[Guide] A noob's guide to Perm Root & TWRP on Verizon Note 4 Retail 5.1.1 (BPA1)

Search This thread
Apr 17, 2016
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 – Verizon Wireless – Permanent Root Guide

Disclaimer: I am not 100% sure on what everything here does. These are just a reproduction of the exact steps, files, and programs I used to achieve successful permanent root on my Verizon Note 4 running 5.1.1 (Build Version: BPA1).

I collected all the apps, files, and this guide into one location. You can source these files yourself or you can use the ones I included.

Download Guide & ALL Required Files

• Google Drive

Required Files & Programs
    • Included in download
    • ADB – minimal_adb_fastboot_v1.3.1_setup.exe
    • Odin – Odin3 v3.09.exe & Odin3.ini
    • Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers (Windows Only) – SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe
    • TWRP – twrp-3.0.2-0-trltevzw.tar.md5
    • SuperSU – BETA-SuperSU-v2.71-20160331103524.zip
    • Bootloader Unlock – samsung_unlock_n4-fix
    • Kingroot (Temporary Root App) - NewKingrootV4.85_C139_B255_en_release_2016_03_29_105203.apk

Not included in download. These files/programs you must find and download.
    Required Tools/Parts/Devices
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on Verizon updated to 5.1.1 (BPA1)
    • PC with Windows
    • Micro USB Cable
    • MicroSD Card
    • MicroSD Card Reader/USB Adapter (To Format MicroSD Card)

Step 0: Install Note 4 USB Drivers
    If you haven’t done this before at some point it’s as simple as opening the Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers included with this guide.

Step 1: Backup All The Things!

Backup anything that is important to you. You should regularly be doing this anyway.

If you use Two Factor Authentication such as Google Authenticator or Lastpass’ Authenticator I highly suggest you disable this before proceeding as we will be factory resetting your device potentially locking you out of some accounts or making them significantly more difficult to recover access too.

Step 1.5: Disable Encryption

Disable both device and sd card encryption.

Step 2: Factory Reset
    Factory Reset your phone and format the sd card.

Step 3: Preparing The Device
    Follow the directions below to navigate your device’s settings’ menus to change the required settings.
    Settings > Security > Reactivation Lock | Disabled! This is very important!
    Settings > Security > Unknown sources | Enabled
    Settings > Developer Options > USB debugging | Enabled
    Settings > Developer Options > Verify app via USB | Enabled
    Move the file NewKingrootV4.85_C139_B255_en_release_2016_03_29_105203.apk included with this guide to your phone’s download folder. When plugged in with a usb cable to your computer it’s usually located at “SAMSUNG-SM-N910V\Phone\Download”.

Step 4: Preparing Your PC
    Run minimal_adb_fastboot_v1.3.1_setup.exe included with this guide.
    Pay attention to what directory this installs to. It’s usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot.

Step 4.1: Copying Files
    samsung_unlock_n4-fix & BETA-SuperSU-v2.71-20160331103524.zip included with this guide need to be copied (the actual files, don’t create shortcuts) to the install folder for ADB (Usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot.). These files must be in the same folder as adb.exe

Step 5: ADB & The Unlocker
    Your phone should have been connected already with a usb cable to your computer. We need to verify your phone is found by adb. Open adb.exe located in the folder from Step 4. Once the window (cmd.exe) opens a command line interface saying

Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>
    Type in the following command: adb devices

Which should return the following
    Code:
    List of devices attached
    123a12ab        device
    The 123a12ab is made up. Yours will be specific to your device. If you see something listed like the above adb is working. Now on to the next command to move the unlocker to the phone.

Step 5.1: Send Unlocker to Phone with adb
    Type the following command: adb push samsung_unlock_n4-fix /data/local/tmp/

If you get an error it’s because you a) typo b) file isn’t in the folder with adb.exe c) your phone is locked/screen is off d) usb debugging isn’t turned on in settings > developer options.

Step 6: Kingroot For Temp Root

Keep the adb window accessible you will need to be able to switch to it and enter in the commands below quickly as temp root is unstable. Be ready to copy or type them quickly.

