FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

A word of caution: Otterbox knockoffs

174 posts
Thanks Meter: 50

By vponomarev, Senior Member on 31st March 2015, 09:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi!

I just recently bought what was described as "store return" "near-new condition" Otterbox Defender case for Note 4 on eBay.
I already had a genuine one that got on Amazon, and just wanted to try a different color, but I didn't really want to pay the full price.
What I received looked like Otterbox case at first, but upon a closer look I noticed a few things:

1. The material used is quite different. The knockoff feels like cheap plastic and the outer layer feels stiffer and does not have a rubber feel. Not sure how that may affect its protective qualities.
2. The fit is not perfect and the edges are not well-rounded.
3. The little circle that shows the production date is not very well stamped - looks blurred.
4. And more importantly, there is no serial number. Genuine ones have a sticker on the inside of the shell with a serial number for warranty. This one didn't have any.

However, this knockoff is very well made (for a knock off, of course). If I didn't already have the original one, I would never knew this.
So, beware that apparently there are a lot of counterfeit Otterboxes sold as genuine ones, and not necessarily cheaper.

31st March 2015, 03:08 PM |#2  
Flag MASTIC BEACH NY
Thanks Meter: 2,385

More
None of my otter boxes have come with a sticker ever. The stamp in product is so small I have to zoom I. With another camera to get a good shot.

BAD ASS NOTE 4
31st March 2015, 04:57 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACARDILIMON

None of my otter boxes have come with a sticker ever. The stamp in product is so small I have to zoom I. With another camera to get a good shot.

It looks like Otterbox started to use serial number just recently and only Galaxy S5 and Note 4 cases have them.
Here is a counterfeit guide I found for different Otterbox cases with or without serial numbers: https://blog.stigmasearch.com/otterbox/
31st March 2015, 05:04 PM |#4  
Flag MASTIC BEACH NY

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vponomarev

It looks like Otterbox started to use serial number just recently and only Galaxy S5 and Note 4 cases have them.
Here is a counterfeit guide I found for different Otterbox cases with or without serial numbers: https://blog.stigmasearch.com/otterbox/

I will call Otterbox and find out and post. I have 2 for note4 defender and 1 commuter none have it.

BAD ASS NOTE 4
1st April 2015, 02:40 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 96

More
Online I would not buy an Otterbox case from anyone but directly from Amazon-not a 3rd party reseller on Amazon, Amazon themselves. Or if you believe in the motto "pay full retail and be proud" you could buy it directly from Otterbox's website.
1st April 2015, 09:30 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 440

Donate to Me
More
No serial number = Fake.

SOLD American !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	djd02.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	3240387   Click image for larger version

Name:	djd03.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	3240388   Click image for larger version

Name:	djd05.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	3240389  
The Following User Says Thank You to felloffthetruck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift felloffthetruck Ad-Free
2nd April 2015, 04:00 AM |#7  
Flag MASTIC BEACH NY

More
Spoke with otter box and they do not have stickers. They have imprinted circle with other boxers info. For the hell of it went to best buy to see what they had no sticker at all. I don't know where op got his info but it is incorrect

BAD ASS NOTE 4
2nd April 2015, 08:22 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Spoke with otter box and they do not have stickers. They have imprinted circle with other boxers info. For the hell of it went to best buy to see what they had no sticker at all. I don't know where op got his info but it is incorrect

Thanks for taking the time to speak with Otterbox.
And because you spoke with them, maybe you can enlighten all the proud owners of genuine Otterbox cases (specifically for Note 4), where can they find serial numbers, if not on stickers? Mine appears as a sticker on the inside of the inner shell (see attachment).
I don't know what kind of cases were you looking at when you went to Best Buy. As I mentioned above, not all Otterbox cases have serial numbers, because this was apparently introduced quite recently. But I would be very surprised if Best Buy was selling genuine Note 4 cases that don't have serial numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OtterboxSerialSticker.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	3240962  
The Following User Says Thank You to vponomarev For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vponomarev Ad-Free
2nd April 2015, 08:46 AM |#9  
Flag MASTIC BEACH NY

More
If you look at the case you shown. See the tiny center circle.. It has a code number on it. Otter box said they have seen a ton of faked but they do not add serial numbers to case at all. It is only a code. They also said if you paid a low price then you should know it not real unless you buying a used case off someone's site.

BAD ASS NOTE 4
2nd April 2015, 09:05 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

If you look at the case you shown. See the tiny center circle.. It has a code number on it. Otter box said they have seen a ton of faked but they do not add serial numbers to case at all. It is only a code. They also said if you paid a low price then you should know it not real unless you buying a used case off someone's site.

I'm guessing the code in a circle you're talking about is the product code.
Here is the warranty form that asks for both product code and serial number:
https://www.otterbox.com/on/demandwa...tyTemplate.pdf

As you can see the product code and the serial number are not the same. It also implies that not all cases have a serial number, but if they do it should appear on a sticker. Perhaps, whether or not this sticker is present depends on the particular case model and which device it is designed for. But from what I understand, atleast Defender series cases for Note 4 have serial numbers.

So either whoever you talked to was underinformed or you didn't get the full picture from that person, or worse.
2nd April 2015, 09:20 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by felloffthetruck

No serial number = Fake.
I've got a new Dark Jade & Citron Green (stock Screen Protector Removed) direct from Otterbox that I would take $35. shipped for. Paid $69.90 plus shipping for it.

The sticker with serial number is clearly visible in the same location as on mine. Thanks for sharing.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fake, knockoff, otterbox

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)