System_Server (Android OS) High CPU and Lag

Search This thread

guruleenyc

Aug 6, 2010
CT
Model: Galaxy Note 4
Android: 6.01
Rooted: No

My phone once again is almost impossible to use due to constant lag and slowness. After using one of many apps to identify what was consuming all my CPU I discovered it was the Android OS process and then I drilled down using top command (Elixir 2 app) to identify sub-process system_server. The system_server process was constantly utilizing >40% CPU and when this is coupled with user processes, my CPU was pegged in the 95-100% all the time. This made my phone just about impossible to use.

I encountered this issue approx. 3mo ago and I tried everything to resolve, but ended up doing a factory reset to resolve it. after the same thing a few months ago. Doing a factory reset was the only resolution unfortunately at the time. Now that it the issue has returned, I have tried just about everything to fix it without doing a factory reset, here are some of the trouble-shooting:
  • Toggled bluetooth on/off
  • Disabled improve location accuracy options for both BT and WiFi
  • Removed and re-added my 2 Google accounts
  • Disabled Google account sync of Gmail, and selective options.
  • Toggled from Global/GSM to LTE mobile network mode

What did clear the system_server CPU usage issue was putting my phone in Airplane Mode. All this tells me it is radio related....

My phone has been extremely slow and hanging as a result the past three days to a point where it was FRUSTRATING the hell out me, at one point I almost threw it!!! After searching high and low on the web, I couldn't deal with it any long----so I too the plunge and performed another factory reset---which fixed the problem. Since this was the second time in 4 months, I'd like help identifying what is causing this to avoid it in the future.

Thank you in advance everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: weaverinva

guruleenyc

Aug 6, 2010
CT
Bump; 24 views and no replies yet.... I cannot be the only one who experienced this issue. Can we start a dialog on possible causes and fixes other than a full factory reset?

Thank you in advance,

mojoswagger1980

May 18, 2014

My phone once again is almost impossible to use due to constant lag and slowness. After using one of many apps to identify what was consuming all my CPU I discovered it was the Android OS process and then I drilled down using top command (Elixir 2 app) to identify sub-process system_server. The system_server process was constantly utilizing >40% CPU and when this is coupled with user processes, my CPU was pegged in the 95-100% all the time. This made my phone just about impossible to use.

I encountered this issue approx. 3mo ago and I tried everything to resolve, but ended up doing a factory reset to resolve it. after the same thing a few months ago. Doing a factory reset was the only resolution unfortunately at the time. Now that it the issue has returned, I have tried just about everything to fix it without doing a factory reset, here are some of the trouble-shooting:
Toggled bluetooth on/off
Disabled improve location accuracy options for both BT and WiFi
Removed and re-added my 2 Google accounts
Disabled Google account sync of Gmail, and selective options.
Toggled from Global/GSM to LTE mobile network mode

What did clear the system_server CPU usage issue was putting my phone in Airplane Mode. All this tells me it is radio related....

My phone has been extremely slow and hanging as a result the past three days to a point where it was FRUSTRATING the hell out me, at one point I almost threw it!!! After searching high and low on the web, I couldn't deal with it any long----so I too the plunge and performed another factory reset---which fixed the problem. Since this was the second time in 4 months, I'd like help identifying what is causing this to avoid it in the future.

I can see why you arrived at that conclusion but I'd caution a second look . I think its your wakelocks bud which is radio connected . until I disabled the lame google one my phone would get ridiculously hot and I mean physically hot as in to the touch turns out my problem was all the damn services the play store is attempting to use. It$ rediculous 1 app has twice almost 3 times as many service request as the rest of the phone . makes me wish play games was Foss compatible so bad I threw in on the bounty for it. But yeah try a wakelock sheriff specifically on play services and its stupid 22 (I think was what mine was) connected services and see if that helps

Last edited:

Shortydesbwa

Jan 27, 2012
It looks like removing the screen pattern/password stops bumping system_server +110%, and it runs ≃ 1% CPU and 6% RAM.
Accordingly, CPU frequency is also lower. (1,4GHZ to 1Ghz).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

• Toggled bluetooth on/off
    • Disabled improve location accuracy options for both BT and WiFi
    • Removed and re-added my 2 Google accounts
    • Disabled Google account sync of Gmail, and selective options.
    • Toggled from Global/GSM to LTE mobile network mode