On your phone open the app My Files. Click on Device storage > Download > NewKingrootV4.85_C139_B255_en_release_2016_03_29_105203.apk to install Kingroot. After it installs click close, not open. Close all running apps.

Step 6.5: Work Quick With Precision
    Open Root Checker so it’s ready to go. Don’t Check yet. Hit the home button and then open Kingroot. In Kingroot scroll down and click the button to start temp root. If you don’t see root successful after a minute or two or four you may need to restart your phone and repeat the process of opening root checker and then Kingroot.

Once you do see successful root click the multi tasking button on the phone to switch over to root checker. Temp root is buggy and may crash. If it does repeat this process again with getting temp root and opening the apps in the correct order.
    If you make it into root checker via the multi tasking button it will ask you to grant it root access, click yes, check for root. If it says you have root go to the adb window and type these comamnds in quickly before temp root causes your phone to crash.

adb shell
    su
    cd /data/local/tmp/
    chmod 777 samsung_unlock_n4-fix
    chown root.root samsung_unlock_n4-fix
    ./samsung_unlock_n4-fix

The device will reboot. After reboot, shut the phone down by removing only the battery and usb cable.

Step 7: One More Time
    Put the battery and cable back in and turn the phone back on. Now repeat Step 5 & 6.5 but skip Step 5.1 and Step 6. After you send the last adb command and it reboots again pull the battery, sd card, and usb cable. Keep the sd card out! Until you plug it into your computer and format it. It doesn’t matter when you format it if it’s not reporting the correct size. This will be fixed by putting it back into your phone AFTER you format it on your pc and formatting it on the phone.

Step 8: Temp Root A Third Time
    If it isn’t already installed go ahead and install Super-Sume Pro.
    Close all apps.
    Open Super-Sume Pro, click the home button, and open Kingroot.
    In Kingroot apply temp root. Click the multi tasking button and switch over to Super-Sume Pro. When it asks for Root grant it. Click the big blue button and follow the instructions. It may take a minute or two. Shut the phone down after it’s done.

Step 9: Odin
    Turn the phone on and enter download mode by pressing and holding volume down + power + home. When it’s comes to the screen and says “Downloading” you’re ready to proceed. Open the file included with this guide Odin3 v3.09.exe. In Odin3 where it says Files [Download] click AP and navigate to the folder with this guide and select/open the file twrp-3.0.2-0-trltevzw.tar.md5 and then click Start. Once it finishes it will enter a black screen to reboot. Press and hold these buttons immediately to enter TWRP , volume up + power + home.

Step 10: TWRP & ADB Sideloading
    Swipe to allow changes in TWRP. Click Advanced and then ADB Sideload. Swipe to start adb. On your computer open adb.exe from Step 4. On the command line interface in adb.exe
    Type the following command: adb devices
    Verify your device is there and says sideload.
    Type the following command: adb sideload BETA-SuperSU-v2.71-20160331103524.zip
    The phone will install Super SU, after it is finished we will install the new Kernel before rebooting.
    You may need to re-enter ADB Sideload on the phone.
    Type the following command: adb sideload Emotion-TW-5.1.1-nightly-r21-RC1-SM-N910P.zip
    Reboot the phone.

If boots into 5.1.1 open root checker and verify you have root.

Information Sources: felixtaf, ryanbg, kingroot, twrp, emotion, ibowtoandroid, shimp208, & urgodfather

I also posted this on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxynote4/comments/4f8cgc/guide_a_noobs_guide_to_permanent_rootunlocked/

Last edited:

Hyperdimensionalist

Jan 11, 2016
Thank you for posting this so clearly! Would Samsung "smart switch" be a viable tool to use for backing up all my apps/app data, home screen setup, etc. before rooting, and still work to import the data after rooting?

KingVekxin

Sep 12, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
It's missing kernel part

Enviado desde mi SM-N910V mediante Tapatalk
That kernel flash is optional from what I've seen. That's just what people have been wanting on their phones

Disclaimer: I am not 100% sure on what everything here does. These are just a reproduction of the exact steps, files, and programs I used to achieve successful permanent root on my Verizon Note 4 running 5.1.1 (Build Version: BPA1).

