FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOWTO] Converting your Retail Note 4 to a Developer Edition Note 4

302 posts
Thanks Meter: 107

By chriskader, Senior Member on 14th April 2016, 11:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This guide will walk you through the process of converting your Retail Note 4 to a Developer Edition Note 4. This means you have an unlocked boot loader and you are free to do what you wish with your device.

Requirements:
  1. Retail Note 4 (Verizon)
  2. Computer (PC, Linux or Window)
  3. USB Cable
  4. Samsung USB Drivers (If you are on Windows)
  5. SD Card (Recommend a small one that you do not mind storing away for later)
  6. ADB (Android Debug Bridge)
  7. Root (Either Temp or Perm, that will not be explained here)
  8. Samsung Unlock file (Creators Thread)

Steps:

- Verify you have an ADB connection to your device and you have root.
Connect your phone and launch ADB in either command prompt or terminal (Depending on your OS).
Type the following command to view the currently connected devices:
Code:
adb devices
You should see a list of devices. If not, verify USB Debug Mode is enabled on your phone.

-Copying the unlock file to your phone
After you have downloaded the file from ryanbg's thread (samsung_unlock_n4-2) we need to copy it to the device. You will want to make sure your current directory is the directory that the file you downloaded is in.
Time to push the file to the phone, run the below command:
Code:
adb push samsung_unlock_n4-2 /data/local/tmp/
-Connect to your phone
Type the following command:
Code:
adb shell
You are now in in a shell through ADB on your phone.
Elevate your permissions by entering:
Code:
su
You may get a confirmation on your phone for requesting root access. Be sure to grant ADB permission.

-Change Directory
Go to the directory we copied our files to
Code:
cd /data/local/tmp/
-CHMOD and CHOWN the unlock file
This allows us to actually execute the file. Execute the below commands
Code:
chmod 777 samsung_unlock_n4-2
Code:
chown root.root samsung_unlock_n4-2
-Time to execute
Running the below command will generate a warning and a requirement to enter yes or no. Read the warning carefully before continuing:
Code:
./samsung_unlock_n4-2
At this point you will see a few thing similar to this:
Code:
[+] CID at boot time is/was: 1501xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[+] device not yet dev CID, now changing to dev CID
[+] programming new CID 150100523231384d4100657e54fc1200
[+] success! powering off device, power back on and verify CID
[+] then run this binary again to finish the process
As binary states, your phone CID is changing is going to reboot.

Before turning your phone back on, be sure the SD card you are okay with formatting is inserted into the phone.

Once your phone comes back online, launch terminal, ADB shell, obtain root access, and change directories. Now launch the unlock binary again:

Code:
./samsung_unlock_n4-2
You will see the same warning and you will need to enter yes or no again. Once you enter yes, you should see something like this.

Code:
[+] CID at boot time is/was: 150100523231384d4100657e54fc1200
[+] dev CID matching, proceding to unlock
[+] backing up loaders, this will take a few minutes
[+] loaders successfully backed up
[+] success! powering off device, hopefully its not bricked!
Keep the SD card in a safe place. If for some reason you ever break your phone, you can possibly use the loaders on this card to fix it.

Power your phone up in download mode (VOL-DOWN + HOME + POWER). Your phone should now show Developer mode. If this is not the case, you either did something wrong or your phone is not a Verizon Note 4
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to chriskader For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chriskader Ad-Free

14th April 2016, 11:43 PM |#2  
Flag Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks Meter: 254

More
i can say it is really appreciated that we have this ability but this blunt "we wont tell you how to at least temp root it" thing is kind of messed up because a lot of people have no idea where to go to find the right temp root for this phone. We have always needed root yet now we have unlocked bootloader which again is appreciated, but a little help with the latter would be nice.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KingVekxin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KingVekxin Ad-Free
14th April 2016, 11:47 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malvern
Thanks Meter: 107

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingVekxin

i can say it is really appreciated that we have this ability but this blunt "we wont tell you how to at least temp root it" thing is kind of messed up because a lot of people have no idea where to go to find the right temp root for this phone. We have always needed root yet now we have unlocked bootloader which again is appreciated, but a little help with the latter would be nice.

To be honest if a person cannot find KingRoot, they should not be using this method. This mindset is shared by a lot of people on XDA. This is not a simple click and go type unlock, it requires someone to get down and dirty to get things done.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chriskader For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chriskader Ad-Free
14th April 2016, 11:51 PM |#4  
Flag Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks Meter: 254

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskader

To be honest if a person cannot find KingRoot, they should not be using this method. This mindset is shared by a lot of people on XDA. This is not a simple click and go type unlock, it requires someone to get down and dirty to get things done.

Trust me it wouldnt be the first down and dirty with rooting for me lol. But i have found it and will see if it goes alright and then i will try to link others to it to make it a little easier, at least with that part
The Following User Says Thank You to KingVekxin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KingVekxin Ad-Free
15th April 2016, 12:00 AM |#5  
Flag void (0)
Thanks Meter: 2,968

Donate to Me
More
can someone who has not done this, download and install brick bug app from Play store and post of screen shot of it running. I wanna check if Note 4 come with a emmc other than Samsung.
15th April 2016, 12:30 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Well I did everything as stared and now it's stuck in a bootloop.
I wiped everything also. It does say mode developer though.

Couldn't get some help guys?
15th April 2016, 12:35 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I can already hear the laughter
I have successfully completed these steps. However, I want to know is there any difference between this and an actual developer edition at this point?
15th April 2016, 12:47 AM |#8  

More
I'm really kind of in trouble here. It only boots up in download mode and in recovery. It says mode developer but it just bootloop. Kies won't connect to it.

Is it possible to Odin back?

Thank you.
15th April 2016, 12:52 AM |#9  
Flag void (0)
Thanks Meter: 2,968

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjahman

I'm really kind of in trouble here. It only boots up in download mode and in recovery. It says mode developer but it just bootloop. Kies won't connect to it.

Thank you.

remove battery and sd card. Then insert battery and reboot.
15th April 2016, 12:54 AM |#10  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,744

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingVekxin

To be fair, I don't even own this device. The exploit happened to apply to the Note 4 and we decided to make it compatible for you guys. That's why I can't really help you with it. Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjahman

Thank you.

Try pulling your battery and removing your SD card. Then try to wipe cache in recovery. Typically, you would unlock your bootloader if you wanted to flash custom ROMs/kernels. If that doesn't work, feel free to PM me and I'll help you as best I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to ryanbg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ryanbg Ad-Free
15th April 2016, 01:04 AM |#11  

More
Phew. Ty guys. Somehow I overlooked that lol.

It's fine now. I really appreciate it.

Edjahman

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

So I assume we treat this like a Dev edition Note 4 then as long as it says developer mode in recovery?
I'd hate to ODIN TWRP or CF Autoroot and brick it for real.

Thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)