Looking for the "perfect" ROM for my case (for SM-N910F) (URGENT)

Search This thread

k_u_

Jun 24, 2018
Hello,

this question might seem somewhat stupid. I've run into serious bugs on my 3 year old Note 4, they come and go, sometimes they appear many times a week and sometimes not for several months in a row. I have insurance, which ends mid-July. I wanted to send it in over a week ago, but after I've read the terms, I thought that it would be hard to get something from them, since the bug doesn't appear every day. Since I moved the SIM card to another phone over a week ago, the Note worked perfectly. Before it would from time to time refuse to call, tell me that some system app had crashed and reboot. After reboot I'm unable to call again (no signal) and have to turn it off and on again, for it to work. Couple of times it froze completely (had to remove the battery) and some months ago I had WiFi problems (connected, but no data transmission) a couple of times.
I think that it's a hardware problem, but I doubt they would wait for weeks for a bug to appear and I want to rule out software problems first. I want to try "the best possible" ROM (I know, it's in the eye of the beholder). I took a look on the threads about LineageOS 15.1/14.1, 14.1 is called stable, but there are pretty much the same bugs mentioned. I need:

- Perfectly working cameras, phone calls (is it important that I have two numbers (normal and "landline") on the same card?), mobile Internet, WiFi, SD-card support, preferably docking station support (the 5in1-one, OTG, HDMI, SD and whatnot. I would like the S-Pen to work, if not to its full potential, then at least "somewhat". PlayStore/GApps (?) are important. I don't need Fingerprint sensor, NFC, Bluetooth. Though it would be nice if all the builtin sensors would work, since I might get to install FL Studio Mobile/IL Remote on it eventually or play some games (very unlikely).
- Ability to record calls automatically would be nice (I know, GDPR, but whatever)
- The most important thing is that it's as stable, as possible

It would be awesome if I could test the new FirmWare in DualBoot. I have a 32GB microSD card.

I'm not an idiot, but lately I'm seriously lacking free time and concentration skills (I don't feel my best mentally). I don't feel able to go through all the Firmware topics (LineageOS 14+15 alone are 1000 pages long), I would ask very kindly if someone could suggest a suiting Firmware and give me a link to a hopefully straightforward flashing how-to with all the latest download links. I would forever be in your debt. Especially if you could also give me a link on "how to get into that" (migration/getting started). I want to be done on Tuesday, if possible, so I'd have 2+ weeks to test everything as thoroughly, as possible.

I don't know anything about customizing one's phones, except for what's possible out-of-the box and with 3rd-party-apps. But I'm a fast learner. I understand English, German and Russian.

Regards,
k_u_

barlu

Mar 23, 2018
Montpellier
Hi
[Joke] The perfect ROM is the one YOU build :laugh: [/Joke]
As you speak English, German and Russian (too bad I'm French :laugh: ) I'll assume you live in Europe and you own a N910F.

To get all sensors working (heart rate included) you need stock: one just got out on Sam Mobile with updated BL and modem (DRD1) and April 2018 security update.
You also may consider Alexander's last built.

LOS 15.1 is pretty good as daily driver but I don't think it meets your needs (especially about sensors...), I've been using it for few months.

Can't help about any other custom ROM but in any cases you won't have all sensors on any of them.

You can use SPen Command for the stylus.

I hope this help...

Sent from my Zuk Z2 Pro using XDA Labs

Edit: you own a 910F! The title told me :silly:
IMHO you'd better keep on full stock (or close to) here is a link for Alexander's https://xdaforums.com/note-4/snapdr...se-multi-csc-safe-bloat-t3033881/post58925494
Dual boot is a hard work on N910F (never been able to get it work flawlessly :crying: )

Last edited:

k_u_

Jun 24, 2018
Hi
To get all sensors working (heart rate included) you need stock: one just got out on Sam Mobile with updated BL and modem (DRD1) and April 2018 security update.
You also may consider Alexander's last built.

LOS 15.1 is pretty good as daily driver but I don't think it meets your needs (especially about sensors...), I've been using it for few months.
[...]
IMHO you'd better keep on full stock (or close to) here is a link for Alexander's https://xdaforums.com/note-4/snapdr...se-multi-csc-safe-bloat-t3033881/post58925494
Dual boot is a hard work on N910F (never been able to get it work flawlessly :crying: )

With "all sensors" I meant accelerometer, gyroscope and whatever else is used in games and music software. I don't need heart rate/o2/UV sensors, etc.

I see that there was a German update in February, which I didn't receive (maybe it's for Vodafone-BRANDED devices? I have DQ(I/J/A)1 installed, latest update came on January 1st, I believe) and the latest one is indeed the DRD1 for UK. Does EE stand for the British mobile network operator? Will the firmware work the same in Germany or what would differ? WIll OTA continue to work?

I'm already downloading, the best (first) thing to try would be the original firmware, of course. I just thought, Samsung gave up on that model.

One question:

Add each file to it's respective field in Odin v3.13.1. Use CSC_OXM if you want to do a clean flash and HOME_CSC OXM if you want to keep your apps and data.

Is "keeping apps and data" possible/"advisable" in my case? I want to keep everything, but if another firmware "branch" could install with new bugs, maybe it should be installed cleanly.
---
As for Alexander's stuff link - I took a quick look and it's all Chinese to me :laugh: :eek: If I'll keep having problems with UK firmware, maybe, I'll take another look on that or LOS 15.1/14.1.

Did you have any problems with LOS? Camera problems are mentioned in bugs (maybe would work fine with a different app?), GPS problems (didn't understand that exactly, "doesn't fix satellites"???). I'd like to have up-to-date Android without Samsung's bloatware, but mostly I'd like a STABLE system.

P.S. Oh, yeah, one more question - what do you mean with "updated BL"?

P.P.S. Will flashing the UK firmware "void my warranty" (I don't have warranty anymore, but will the insurance company see, that I flashed a different firmware? KNOX counter or whatnot. (I called my "meta-insurer" (a proxy company) today and asked if I'm allowed to flash a custom ROM, he said, he's not 100% sure, but thinks, I'm not. I would have to ask the actual insurance company tomorrow or re-read the policy, which I might do later.))?

Last edited:

barlu

Mar 23, 2018
Montpellier
Hi
My feelings are you're not used to mess with your phone , so you better (for now) stick with official firmware. (No Knox trouble or whatever its Samsung's firmware)
IMHO the best for you is to install the last full stock ( did you already download it?) and follow this tutorial step by step https://samsung-firmware.org/download/GALAXY__Note4__/o2ll/EVR/N910FXXU1DRD1/N910FEVR1DRD1/
You should keep your data and still be able to use your phone in Germany.

If you still have issues you should backup every things you can't afford to loose. Because the repair techs will obviously delete all your data (even if they don't fix anything :eek: )

In any cases, with you want to go for a custom ROM, I'll give you an help for it. ;)

Sent from my Zuk Z2 Pro using XDA Labs

Last edited: