. Can this work on my phone.. Please do advice.

rob_z11

i used to get mmc_boot issue when I was running LineageOS or Note7 and other ROM all together using Dualboot Patcher, and had all sorts of issue when I boot or reboot or update.

I have simplified, and running only one ROM. following what is described here has mitigated my problem if I run stock. It boots fine, and very seldomly I see mmc error, but stock ROM is slow and bloated, so I am running CM14, but still same issue if I run LineageOS or RR. If I run EmotionOS, It appears to be more stable and have less issues. I can reboot if I shut down the phone, and then wait for few seconds to power up, and it works.

I am going to keep this for a while to see what's going on or buy some time to see if I should pickup another Note4 or Le Max for about $180. Just love OLED display so much, so i may buy another Note 4.

Seriously quality issue with Note4 hardware. I have Note2, and it just works. NO MMC issue. I have note3, and no issues so far.

Woodyeli

Apr 13, 2017
What am I doing wrong? I have done exactly how it is explained. However, im getting (success 0/failed 0) I dont l know, im realy getting frustrated. Why should they take off this phone from market by killing them this way?

What can i do to get my phone back?

Last edited:

Shwetzsri

Apr 18, 2017
Still not working

I did all the steps here. It even says "Pass" and it ends up saying "successful" but the smartphone isn't switching on. It's a vibrating boot loop at "Samsung Galaxy Note 4."

It's been more than a year, no warranty. Don't know what I am going to do.

cal3thousand

Feb 10, 2009
Another person here with EMMC read errors and boot issues. This started a while back after going to a custom rom to upgrade to MM. Then, in frustration went back to stock. Still had issues constantly. The only thing that would make my phone work normally is the Wakelock app running in 'partial wakelock' mode. I'm on EQB1 and it has been slightly more stable. Phone refuses to accept the OTA updates from TMO.

I was hoping to find a permanent fix since the wakelock thing works. Not sure how it could be a hardware issue if the wakelock makes this work as normal. Of course, I will just monitor my battery more closely today.

On a side note, I went out and searched for potential replacement phones and nothing compares. They are all missing at least one thing or another: removable batt, IR blaster, S Pen, finger scanner, NFC, removable SD.... I could totally live with this phone for another 2 years if it worked properly. Maybe time to get a new motherboard.?!?!

Jdx890

Apr 18, 2017
Unlocked n910t

My wife has a note 4 n910t we got from rent a center I believe it has to be unlocked because we use it on cricket which is on at&t network can I flash the stock firmware and still be able to use it on at&t network. Also what are the chances this will fix the mmc_read error and the phone freezing and crashing

Tripper511

May 18, 2014
I can confirm that the "Wake Lock" app is what fixed this for me. You have to set it to setting 4 (partial_wake_lock) and in the options set it to "autostart on boot & Notification). With these settings you should be good to go. However if you ever reboot your phone it won't restart. The only way to restart the phone is to pull the battery, wait a few minutes then put it back in. Small price to pay to have a working phone again.

This issue is related to failing hardware. These phones were never meant to last this long but due to the issues with the Note 5-7 people have been holding on to these longer. Wake Lock keeps the CPU running at all times preventing the phone from seizing. Just like how if you cut off the gas to a car the engine stops running. Honestly the battery life on my phone is barely noticeable. The program only kicks in when you shut off the screen (if you choose the settings I mentioned). Instead of the CPU going into full sleep mode it keeps it running at a low level so it has enough juice to power everything back up when you wake up the phone.

I've been using this app for a month now and haven't had a problem since. If you read the comments about the app on the play store you'll see almost everyone is a Note 4 user.

Last edited:

Tripper511

May 18, 2014
I've never heard of that is it just an app do I need root

No root needed, it's just a regular (free) app you find in the play store. Install it, set it up with the settings I mentioned in my post before yours. You'll see in the comments for the app on the play store almost everyone using it has a Note 4 with the same issue.