I collected all the apps, files, and this guide into one location. You can source these files yourself or you can use the ones I included.

Torrent is hosted on 10gbit/s seedbox.

• Included in download
  • Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers (Windows Only) – SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones.exe
  • Kingroot (Temporary Root App) - NewKingrootV4.85_C139_B255_en_release_2016_03_29_105203.apk

• PC with Windows
  • Micro USB Cable
  • MicroSD Card

If you haven’t done this before at some point it’s as simple as opening the Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers included with this guide.

Backup anything that is important to you. You should regularly be doing this anyway.

If you use Two Factor Authentication such as Google Authenticator or Lastpass’ Authenticator I highly suggest you disable this before proceeding as we will be factory resetting your device potentially locking you out of some accounts or making them significantly more difficult to recover access too.

Follow the directions below to navigate your device’s settings’ menus to change the required settings.
Move the file NewKingrootV4.85_C139_B255_en_release_2016_03_29_105203.apk included with this guide to your phone’s download folder. When plugged in with a usb cable to your computer it’s usually located at “SAMSUNG-SM-N910V\Phone\Download”.

Pay attention to what directory this installs to. It’s usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot.

samsung_unlock_n4-fix & BETA-SuperSU-v2.71-20160331103524.zip included with this guide need to be copied (the actual files, don’t create shortcuts) to the install folder for ADB (Usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot.). These files must be in the same folder as adb.exe

Your phone should have been connected already with a usb cable to your computer. We need to verify your phone is found by adb. Open adb.exe located in the folder from Step 4. Once the window (cmd.exe) opens a command line interface saying

Code:

Code:
List of devices attached
123a12ab        device
The 123a12ab is made up. Yours will be specific to your device. If you see something listed like the above adb is working. Now on to the next command to move the unlocker to the phone.

If you get an error it’s because you a) typo b) file isn’t in the folder with adb.exe c) your phone is locked/screen is off d) usb debugging isn’t turned on in settings > developer options.

Keep the adb window accessible you will need to be able to switch to it and enter in the commands below quickly as temp root is unstable. Be ready to copy or type them quickly.

On your phone open the app My Files. Click on Device storage > Download > NewKingrootV4.85_C139_B255_en_release_2016_03_29_105203.apk to install Kingroot. After it installs click close, not open. Close all running apps.

Open Root Checker so it’s ready to go. Don’t Check yet. Hit the home button and then open Kingroot. In Kingroot scroll down and click the button to start temp root. If you don’t see root successful after a minute or two or four you may need to restart your phone and repeat the process of opening root checker and then Kingroot.

Once you do see successful root click the multi tasking button on the phone to switch over to root checker. Temp root is buggy and may crash. If it does repeat this process again with getting temp root and opening the apps in the correct order.
If you make it into root checker via the multi tasking button it will ask you to grant it root access, click yes, check for root. If it says you have root go to the adb window and type these comamnds in quickly before temp root causes your phone to crash.

adb shell
su
cd /data/local/tmp/
./samsung_unlock_n4-fix

The device will reboot. After reboot, shut the phone down by removing only the battery and usb cable.

Put the battery and cable back in and turn the phone back on. Now repeat Step 5 & 6.5 but skip Step 5.1 and Step 6. After you send the last adb command and it reboots again pull the battery, sd card, and usb cable. Keep the sd card out! Until you plug it into your computer and format it. It doesn’t matter when you format it if it’s not reporting the correct size. This will be fixed by putting it back into your phone AFTER you format it on your pc and formatting it on the phone.

Close all apps.
In Kingroot apply temp root. Click the multi tasking button and switch over to Super-Sume Pro. When it asks for Root grant it. Click the big blue button and follow the instructions. It may take a minute or two. Shut the phone down after it’s done.

Turn the phone on and enter download mode by pressing and holding volume down + power + home. When it’s comes to the screen and says “Downloading” you’re ready to proceed. Open the file included with this guide Odin3 v3.09.exe. In Odin3 where it says Files [Download] click AP and navigate to the folder with this guide and select/open the file twrp-3.0.2-0-trltevzw.tar.md5 and then click Start. Once it finishes it will enter a black screen to reboot. Press and hold these buttons immediately to enter TWRP , volume up + power + home.

