Hangouts lag??

Search This thread

djsbad

May 9, 2012
I have not received any lag at all with hangouts or the default messaging app on the note 4. I am however having issues adding widgets on the homescreens and keeping apps in my folders in the app drawer after reboots. beautiful widgets and hd widgets and widgetsoid widgets all act as if they were added to the homescreen but then when you get to the homescreen, they aren't there. I know the apps coming out of the folders in the app drawer were a problems on most other samsung phones after the first boot, but mine is happening after every single boot.

As for sending messages, i havent had any lag at all. If anything, my signal has greatly improved

djsbad

May 9, 2012
If that was the case, then why wouldn't i have the lag issues then? Is there any other apps that are consuming your ram while on your phone? At least enough to bog it down while sending messages?

i7icegy

Mar 13, 2011
I also encountered this issue. If you downgrade to stock hangouts, there is no lag. The lag is pretty harsh ONLY when you are SENDING the message.

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
www.dinosaurstakefrance.com
yup! just put my 1 star review on Google Play. hangouts is the worst. it's terrible on all samsung devices. it's practically unusable. it lags down swiftkey like crazy. the only devices hangouts works well with are nexus devices and aosp roms. it's terrible on LG, samsung and htc ui. ugh so annoying.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

djsbad

May 9, 2012
yup! just put my 1 star review on Google Play. hangouts is the worst. it's terrible on all samsung devices. it's practically unusable. it lags down swiftkey like crazy. the only devices hangouts works well with are nexus devices and aosp roms. it's terrible on LG, samsung and htc ui. ugh so annoying.

I completely disagree. No offense. I have used hangouts on my old htc, and all my samsung devices and have never had a problem at all. Ive used it on the s3, the rezound, s4, note 3 note 2 and now my note 4 with no issues.

Ill keep trying on my note 4 to see if i can duplicate the issues but so far it has been flawless

crazed_z06

May 17, 2009

Yea.. same exact experience Im having.

I even deleted my whole text database and hangouts message history to make sure that wasnt causing a problem. Tried clearing cache, data, re-installing, etc.
have sort of the same issue on my Galaxy Note 8 and my gfs Galaxy S4.. so many it doesnt like Samung for some reason. Dont have the problem on my old DROID RAZR M.

Oh well.. maybe it's something they will look into if enough people have the problem.

coastieET

Oct 21, 2014
I get a small amount of lag right after I hit send, the paper airplane gets stuck half way thru it's animation then after a second or so it finishes it's animation and the message sends. Had this problem since the last update. Also affected my LG G3.

djsbad

May 9, 2012
To whoever asked if i had animations on, i do.

I should also note that I am not running the tw launcher but nova instead until they can get the widget issue fixed. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not.

Some of you guys having issues be interested in trying a launcher form the play store and see if the issue still remains? Just fyi, themer is not compatible with the note 4 yet but all the others seem to work.

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
don't know how some people have it and some don't. i always suspected, though, that swiftkey might be a part of the culprit. swiftkey is the only keyboard i can use and type fast on, so i can't use anything else...but in hangouts it was always much slower than the stock keyboard. on my GS4 it was awful and lagged horribly. i miss google talk lol that app was perfect. never any lag. was always so quick on those low end phones..ugh!

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

I should also note that I am not running the tw launcher but nova instead until they can get the widget issue fixed. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not.

Some of you guys having issues be interested in trying a launcher form the play store and see if the issue still remains? Just fyi, themer is not compatible with the note 4 yet but all the others seem to work.

has nothing to do with launcher. i use nova.

Reactions: djsbad

djsbad

May 9, 2012
Ok, with this new info, I am NOT using swift key. Beginning to wonder if that may be why I'm not dealing with the lag issue. It's weird that a keyboard would be lagging a messaging app though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

coastieET

Oct 21, 2014
I'm using stock note 4, just have my regular apps. Using stock Samsung keyboard, stock launcher. Still have Hangouts lag. It's not terrible, but definitely noticeable.

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
Ok, with this new info, I am NOT using swift key. Beginning to wonder if that may be why I'm not dealing with the lag issue. It's weird that a keyboard would be lagging a messaging app though.

SwiftKey can make anything lag... lmao. it's akin to people's hate for touchwiz. it's an amazing keyboard but it just lags down when a stock keyboard wouldn't.

Reactions: djsbad

coastieET

Oct 21, 2014
I'm fairly confident the lag is from the last update. I didn't have this issue before they updated hangouts for calling features etc

djsbad

May 9, 2012
I'm fairly confident the lag is from the last update. I didn't have this issue before they updated hangouts for calling features etc

I've tried desperately to duplicate this issue in hopes to help resolve any problems. I have Uninstaller hangouts and downloaded from the play store just to make sure I'm running the latest version. I hate to say this, but I still have no lag whatsoever. If you're stock and lagging in hangouts, maybe uninstall and reinstall?

Rockstar600

Jul 2, 2012
Bangalore
Same here, recently after thr upgrades, Google Hangouts has become worse. It does lag whike switching from text to emoji. Or as mentioned here by fellow XDA Member, that it lags while sending the message.

I could even feel the lag while typing. None other app has this issue. It has got nothing to do with what's in the background and what not. I stopped using Hangouts. Only use it to make Video calls.

Also, use any launcher. It doesn't affect it. Nova, TW, whatever. And the same goes to the keyboard too. I tried using Swiftkey, Swype, Google Keyboard, Phone's stock keyboard.

Reading some replies here, and I'm just giving my view. This lag isn't from the last update. You can say last few updates. Because before those updates, Hangouts used to work fine.

Hope there is a fix to this. I don't like downgrading applications. I better stop using them.

Sent from my Barrett .50 Cal.

Reactions: jayochs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ran fine on my note 3. Non-updated version runs fine on note 4. Updated version is awful, full of lag. Sigh. Using textra
    The Hangouts updates today fixes the typing lag and dropped frames when sending a message.
    don't know how some people have it and some don't. i always suspected, though, that swiftkey might be a part of the culprit. swiftkey is the only keyboard i can use and type fast on, so i can't use anything else...but in hangouts it was always much slower than the stock keyboard. on my GS4 it was awful and lagged horribly. i miss google talk lol that app was perfect. never any lag. was always so quick on those low end phones..ugh!

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

has nothing to do with launcher. i use nova.

SwiftKey can make anything lag... lmao. it's akin to people's hate for touchwiz. it's an amazing keyboard but it just lags down when a stock keyboard wouldn't.

Same here, recently after thr upgrades, Google Hangouts has become worse. It does lag whike switching from text to emoji. Or as mentioned here by fellow XDA Member, that it lags while sending the message.

I could even feel the lag while typing. None other app has this issue. It has got nothing to do with what's in the background and what not. I stopped using Hangouts. Only use it to make Video calls.

Also, use any launcher. It doesn't affect it. Nova, TW, whatever. And the same goes to the keyboard too. I tried using Swiftkey, Swype, Google Keyboard, Phone's stock keyboard.

Reading some replies here, and I'm just giving my view. This lag isn't from the last update. You can say last few updates. Because before those updates, Hangouts used to work fine.

Hope there is a fix to this. I don't like downgrading applications. I better stop using them.

Sent from my Barrett .50 Cal.