[Kernel] OscarKernel [TW/6.0.1] [OC 2.8 GHz] [8/26/2016] [r13]

Search This thread

ryanbg

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2008
movr0.com
What is OscarKernel?
OscarKernel is a modified kernel based off of the stock kernel. It only runs on TouchWiz 6.0.1 ROMs for the Verizon Note 4. This kernel is built from stock CPD1 source. I keep my kernel very stable and simple, no flash and glitz, just a reliable and fast experience with some modern enhancements.
What toolchain do you use?
Christopher83's optimized Cortex-A15 Linaro 4.9 toolchain.
You can find it here

What features are in OscarKernel?
Code:
Rebased on latest VZW MM source
USB Fast Charge
BFQ/FIOPS/ZEN IO Schedulers
MSM Hotplug
Undervolting support
Overclocked to 2.8 GHz
Yankactive/Nightmare/Zzmoove
Minor bugfixes

Where can I find the source/changelog?
My github repo is here

Who contributed to this project?
@kairi_zeroblade
Pafcholini
imoseyon
placiano
faux123
franciscofranco
flar2
myfluxi
alucard_24

Numerous other developers who I will add here as soon as possible. Should you feel you belong here, PM me and I'll happily add you to the OP.

How do I flash this kernel?
Simply copy the zip to your device or MicroSD, and install using TWRP.

Downloads:
v1.3 Download

Additional information:
Q: My phone won't remember my Wifi passwords, what's wrong?
A: You need to modify /system/build.prop to change this line:
Code:
ro.secure_storage=true
to:
Code:
ro.secure_storage=false

Have a bug report to make?
I need to see the kernel log. To get a copy of your kernel log, follow these instructions using ADB:
Code:
adb shell
su
cat /proc/kmsg > /sdcard/log.txt

Other questions?
Post them in the thread. Please do not clutter this thread with easily-answered questions or feature suggestions. This my personal kernel that I am sharing.

Last edited:

SlothlyDX

May 14, 2012
Los Angeles
Thank you for this. I like the exceed kernel but wanted more gov options. This is perfect. I will test and let you know how it goes. I also found that intelliactivex is a great gov but I'm excited to try these

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

EdrickMG

Jul 31, 2014
I have viper4anfroid and dolby mods, do you believe use this kernel could cause a problem? I'm asking because in xceed was harmful run both

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note5 using XDA Labs

thetrangdam

Mar 31, 2016
I'm using Jasmine 4.3 but I was stuck in a bootloop (Galaxy Note 4 screen) after flashing the kernel.
So I had to flash MultiSystem kernel again ^^

Reactions: EdrickMG

SlothlyDX

May 14, 2012
Los Angeles

thetrangdam

Mar 31, 2016
Did you guys wipe cache and dalvik after flashing the kernel? I'm in paulpizz with no issues.

Yes, I did wipe cache and dalvik after flasing though. :p
Maybe I will try it again.
Currently I'm on stock rooted & emotion, I wonder if this kernel help me get more battery life...

EdrickMG

Jul 31, 2014
Same here on Dr. Ketan

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Kyubi is 5.5.1

Yes, here are my details

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Yes, here are my details

[
270e62eec9e4e78e56caaf96d7c84cfb.jpg

Sent from Kyubi ROM port Note 5, Multi system kernel, viper4android dolby atmos sound blaster

bobloblaw1

May 25, 2010
Kernel is working well so far on PaulPizz with BPA1 firmware.

The only issue I'm having is unvervolting won't apply and throws the error: /res/synapse/actions//ovuv[1]: can't create /sys/kernel/krait_uv_info/krait_UV/: No such file or directory.

I can't manually create these directories either. Is this due to the kernel currently being set to SELinux enforcing?

Thanks again! It's working well, I'd just like to see if I could get it to run a touch cooler.

cleopete

Sep 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Same here in kyubi port

I had the problem with Jasmine on Xceed. I wonder if it isn't the radio? I didn't want to lose BPA1 which was a huge performance improvement over 5.0.1, so I never loaded the BOK3 baseband. (which is also 5.1.1, so that is kind of a dumb reason I guess, never mind).

Last edited:

mexigga

May 9, 2007
Los Angeles
Just installed...no issues on PaulPizz rom.

Governor by default is interactive...not sure which is best just yet.

Am open to suggestions!