Swipe to allow changes in TWRP. Click Advanced and then ADB Sideload. Swipe to start adb. On your computer open adb.exe from Step 4. On the command line interface in adb.exe
The phone will install Super SU, after it is finished we will install the new Kernel before rebooting.
Type the following command: adb sideload Emotion-TW-5.1.1-nightly-r21-RC1-SM-N910P.zip
Reboot the phone.

Information Sources: felixtaf, ryanbg, kingroot, twrp, emotion, ibowtoandroid, shimp208, & urgodfather

I also posted this on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxynote4/comments/4f8cgc/guide_a_noobs_guide_to_permanent_rootunlocked/

Sent from my SM-N910V using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: jjdogg7
Apr 17, 2016
It's missing kernel part

Thank you for posting this so clearly! Would Samsung "smart switch" be a viable tool to use for backing up all my apps/app data, home screen setup, etc. before rooting, and still work to import the data after rooting?

I have not used it. What I did was find every export settings/backup option in apps like nova launcher. I wrote down one time passwords for eligible accounts or disabled 2 factor Auth temporarily. I copied my SD card to my computer, along with all the files in the folders Downloads, Media, DCIM, etc. I exported my contacts and copied the file to my pc. I didn't care about any saved games so I can't help you there. Some people have success with Helium for back ups. Using the pc backup option.

Apr 17, 2016
You shouldn't need to do SuperSuMe. You can use Kingroot for the whole shebang. Also, you will need a kernel for 5.1.x roms otherwise it will bootloop at the Verizon logo.

The kernel is included. See comment below from the guy who said I didn't include it.

I heard kingroot sends data to China. So I don't want it on my phone longer than needed.

Yes you are right I thought u missed it and it's very important... Disregard my previous comment

Reactions: greatdaneduke

mta1981

Jun 24, 2010
isnt kingroot deleted once you do a full wipe before installing a custom rom via twrp?

djquestt

Oct 24, 2009

• Included in download

• PC with Windows
  • Micro USB Cable
  • MicroSD Card

Code:

Code:
List of devices attached
123a12ab        device

adb shell
su
cd /data/local/tmp/
./samsung_unlock_n4-fix

Close all apps.

Reboot the phone.

Just wanted to say thank you for compiling everything you rock

homephysician

Sep 2, 2010
PELL CITY
Hey thanks to all devs for all that is being done to make our n4 more lovable. I have everything set up per op. ADB sees my phone and I am able to get root. I enter all the lines of the code and get positive response on all till I get to chmod 777 samsung_unlock_n4-fix. It is in my minimal adb and fastboot folder. It is also unzipped. It all works up to there. Also have drivers installed. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MrMeek

Dec 23, 2014
having an issue after the command lines, saying this is for some samsung devices only?.....anyone know the fix for this ?

felixtaf

• Included in download

• PC with Windows
  • Micro USB Cable
  • MicroSD Card

Code:

Code:
List of devices attached
123a12ab        device

adb shell
su
cd /data/local/tmp/
./samsung_unlock_n4-fix

Close all apps.

Reboot the phone.

Good one mate...
You can also flash MultiSystem-Kernel_LP-5.1.1 by @hsbadr instead of emotion kernel!
Its SE Permissive and wont show, "Seandroid is not selinux enforcing" error during boot and very snappy!
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24415232478676428

stajam

Sep 22, 2013
St Louis
Yes this is a very good write-up of instructions. But I too, think the flashing the kernel is worth mentioning, considering I went through all this and ended up boot looping because I did not have the kernel, ended up doing it all over again, but a lot smarter the second time around.

?If someone helps you, plz thank them?
Sent from my Tab S SM-T700

thewalrusking

Feb 12, 2009

Close all apps.

My Super-Sume Pro is stuck on the beginning of Step 2. Is this necessary to run or can I skip out on it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

• Google Drive

• Included in download

• PC with Windows
      • Micro USB Cable
      • MicroSD Card

Code:

Code:
      List of devices attached
      123a12ab        device

adb shell
      su
      cd /data/local/tmp/
      ./samsung_unlock_n4-fix

Close all apps.