Jdx890

Apr 18, 2017
Which app

I found a wake lock power management and wake lock could awake which do I need

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

My bad I meant wake lock cpu awake

lm that guy

Jan 22, 2012
guys my phone finally died on me after i've seen that message, won't charge or turn on. I even replaced with a brand new battery. nothing lol it was fun while it lasted, I ended up picking up the new Lg G6. Good luck to you all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been reading online that some people are receiving an error message similar to this:

ddi : mmc_read failed
    ODIN MODE (HIGH SPEED)
    PRODUCT NAME: SM-N910T
    CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
    SYSTEM STATUS: Official
    REACTIVATION LOCK: OFF
    KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
    QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB)
    AP SWREV: S1, T1, R1, A2, P1
    SECURE DOWNLOAD : ENABLE
    UDC START

If so then there might be hope because I was able to successfully make my Note 4 go from a paper weight to a fully working phone. Aside from the error message in DOWNLOAD MODE there were multiple times where I had to remove the battery and place it back in because for some reason the phone wouldn't power on unless I did just that. I'm going to try my best to replicate what I did so that someone else can benefit from this.

You can find the files attached here in this link

***THESE FILES ARE ONLY FOR SM-N910T (SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 4 FOR T-MOBILE)***

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bxm0gzs2697BWF9CTk1MSnJxQlE

***THESE ARE THE FILES YOU NEED***

1) ODIN 3.09
    2) N910TTMB1COD6_Modem_CP.tar (5.0.1 Modem)
    3) N910TUVU2EPE3_N910TTMB2EPE3_N910TUVU2EPE3_HOME_AP. tar (6.0.1 Firmware Stock)
    4) N910TUVU2EPE3_CP.tar (6.0.1 Modem)

Instructions:

1)Place phone in DOWNLOAD MODE (volume down + home + power button)
    2) Open ODIN 3.09
    3) Place file N910TTMB1COD6_Modem_CP.tar in CP box
    4) Place file N910TUVU2EPE3_N910TTMB2EPE3_N910TUVU2EPE3_HOME_AP. tar in AP box
    5) Once ODIN is finished flashing the files power off your phone and go back into DOWNLOAD MODE
    6) Place file N910TUVU2EPE3_CP.tar in CP box
    7) Once the file is flashed your phone will be mmc error free and you will have a 100% working phone again.

If you're having any issues please let me know.
    In the US, Samsung is repairing out-of-warranty phones with EMMC errors for $70. Had mine fixed last week, it's behaving like a brand new phone. Call 1-800-SAMSUNG.
    My Note 4 was flashed to latest bone stock image and they still said "Beyond Economical Repair" So i guess it depends on the repair persons mood at the time he/she opens the box.

Whenever mine would not boot up a 5 min trip in the freezer allowed me to get it reloaded etc.

I just replaced the MB i got from Aliexpress for $35 plus $12 premium shipping it came to me in like 5 days UPS....i replaced the MB which is a bit of a pain vs. other Note.Galaxy phones ..........BUT........... I'm now trying a few roms before i set it all back up. Reboots perfectly fine now!!!
    I tried the freezer trick before the new battery. But I guess it's worth a try after the new battery. I'm just kind of fed up with the whole thing and chalked it up as a loss on my end. I had a friend's Note5 explode in his hand 1 day after being out of warranty and Samsung gave him a brand new S8 for free after threatening to sue and all of that. Maybe I could try something along those lines but mine didn't explode... yet. Lol. Thank you for the advise. I have tired flashing the device with stock firmware and stock bootloader just to get it back to a state it was before the update that caused the hardware malfunction but with no avail. I really did enjoy my Note4 a lot. :(
    To be clear - No software update caused the hardware Failure! The emmc Failure is undoubtedly a design Defect or a component Defect! Samsung should "own" this Failure!!

From Down the Rabbit Hole by:
    My SM-G930W8 ??
    I had same issues of random reboots freeze and lags . Few times I had to face mmc read failed.

So I flashed stock lollipop rom with bootloader and modem with proper pit file. Now so far so good everything is working fine didn't had any lags or reboots since last 4 5 days. mmc read failed error also disappeared.

Fingers crossed

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk