FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][N910W8][5.1.1 COK3]Regular/Debloated v3.21[Rooted Deodexed][Dec-11-2015]

2,375 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,303

By sefrcoko, Senior Member on 8th February 2015, 05:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Note that this rom has a dedicated Q&A thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=59185266

Stock firmware for the Samsung N910W8, based on official Samsung builds. Works with all supported Canadian carriers. Rom is rooted, zipaligned, deodexed, and includes both busybox and Init.d support. There are two versions to choose from: Regular and Debloated. Enjoy!

N910W8 "Regular" Version
Base:
  • v3.21 - COK3 (Lollipop 5.1.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v3.2 - COK3 (Lollipop 5.1.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v3.1 - COI4 (Lollipop 5.1.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v3.0 - COI4 (Lollipop 5.1.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v2.5 - BOE2 (Lollipop 5.0.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v2.4 - BOF2 (Lollipop 5.0.1, Puerto Rico)
  • v2.3 - BOE1 (Lollipop 5.0.1, Telus)
  • v2.1 - BOC4 (Lollipop 5.0.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v1.1 - AOA1 (Kitkat 4.4.4, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v1.0 - AOA1 (Kitkat 4.4.4, Bell Mobility Canada)
Modem:
  • Modem removed (your modem will not be changed by flashing this rom).
Changes from stock:
  • Added init.d support
  • Added BusyBox
  • Rooted
  • Deodexed
  • Zipaligned
  • Disabled securestorage support for improved compatibility with Xposed (Regular v1.0/v1.1 only)
  • Restored external SD card write permissions (Regular v1.0/v1.1 only)

N910W8 "Debloated" Version
Base:
  • v3.21 - COK3 (Lollipop 5.1.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v3.2 - COK3 (Lollipop 5.1.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v3.1 - COI4 (Lollipop 5.1.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v3.0 - COI4 (Lollipop 5.1.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v2.5 - BOE2 (Lollipop 5.0.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v2.4 - BOF2 (Lollipop 5.0.1, Puerto Rico)
  • v2.3 - BOE1 (Lollipop 5.0.1, Telus)
  • v2.2 - BOC4 (Lollipop 5.0.1, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v1.1 - AOA1 (Kitkat 4.4.4, Bell Mobility Canada)
  • v1.0 - AOA1 (Kitkat 4.4.4, Bell Mobility Canada)
Modem:
  • Modem removed (your modem will not be changed by flashing this rom).
Changes from stock:
  • Added init.d support
  • Added BusyBox
  • Rooted
  • Deodexed
  • Zipaligned
  • Removed Knox Apps/Folders
  • Debloated
List of removed/cleaned apps and folders in "Debloated" version:
[SPOILER]
AutomationTest_FB
BlueToothTest
Blurb
Books
Bridge
ChocoEUKor
Chrome
com.sec.knox.store
container
CoolEUKor
Drive
Dropbox
DualClockDigital
EasySettings
Facebook
Flipboard
Hangouts
HwModuleTest
InteractiveTutorial
KLMSAgent
KnoxAttestationAgent
KnoxSetupWizardClient
Magazines
MobileTrackerEngineTwo
NoiseField
PhaseBeam
PlusOne
preloadedsso
PreloadInstaller
RCPComponents
RoseEUKor
SamsungSans
sCloudBackupApp
sCloudDataRelay
sCloudDataSync
sCloudSyncCalendar
sCloudSyncContacts
SecFactoryPhoneTest
SecSafetyAssurance
SNS
SPDClient
SPPPushClient_Prod
talkback
UniversalMDMClient
Videos
WlanTest
YouTube
[/SPOILER]