Reboot the phone.

I am about to pull my hair out with this damn microsd problem. I got it all rooted and twrp on but cannot get the damn su to sideload or copy the rom to sd because it never recognizes the microsd properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Put the SD card in an adapter and do the following on your computer:

Diskpart
    List disk
    Select disk X
    Clean

X is your SD card. These commands will return your SD card to a raw unformatted SD card.

As far as sideloading anything, what I did was installed the CF Auto root that is available on Chainfire site for the developer edition of the note 4. It says it's only for 4.4.4, but it works for 5.1.1. You will then have a fully rooted stock version.

I can't post links because I'm too new. If 10 people would like to hit thank on this post and I can start posting links and pictures. LOL
    Is there a totally free method or do you need the 3.99 Supersume?

You don't have to use SuperSU Me at all, but there is a potential major caveat: Once you achieve temporary root with KingRoot, SuperSU Me Pro will replace the KingRoot superuser manager with SuperSU. Anyone here may feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but, as I understand it, the suspicion is that KingRoot is actually a sort of virus that sends personal data back to its creators, presumably somewhere in China. If, once you are rooted, you intend to replace your ROM with CyanogenMod, PaulPizz, or something else, then this would likely overwrite the KingRoot components, so you probably needn't worry about it. On the other hand, if you intend to remain stock rooted, you might want to go ahead and spend the paltry sum of $3.99 for SuperSU Me Pro as cheap insurance.

Something else to keep in mind is that @gatesjunior invested countless hours and provided constant support to the Note 4 community in creating and supporting SuperSU Me which, initially, was directed at fighting to keep the temporary root alive as long as possible. His efforts were of great service to all of us and, since he doesn't technically qualify for the root bounty, I would consider it quite prudent to reward his invaluable efforts with a donation by purchasing his most excellent product.
    I knkw thus process worked for OP, but it's a bit convoluted and redundant in some points. A few tips:

1. If (when) you bootloop after second time running the unlock commands, take out the SD card.
    2. There is no need to run King root a third time or supersume. In fact, due to questions about king root, I'd recommend that once you verify bootloader unlock and developer mode you flash TWRP and fully wipe the device through TWRP. After wipe, just flash Supersu through TWRP since that package will root bootloader unlocked devices anyway.

Bonus hint: use two sd cards. Save the one that gets formatted in a safe place. Copy the supersu package, kernel, and/or rom you wish to use to the non-formatted card ahead of time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using XDA-Developers mobile app
    get familiar with the search function bro. the process of rooting, unlocking, and installing a rom is complicated and time consuming. you'll have a lot of questions, undoubtedly. there are a bunch of threads that have all the files and info you need, and they're all near the top of the forums. let me know if you can't find it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Thanks, that's what I did and appreciate the offer for help. I've already rooted it now :) I ended up creating an entire written tutorial filling in the missed steps many others had, a list to additional information and links and an updated list of all the applications and files need since many were out of date and/or had broken download links. You can view my updated guide with current files here: http://xdaforums.com/note-4-verizon/general/easy-guide-how-to-root-verizon-galaxy-t3454593

Also to anyone who stumbles upon this. Here is the link to ALL versions of firmware so you can use Odin3 to flash to 5.1.1 if you need too: http://xdaforums.com/note-4-verizon/development/firmware-firmware-kernel-modem-recovery-t2942937

Also to save you the time of having to google, this is the link to get the "System Only" version of 5.1.1 for the N910V which you'll need to keep root AND twrp (make sure you install oscar_kernalv0.2 and super_su too): http://server14.stockroms.net/download/GalaxyNote4/SM-N910V/systemonly/systemonlyN910V-5.1.1.tar?token=139164672 Just a heads up, you only flash this last link AFTER you've finished installing TWRP.

The first link is for the "stock firmware" (with instructions) so you can begin the root process. The second link is for the "system only firmware" which you'll need to still have a vanilla 5.1.1 but keep root and TWRP.