FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Firmware] [LP] [5.0.1] [RetEd/DevEd] Safe Upgrade to Lollipop [N910VVRU2BOG5]

3,930 posts
Thanks Meter: 22,664

By hsbadr, Inactive Recognized Developer on 13th August 2015, 09:46 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is a Safe Upgrade to the latest Lollipop firmware (N910VVRU2BOG5) for VZW Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910V), both Retail & Developer Editions.
What do you mean by "Safe Upgrade"?
Quote:

The latest N910VVRU2BOG5 bootloader is incremented; i.e., if you take the OTA or flash the official firmware via Odin, you won't be able to downgrade.

Quote:

For Retail Edition: This is very important if you want to gain ROOT access when available & keep it over OTAs then.

For Developer Edition: If the bootloader is incremented with any coming OTA, it'll block your unlocked bootloader for good & you'll end up with a Retail Edition.

Check this thread for more details!

Safe upgrade allows you to downgrade to any previous firmware (KK or LP)...

★ Disclaimer:
THIS SERVICE IS FREE OF CHARGE, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT !

Instructions:
Quote:

Quote:

• Extract the N910VVRU2BOG5_StockRestore.tar.md5 file using 7-Zip
  • Extract Odin v3.10.7 & open it
  • Reboot to Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down)
  • Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
  • Add the N910VVRU2BOG5_StockRestore.tar.md5 file to AP / PDA
  • Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
  • Click the start button, sit back & wait a few minutes
  • Reboot into recovery (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Up)
  • Wipe data (Factory Reset)
  • Reboot to system
Special Instructions:

Downloads:
Quote:

N910VVZW2BOG5 Stock Restore: N910VVRU2BOG5_StockRestore.tar.md5.7z
md5: 779b5801b9a7dccd51c0b7782d37fc21

N910VVRU1BOAF Bootloaders (RetEd ONLY): N910VVRU1BOAF_Bootloaders.tar.md5.7z
md5: deeef3cde3941572b036c0f6ea6e92b3

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N910VVRU2BOG5.png
Views:	3098
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	3438199  
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to hsbadr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hsbadr Ad-Free

13th August 2015, 10:16 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 823

More
Thanks..hsbadr BTW do you have the developer edition of the note 4?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
13th August 2015, 10:29 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2,241

Donate to Me
More
Wow, you really turn this stuff over quick! I looked at your post while clocking out from work at 4:30, you said you were still downloading it. I just got home at 5:30, and you have a new thread, and links/upload already finished! WOW!

EDIT: Seems you have yet to finish uploading the BOG5 tar. Patiently (kind of) waiting at my computer. lol Im going to need a new F5 button before long!
13th August 2015, 11:11 PM |#4  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_718

Thanks..hsbadr BTW do you have the developer edition of the note 4?

Yup. It's the best device available considering Note 5 as a downgrade except for the design that most users cover with a case anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevycam94

Wow, you really turn this stuff over quick! I looked at your post while clocking out from work at 4:30, you said you were still downloading it. I just got home at 5:30, and you have a new thread, and links/upload already finished! WOW!

Available for download...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hsbadr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hsbadr Ad-Free
14th August 2015, 01:06 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Under special instructions, it says to flash the OAF bootloader if coming from Kit Kat (I'm on NJ5). When are we supposed to do this? After we flash the OG5 stockrestore and reboot?

14th August 2015, 01:23 AM |#6  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub2pt0

Under special instructions, it says to flash the OAF bootloader if coming from Kit Kat (I'm on NJ5). When are we supposed to do this? After we flash the OG5 stockrestore and reboot?

1st, that'sonly for the retail edition. Then, you can do it anytime to fix the auto-brightness issues with KK bootloader. That being said, it's recommended to flash OG5 stock restore & reboot again to download mode to flash OAF bootloader, before the 1st boot.
The Following User Says Thank You to hsbadr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hsbadr Ad-Free
14th August 2015, 01:25 AM |#7  

More
Okay that's what I was going to do. So I'd be fine to stay on my current bootloader if I don't care about the auto brightness?

14th August 2015, 01:33 AM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub2pt0

Okay that's what I was going to do. So I'd be fine to stay on my current bootloader if I don't care about the auto brightness?

Yes, but why?
14th August 2015, 01:37 AM |#9  

More
I guess as long as it is still able to be downgraded, it doesn't matter. It's not like the new one would help me in any way though.

14th August 2015, 02:01 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2,241

Donate to Me
More
For some reason I thought that flashing the BOG5 upgrade would wipe the whole phone and reset me to a literal "factory fresh" state. But apparently, it left EVERYTHING in tact, but DID still do the upgrade. I wanted to start fresh so I could go back to a clean system and start over. So I had to do a factory reset. No biggie. Just wanted a clean slate. Looks like Im back up and running smooth. I was on BOAF bootloader already, so I didnt flash the bootloader again this time. I should still be good, right? Havent checked the bootloader post-flash yet.

Also @hsbadr, do you mind if I mirror your Safe Upgrade files on my website/server? Always ask before I do anything. Links to my site in my signature. Also, I can include any direct links back here, or two another location of your choosing. All proper credits given.
14th August 2015, 02:13 AM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevycam94

For some reason I thought that flashing the BOG5 upgrade would wipe the whole phone and reset me to a literal "factory fresh" state. But apparently, it left EVERYTHING in tact, but DID still do the upgrade. I wanted to start fresh so I could go back to a clean system and start over. So I had to do a factory reset. No biggie. Just wanted a clean slate. Looks like Im back up and running smooth. I was on BOAF bootloader already, so I didnt flash the bootloader again this time. I should still be good, right? Havent checked the bootloader post-flash yet.

Also @hsbadr, do you mind if I mirror your Safe Upgrade files on my website/server? Always ask before I do anything. Links to my site in my signature. Also, I can include any direct links back here, or two another location of your choosing. All proper credits given.

NP! If you followed OP instructions, you'll wipe data (factory reset) in recovery, before 1st boot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hsbadr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hsbadr Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)