WHAT'S NEW
[SPOILER]Regular/Debloated v3.21:
  • Added CSC folder back into the rom (LTE icon is back).
  • Removed multiple apks that weren't being properly debloated in a few of the previous rom versions -- see list of removed apps in OP.
Regular/Debloated v3.2:
  • Updated to latest official N910W8 base from sammobile.com
  • Updated SuperSu to v2.62.
  • Different build method -- used "sparse_dat" instead of "set_metadata" to avoid bootloops.
  • A few apks that I normally remove from the Debloated version were left untouched this time (Dropbox, Flipboard, ChocoEUKor, CoolEUKor). Just remove them manually if needed
  • Rom now boots with Selinux Enforcing stock kernel!
Regular/Debloated v3.1:
  • Fixed to allow boot with modded stock kernel (used "set_perm" instead of "set_metadata". Big thank you to Raziel2k6 for all his help with the kernel boot issue!).
  • Rom now includes modified stock Selinux Enforcing COI4 5.1.1 kernel from OP2. Note: new kernel seems to cause issues with the camera. If your camera force closes, or if you get bootloops due to latest Samsung policy security update, then use a custom 5.1.1 kernel for now until these issues can be resolved.
  • Updated SuperSu to v2.50 beta.
  • Note that after booting up you will see a black screen for 5-10 seconds. I'm not exactly sure what the cause is, but I'll continue working on it. For now it doesn't seem to affect anything beyond that.
  • Removed several more apks in the debloated version that were missed in v3.0 (Bridge, ChocoEUKor, CoolEUKor, Drive, Dropbox, Flipboard, Hangouts, UniversalMDMClient, YouTube).
Regular/Debloated v3.0:
  • Updated to latest official Samsung 5.1.1 Lollipop COI4 base (Bell Mobility Canada).
  • The rom's included stock kernel will not boot because the rom is rooted (new 5.1.1 security...yay). Be sure to flash a custom 5.1.1 kernel like Emotion or AEL after installing the rom in TWRP! I'm working to find another solution regarding the stock kernel for a subsequent update, but if no success then I will at least look into including a custom 5.1.1 kernel so the rom boots without needing to flash another kernel afterwards.
  • SuperSu seems to allow us to use "Prompt" instead of "Grant" again. If you have any problems though, just switch to back to "Grant".
  • Removed as many Knox files as possible from the Debloated version, but left everything intact for the Regular version to keep it as close to possible to stock (since some might use this base for further development). Either way, you may get KNOX-related FCs after the initial boot, especially on Regular. Recommend you run Titanium Backup at this point, and search for any apps containing the word "knox". Freeze all the apps that appear and you should be good to go from there.
Regular/Debloated v2.5:
  • Updated to latest official 5.0.1 Lollipop BOE2 base (Bell Mobility Canada) from sammobile.
  • Stagefright patch.
Regular/Debloated v2.4:
  • Based on new BOF2 firmware released for the N910W8 (Puerto Rico). Not clear what changes are in this build compared to BOE1 firmware, but hey it's here if anyone is curious .
  • ROM is based for Puerto Rico, so it's not in English by default. During initial setup you can change the language to English. You'll also want to change the language to English in the keyboard settings menu, as well as in the Handwriting Recognition settings (under Settings/Language and Input).
  • More carrier bloatware in this firmware release (compared to what we usually get from Bell, Telus, etc.). The "Regular" version of my rom is always kept as close to stock as possible, so Regular v2.4 includes the "Claro" boot animation, shutdown animation, .ogg sound files, wallpapers, and related apks. All of these have been removed in Debloated v2.4 though (well, all except for one pesky apk I couldn't find...just disable/freeze claro.apk after rom installation and first boot).
Regular/Debloated v2.3:
  • Updated to latest official 5.0.1 Lollipop BOE1 base (Telus) from sammobile.
Debloated v2.2:
  • Used a new debloat process and also fixed FC when using the front-facing camera.
Regular/Debloated v2.1:
  • Updated to latest official 5.0.1 Lollipop BOC4 base (Bell Mobility Canada) from sammobile.
  • Securestorage and read/write permissions are unchanged from stock in these latest builds. This provides a clean base for everyone. See post #2 for instructions on tweaking these settings if you prefer.
Regular/Debloated version 1.1:
  • Restored external SD card write permissions
  • Disabled securestorage support (improved compatibility with Xposed)
Regular/Debloated version 1.0:
  • Initial build, based on official KitKat 4.4.4 AOA1 firmware (Bell Mobility Canada) from sammobile.
[/SPOILER]

ROM INSTALLATION
I tested all versions of the rom on my own device and everything works well, but you know the drill: This will trip Knox and void warranty. Flash at your own risk and always make a backup in recovery before flashing
  1. Make a Backup!
  2. Make sure you are on the correct base firmware (e.g. COI4, AOA1, BOC4, etc). If not then download it through sammobile.com and flash it through Odin.
  3. Make sure you have twrp installed. If not, download it on xda and install it through odin.
  4. Download the rom (links at the end of this post).
  5. Reboot to recovery mode.
  6. Wipe data, cache, dalvik, and system
  7. Install the rom.
  8. Note: As of Regular/Debloated v3.2, you do not need to install a custom kernel to boot! For Regular v3.0 and v3.1 though, you will need to flash a Selinux permissive custom kernel (e.g. Emotion, AEL, Beastmode) at this point in the process or you will get stuck in a boot loop.
  9. Reboot (if prompted, do NOT allow TWRP to install supersu. It says it's not installed but it is).
  10. Phone may bootloop once but then will boot fine after that (normal effect of using supersu 2.62). Enjoy!
Post-installation notes:
  • Known bugs (as of latest builds): Action memo not working on Regular/Debloated builds. Will fix as soon as I can figure it out or as soon as someone lets me know the cause!
  • For 5.0.1 roms only: Open the SuperSu app to see if you're prompted to update binaries. If so, update them using the "Normal" method and not the "CWM/TWRP" method. If you are on 5.0.1, make sure to also change the SuperSu app's "Default Prompt" from "Prompt" to "Grant".
  • For 5.1.1 only: If you get any Knox-related FCs after initial boot-up, particularly if you're on Regular v3.0 or v3.1. Just freeze any remaining Knox apks through TitaniumBackup. If you encounter any other FCs (such as Google Maps or Samsung Link Platform), just make sure to update the problematic app from the Play Store/Samsung's Galaxy Apps Store or disable the app altogether.

