Problem with MMS being received over Wifi? Possible fix

Search This thread

Nerowoof

Jun 12, 2013
HI all and please forgive me if this has been covered, I did search!
I just jumped from the note 3 to note 4 and once again experienced the problem of mms messages being received over wifi. I could get them if i turned wifi off.
It appears that the Tmobile default APN has no port set for Multi media message port (at least mine didn't)
I created a new apn with all the default setting but added multi media message port 80 and it seems to have corrected the problem.

Im not rooted so no custom rom installed. (Yes, i had my note 3 rooted and was a rom freak :)

Please delete this if its covered somewhere else and accept my apologies.

I hope this can help some others out.

crackpot

Oct 25, 2009
SC
crackpot.ws
I just jumped from the note 3 to note 4 and once again experienced the problem of mms messages being received over wifi. I could get them if i turned wifi off.
It appears that the Tmobile default APN has no port set for Multi media message port (at least mine didn't)
I created a new apn with all the default setting but added multi media message port 80 and it seems to have corrected the problem.

Im not rooted so no custom rom installed. (Yes, i had my note 3 rooted and was a rom freak :)

Sweet lord baby Jesus, this worked! You, sir, are my new e-Hero!!!!

For the record I tested using Hangouts and I changed the APN settings in both the Hangouts app and Android itself. SM-N910T completely stock (unrooted).

Nerowoof

Jun 12, 2013

For the record I tested using Hangouts and I changed the APN settings in both the Hangouts app and Android itself. SM-N910T completely stock (unrooted).

YEAH! with all the help i have received from this forum im happy to help at least one person out!

LaDoyers

Nov 8, 2012
Success! Mms works over wifi calling on the inverted message app. Thanks a bunch!

thealbundy

Oct 11, 2014
This sounds very helpful could you post some pictures of how its supposed to look? I rarely do anything with the apn settings i usually wait for the flashable zip.

ear10

Oct 28, 2010

Can someone give us a play by play on how to do this?

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Free mobile app

LaDoyers

Nov 8, 2012
Just as the op instructed. Make an additional profile identical to the default. Then input "80" under "multimedia message port". Save and select the new profile.

Settings/more networks/mobile networks/apn

I took a screen shot of the default settings and used the pop up windows.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415289907101.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415289907101.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 5,415

inco9nito99

Jun 26, 2011
Chicago, IL
Would this also work on my wife's T-Mobile S5?

Also here it is (with the update for MMS over WiFi) broken down to help people visualize:

Name: T-Mobile US LTE
APN: fast.t-mobile.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
Multimedia message proxy: Not set
Multimedia message port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication type: None
APN type: default,mms,supl
APN protocol: IPv6
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
Mobile virtual network operator type: None
Mobile virtual network operator value: Not set

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

For hangouts I'm assuming you only inputted [name, mmsc,mms port, mcc,mnc]?

Last edited:

crackpot

Oct 25, 2009
SC
crackpot.ws

Also here it is (with the update for MMS over WiFi) broken down to help people visualize:

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

I don't really see why it wouldn't work on the S5, assuming it is afflicted by this same issue with MMS and WiFi. And yes that was all I put in inside of Hangouts itself.

Reactions: railslave

inco9nito99

Jun 26, 2011
Chicago, IL
Does WiFi calling have to be off? Just tested with my wife's s5 with the same settings, both on WiFi... MMS will not go through until WiFi is toggled off on both devices. Didn't try toggling WiFi Calling.

mgk

Jan 4, 2007
Lacey, WA
CHOMP

If you use Chomp for texting, go to Settings > SMS & MMS Settings > MMS Settings (Go here if MMS isn't working) > T-mobile WiFi calling fix and check it!

I needed it for SGS5 but haven't yet, for Note 4.

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY
If you use Chomp for texting, go to Settings > SMS & MMS Settings > MMS Settings (Go here if MMS isn't working) > T-mobile WiFi calling fix and check it!

Correct but if you on WiFi and WiFi calling is on that should not be checked off. If it is it will send thru TMOBILE data and not WiFi.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

WiFi over mms doesn't work with wifi calling right picture messages?
Yes it does

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

For anyone who doubt's it I made a video proof. I am using chomp with regular APN data off WiFi calling on as you will see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epzotrhwmvx1eh8/screen-recording_20141116-162216.mp4?dl=0

Reactions: racer83l

racer83l

Oct 22, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thank you for this. I feel like it should be a sticky and plastered all over t-mobiles site. I have had a Note 4 I purchased from T-Mobile a week ago and have been switching off WiFi to receive MMS messages. I'm thinking its imessages (I switched from iOS) but nope, its a T-Mobile issue. Happy this is solved I was almost regretting my decision to buy an android phone.

Love XDA and its members

Reactions: BACARDILIMON

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just as the op instructed. Make an additional profile identical to the default. Then input "80" under "multimedia message port". Save and select the new profile.

Settings/more networks/mobile networks/apn

I took a screen shot of the default settings and used the pop up windows.

I don't really see why it wouldn't work on the S5, assuming it is afflicted by this same issue with MMS and WiFi. And yes that was all I put in inside of Hangouts itself.

Correct but if you on WiFi and WiFi calling is on that should not be checked off. If it is it will send thru TMOBILE data and not WiFi.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

WiFi over mms doesn't work with wifi calling right picture messages?
    Yes it does

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

For anyone who doubt's it I made a video proof. I am using chomp with regular APN data off WiFi calling on as you will see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epzotrhwmvx1eh8/screen-recording_20141116-162216.mp4?dl=0