Last edited:

joemill

Hello @ryanbg. I'm so happy to see more developer's working on our n910v! I've been using Xceed kernel since build 2 for a while now on my n910v dev edition running jasmine rom 4.3.
Xceed Build 2 had the brightness bug (because I'm still on the 4.4 kit kat bootloader) @kairi_zeroblade fixed that in his build 3 vzw. The only issue I saw was a delay in opening the camera in any app and switching between the front and rear camera.
Just tried to install your Oscar kernel build .1 and got stuck on the samsung note 4 boot screen (says kernel in yellow font in top left) then reboots to same screen after about 10 seconds repeatedly.
I'm guessing this is because I'm still on the 4.4 bootloader. Is there a way to update that to the most current 5.1 one and keep root and the bootloader unlocked?

Sent from my SM-N910V using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: EdrickMG

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is OscarKernel?
    OscarKernel is a modified kernel based off of the stock kernel. It only runs on TouchWiz 6.0.1 ROMs for the Verizon Note 4. This kernel is built from stock CPD1 source. I keep my kernel very stable and simple, no flash and glitz, just a reliable and fast experience with some modern enhancements.
    What toolchain do you use?
    Christopher83's optimized Cortex-A15 Linaro 4.9 toolchain.
    You can find it here

What features are in OscarKernel?
    Code:
    Rebased on latest VZW MM source
    USB Fast Charge
    BFQ/FIOPS/ZEN IO Schedulers
    MSM Hotplug
    Undervolting support
    Overclocked to 2.8 GHz
    Yankactive/Nightmare/Zzmoove
    Minor bugfixes

Where can I find the source/changelog?
    My github repo is here

Who contributed to this project?
    @kairi_zeroblade
    Pafcholini
    imoseyon
    placiano
    faux123
    franciscofranco
    flar2
    myfluxi
    alucard_24

Numerous other developers who I will add here as soon as possible. Should you feel you belong here, PM me and I'll happily add you to the OP.

How do I flash this kernel?
    Simply copy the zip to your device or MicroSD, and install using TWRP.

Downloads:
    v1.3 Download

Additional information:
    Q: My phone won't remember my Wifi passwords, what's wrong?
    A: You need to modify /system/build.prop to change this line:
    Code:
    ro.secure_storage=true
    to:
    Code:
    ro.secure_storage=false

Have a bug report to make?
    I need to see the kernel log. To get a copy of your kernel log, follow these instructions using ADB:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    cat /proc/kmsg > /sdcard/log.txt

Other questions?
    Post them in the thread. Please do not clutter this thread with easily-answered questions or feature suggestions. This my personal kernel that I am sharing.
    New kernel in OP for TW 6.0.1 on N910V. New features include ZEN IO scheduler, MSM Hotplug, undervolting support, and a few other bug fixes and minor tweaks. Currently interested in looking for some proven, reliable, and efficient governors.
    New update to r9 guys. This one is probably my favorite build so far. I started fresh from r8 and removed all the stuff I was testing in r9 beta. This build updates the thermal driver and yankactive to make it a little more responsive and fluid. Download in OP, enjoy! As always, feedback is appreciated.
    So for best battery life would you recommend nightmare gov with msm hotplug? I also have the fiops i/o scheduler. Thanks in advance.

Personally I am testing out Nightmare and I use MSM Hotplug with BFQ IO scheduler. Yankactive is pretty good with battery, but Nightmare gives a little more fluidity which I like. FIOPS is a good IO scheduler too. Play around and see what works best for you.
    I'm having trouble getting Oscar v9 to work. I have succesfully got it to work with Grace7, but no other ROM. I installed Jasmine v7, which booted fine. I installed Oscar v9 over top of it, and it hangs at boot. CM 13 will flip out and the boot animation will pulsate like a strobe light. PP just sits at the initial boot up screen. What is the exact process for applying this kernel? What am I doing wrong?

Update: PP booted with Oscar v9, but I prefer Jasmine to PP. Are they compatable?

It is a stock rom kernel. Not AOSP. You need an AOSP specific kernel to flash with CM13. This will not work.

Sloth is correct. This kernel only supports TouchWiz/Stock. Jasmine is highly modified by hsbadr and customized for his kernel, so it's hit or miss with Jasmine. PaulPizz should be 100% compatible.

Unrelated side-note: I've updated OP with v1.0. This build brings FULL support for F2FS in kernel and ramdisk properly patched. F2FS should actually work now with Note 4, I haven't really seen any other developers fix this issue yet, but tested and running f2fs on /data and /cache on my device.