ROM DOWNLOADS
Regular version:
Debloated version:
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to sefrcoko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sefrcoko Ad-Free

8th February 2015, 05:51 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Modified N910W8 COI4 5.1.1 Stock Kernel (beta)

If anyone is interested I have a beta kernel available for download/testing/feedback!

I modified the 5.1.1 stock COI4 kernel to allow it to boot COI4-based 5.1.1 roms rooted with supersu beta v2.50-v2.52. Kernel is otherwise pure stock, and boots in Selinux Enforcing mode (yes, rooted). Big thank you to Chainfire for figuring this one out and sharing with XDA.

As always, I never share anything without testing it first...but it's still beta so make a backup please and flash at your own risk

KNOWN BUGS:
  • Camera force closes on custom 5.1.1 roms, but works fine on rooted stock 5.1.1. If using a custom 5.1.1 rom, please use a custom 5.1.1 kernel.
  • UPDATE #1: Latest Samsung security policy update seems to have killed root and cause bootloops when using the modded Selinux enforcing kernel on 5.1.1 roms. For now you will need a selinux permissive custom kernel unless chainfire can identify another solution.
  • UPDATE #2: Chainfire has released SuperSu beta v2.62 which now modifies the stock kernel directly on your device (without having to manually modify it first). This means that for the newer COK3 firmware a separate modified kernel is no longer necessary to run root on stock. Will leave this kernel here anyways, in case someone wants to use it to run a system-based root on stock COI4. Otherwise I suggest using the newer SuperSu methods like systemless 2.62 and beyond as Chainfire released new updates for us.

KERNEL INSTALLATION:
  1. Boot to TWRP recovery
  2. Flash a COI4-based rom (skip this step if you already have a compatible rom installed)
  3. Flash SuperSu beta 2.50 (skip this step if your rom already has supersu 2.50-2.52 installed)
  4. Flash modified COI4 kernel (see download link below)
  5. Reboot

KERNEL DOWNLOAD:
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sefrcoko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sefrcoko Ad-Free
8th February 2015, 05:52 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Just a few tips and tricks. I'll add more when there's time...

You know the drill: Any modifications or flashes to your device are done at your own risk. Keep a recent backup for extra safety

Restoring debloated apps (for Debloated rom only):
  • HWModuleTest: Restores the ability to enter the Samsung diagnostic menu system code (*#0*#) through the dialer. To install, begin by downloading the apk to your phone. Then use Root Explorer to create a new folder named "HwModuleTest" (without the quotes) in your phone's /system/priv-app/ folder. Change the new folder's permissions to rwxr-xr-x and then copy the apk you downloaded to this new folder you just created. Change permissions on the file to rw-r--r-- and reboot! The code should now work properly and allow you to access the diagnostic menu. Thank you to Larkstarr for identifying the apk's functionality and testing the apk!
  • TaskManager: Restores the TaskManager functionality. To install, begin by downloading the apk to your phone. Then use Root Explorer to create a new folder named "TaskManager" (without the quotes) in your phone's /system/app/ folder. Change the new folder's permissions to rwxr-xr-x and then copy the apk you downloaded to this new folder you just created. Change permissions on the file to rw-r--r-- and reboot! The code should now work properly and allow you to access the diagnostic menu. Thank you to Cryingmoose for leading me in the right direction to figure this out out!

Changing your boot animation:
  1. Search online or in XDA and download a new boot animation to your phone (Google is your friend). There should be two files, both in the .qmg format. Make sure they are named bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg (If not, rename them now).
  2. Use Root Explorer to navigate to /system/media/ on your phone.
  3. Rename bootsamsung.qmg to bootsamsung.qmg.bak (if prompted to remount as read-write, press "Yes").
  4. Rename bootsamsungloop.qmg to bootsamsungloop.qmg.bak (if prompted to remount as read-write, press "Yes").
  5. Use Root Explorer to move (or copy) your new boot animation to the /system/media/ folder
  6. Use Root Explorer to change the permissions on the new system/media/bootsamsung.qmg file to 644 (rw-r--r--)
  7. Use Root Explorer to change the permissions on the new system/media/bootsamsungloop.qmg file to 644 (rw-r--r--)
  8. Reboot!

