FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

no signs of life (no charging led, nothing on screen) after OTA update

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By fruitgang, Junior Member on 25th December 2016, 10:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So yesterday I got a notification for an OTA update (I'm on sprint). I am rooted, have xposed, and have twrp installed. Partly because of my stupidity and also just to see what would happen, I clicked download and install now. Now the phone doesn't show any signs of life, even after taking out the battery and trying to drain the capacitors by holding down power then putting the battery back in. Doesn't show up on my computer when plugged in, and doesn't have any power led when charging. I've tried 4 batteries with it (lol I have too many) and they all don't work. They were all charged with external anker chargers. I've tried with the sim card and sd card taken out, too.

So yeah, my phone is dead and I have no idea what to do. I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty because it's been two years and I've modified it.

25th December 2016, 11:22 PM |#2  
Flag Khartoum-sarajevo
Thanks Meter: 253

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitgang

So yesterday I got a notification for an OTA update (I'm on sprint). I am rooted, have xposed, and have twrp installed. Partly because of my stupidity and also just to see what would happen, I clicked download and install now. Now the phone doesn't show any signs of life, even after taking out the battery and trying to drain the capacitors by holding down power then putting the battery back in. Doesn't show up on my computer when plugged in, and doesn't have any power led when charging. I've tried 4 batteries with it (lol I have too many) and they all don't work. They were all charged with external anker chargers. I've tried with the sim card and sd card taken out, too.

So yeah, my phone is dead and I have no idea what to do. I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty because it's been two years and I've modified it.

Sorry for your loss mate.. please take your device to the nearest Samsung service center and let them check it for you the won't charge you nothing for normal checkup. Merry Christmas

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
26th December 2016, 12:28 AM |#3  
Flag Ulaan Baatar
Thanks Meter: 349

More
Quote:

You might consider to have a look here if you didn't do it already mate : http://forum.xda-developers.com/note...k-img-t3488114
26th December 2016, 01:16 AM |#4  
If you need the debrick.img for the sprint varient, I can give you that.
26th December 2016, 02:40 AM |#5  
Flag Lewisville, Tx
Thanks Meter: 338

More
I thought OTA would not install, if you were rooted and had a custom recovery.
26th December 2016, 05:55 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbat

You might consider to have a look here if you didn't do it already mate : http://forum.xda-developers.com/note...k-img-t3488114

Hey, thanks for the help. I'm not sure how to check if my device is hard bricked? Is it normal for there to be no signs of life at all, not even power LED or vibrations? I can't get my phone to the download mode in order to show up in odin so I'm not sure how I would flash the unbrick file. When I plug my phone into my computer windows says that the device has malfunctioned and I can't find it in the device manager.
26th December 2016, 09:06 AM |#7  
Flag Ulaan Baatar
Thanks Meter: 349

More
Quote:

Hey, thanks for the help. I'm not sure how to check if my device is hard bricked? Is it normal for there to be no signs of life at all, not even power LED or vibrations? I can't get my phone to the download mode in order to show up in odin so I'm not sure how I would flash the unbrick file. When I plug my phone into my computer windows says that the device has malfunctioned and I can't find it in the device manager.

It's worth to try it i think. Some users got back their phones to life using this method. @RDChase is offering you a debrick.img for your variant. This method is using sdcard so no worries at the moment with Odin
28th December 2016, 03:03 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Similar thing here, Sprint, TWRP, rooted, stock rom one of the early ones v4.4.4?!
Over last couple month it kept trying to update itself at night, very sneaky!!!! I have disabled auto-download and update BUT clearly it found a way around it, bastards!
It was in a reboot loop, extremely hot and buzzing, woke me up in the middle of night, I thought it going to burst in flames like Note 7!
So I pulled the battery out and left it out till morning, but now it no longer powers up, no LED, black screen, PC keeps saying USB drive malfunction and un-recognized, can't put it in recovery or download mode! Odin doesn't detect it also. PC device manager doesn't detect it either! Used volt meter to check both batteries both are fully charged up, but it doesn't show LED charging light?!?
Is there any way to un-brick it?
Again, I repeat phone does not power up and PC doesn't detect it!
Please help, if I can't un-brick it than I have few days until end of year to catch deal on upgrade to LG V20, hopefully it can be un-looked and rooted????

Edit: Just read online there is possibility that Note 8 is coming out either in April or Early August 2017!!!!!!
I need my Note 4 working again and last until new Note 8 comes out!

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbat

It's worth to try it i think. Some users got back their phones to life using this method. @RDChase is offering you a debrick.img for your variant. This method is using sdcard so no worries at the moment with Odin

Will mounting De-Brick.img on sdcard even work if phone doesn't power on or go into download/recovery mode?
28th December 2016, 07:25 AM |#9  
Yes. Instead of booting from internal memory, the cpu will boot from the external sdcard. Make sure you prepare it correctly however. The sdcard must be the 32GB+.

Take a look at this.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2345860
Is is for the s3, I know... However, it's the same stuff happening.

This works on a soc level, not the bootloader level.

Link to N910P debrick.
Mega Link

If I have helped you, hit that thanks button!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rootinchase For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rootinchase Ad-Free
28th December 2016, 01:16 PM |#10  
Flag somewhere far far away
Thanks Meter: 22

Donate to Me
More
boot from internal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDChase

Yes. Instead of booting from internal memory, the cpu will boot from the external sdcard. Make sure you prepare it correctly however. The sdcard must be the 32GB+.

Take a look at this.

Link to N910P debrick.
Mega Link

hi. once you get it to boot from sd card and configure the phone how do you make it so it can boot normally without the need for the sd card?
28th December 2016, 10:01 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDChase

Take a look at this.

Link to N910P debrick.
Mega Link

Thank you for debrick.img was looking for Sprint one everywhere!
Is it supposed to be 128mb or around 4Gb?
Debrick.img doesn't includes stock Rom, does it? If it does which version?
Next Steps:
1. Copy debrick.img to sdcard?
2. Put in sdcard + battery +press VolDown+Home+Power?
3. USB connect to PC + flash new Rom using Odin?
4. Root again?

Is this correct way to do it?
Has it worked for anyone?
The Following User Says Thank You to PPC6850RR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PPC6850RR Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)