Changing your shutdown animation:
  1. Search online or in XDA and download a new shutdown animation to your phone (Google is your friend). Your animation should be in the .qmg format. Make sure it is named shutdown.qmg (If not, rename it now).
  2. Use Root Explorer to navigate to /system/media/ on your phone.
  3. Rename shutdown.qmg to shutdown.qmg.bak (if prompted to remount as read-write, press "Yes").
  4. Use Root Explorer to move (or copy) your new shutdown animation to the /system/media/ folder
  5. Use Root Explorer to change the permissions on the new system/media/shutdown.qmg file to 644 (rw-r--r--)
  6. Reboot!

Having trouble running init.d scripts at boot?

See the following post for info and link to the solution: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=58804378

How to enable write permissions for external SD card:

See the following for instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2687734

How to enable/disable secure storage support:
  1. Use Root Explorer to navigate to the /system/ folder on your phone.
  2. Edit build.prop
  3. Find the line that references ro.securestorage.support
  4. Edit this line accordingly. "True" to enable, "false" to disable (without the quotes of course!)
  5. Save the file and reboot.
  6. If you have trouble connecting to wifi after making this change, simply forget your saved wifi connection and add it again.

Removing the S-Finder and Quick Connect toggles:

See this post for instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=62949226

Themes:

Not a fan of the stock TouchWiz look? Check out the following thread for themes that have been confirmed to work on this rom without issues. More will be added as they are tested/confirmed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sefrcoko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sefrcoko Ad-Free
8th February 2015, 08:35 PM |#4  
Flag toronto
Thanks Meter: 7,991

More
Awesome!

Thanks for this my friend..im sure everyone will appreciate the effort.

Lets show this man some thanks!

sent from Canada via my Note 4, 3, 2 or S3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to force70 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift force70 Ad-Free
9th February 2015, 01:14 PM |#5  
Flag Woodstock
Thanks Meter: 468

More
Thanks for the deodexed A1. Not sure why but when I flash I lose modem no wifi or signal. It says no sim I am on Rogers I know it says bmc but with the csc removed it shouldn't make a difference. I tried flashing the modem through odin, no go had to flash whole rom through odin . Also get a direct pen error as well not sure what app deals with that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-01-00-06-17.png
Views:	2600
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	3157197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-01-00-06-00.jpg
Views:	2596
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	3157198  
9th February 2015, 01:29 PM |#6  
Flag toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32dave

Thanks for the deodexed A1. Not sure why but when I flash I lose modem no wifi or signal. It says no sim I am on Rogers I know it says bmc but with the csc removed it shouldn't make a difference. I tried flashing the modem through odin, no go had to flash whole rom through odin . Also get a direct pen error as well not sure what app deals with that

So you flashed the entire A1 firmware package via ofin then this and still no baseband or wifi?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to force70 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift force70 Ad-Free
9th February 2015, 01:36 PM |#7  
Flag Woodstock

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by force70

So you flashed the entire A1 firmware package via odin then this and still no baseband or wifi?

I was on another custom rom , wiped flashed lost wifi and signal. So I flashed the modem with odin same had to flash entire A1 rom with odin and it came back
9th February 2015, 04:41 PM |#8  
Flag toronto

More
Quote:

I was on another custom rom , wiped flashed lost wifi and signal. So I flashed the modem with odin same had to flash entire A1 rom with odin and it came back

Just checking..if you flashed the firmware and still had those issues then id be confused.

Once your on A1 shouldnt be any problems

The Following User Says Thank You to force70 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift force70 Ad-Free
9th February 2015, 08:01 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Had you ever upgraded to AOA1 through Odin before? If not then your experience makes sense. You need to odin flash the new base at least once before flashing new AOA1 roms through recovery. Now that you have, you should be ok moving forward.
9th February 2015, 08:33 PM |#10  
Flag Woodstock

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sefrcoko

Had you ever upgraded to AOA1 through Odin before? If not then your experience makes sense. You need to odin flash the new base at least once before flashing new AOA1 roms through recovery. Now that you have, you should be ok moving forward.

No I was on A1 already through odin when it came out
The Following User Says Thank You to 32dave For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 32dave Ad-Free
9th February 2015, 08:57 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

No I was on A1 already through odin when it came out

Ok thanks for the feedback. Hmm, is it possible the APNs were reset to Bell instead of Rogers by flashing this? Not sure if that would cause your issue but just a thought... If so you would need to enter your own APN info after flashing this. If not, well I could always build a version based off the Rogers firmware and add it to the first post if you're willing to try it out. For the s-pen issue I'll need to flash the debloated version tonight and see if I get the same error. Might be one of the removed apps because the regular version works fine for me, although from looking at the list of removed apps I dont immediately see anything that would cause a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to sefrcoko For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sefrcoko Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
aoa1, canada, n910w8, stock, trltecan

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)