FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP/MOD][Exynos/Snapdragon][V9] Camera quality mod/Time limit extendr/higher quality

3,783 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,498

By kevinrocksman, Senior Member on 25th October 2014, 07:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ok here we go, after figuring out where everything is located I am now proud to announce this mod for the note 4 (not sure if it will work on all of them but defiantly sprint). I will update the log as I go

Version 9/ Version 9.3
Turned JPEG quality up to 100% from 96% (Verified)
Changed DUAL FHD max record time from 5 minutes to 10 minutes
Changed DUAL HD max record time from 10 minutes to 30 minutes
Changed UHD max record time from 5 minutes to 30 minutes
Changed SMOOTH MOTION max record time from 10 minutes to 30 minutes
Changed SMOOTH MOTION from 28mbit to 40mbit
Changed UHD from 24mbit to 65mbit
Changed FHD from 20mbit to 40mbit
Themed the camera with transparency set at 30% to make buttons less obvious (v4t).
Themed the camera with a greenish tint and all new icons (v4g - thanks to Kevinoliva113)
Set UHD/WQHD to max record limit of 20 minutes
Added the smooth motion default mod from louforgiveno
Added the mod from Jovy32:
Disabled Camera/Camcorder "Low Battery", "Can't Use Flash", And "Unable To Start While In A Call" Alerts So Now You Can Use Flash/Camera/Camcorder Even When Your Phone's Battery Is Running Low Or During A Phone Call.
Removed 05:00 time from UHD and WQHD recording, will only show up when almost out of space
Created a EXYNOS version
Added capability to record during calls(Thanks to dwitherell)
No audio interruption if listening to music(Thanks to dwitherell)

Themes are at the bottom of the post

INSTRUCTIONS (There are 2 different routes):

See bottom of OP for description of T and G
(example SamsungCamera3v4t.apk

1. Download ES File Explorer
2. Go to /system/app and delete SamsungCamera3.apk and SamsungCamera3.odex
3. Copy the SamsungCamera3.apk file over to /system/app
4. Set permissions to rw-r-r
5. (Version 3 or higher) Copy the media_profiles.xml file to /system/etc/
6. Set permissions to rw-r-r
7. Reboot
8. Enjoy

Note: If the icon doesn't look like this on reboot there is something wrong

OR

Just download the Flashable Zip and flash through recovery and reboot

DOWNLOAD

Version 1
October 25th 2014 - Turned JPEG quality up to 100% from 96% (Verified)

V2 Changlog. (In testing process)
October 25th 2014 - Changed DUAL FHD max record time from 5 minutes to 10 minutes (Tested up to 20 min - Needs more verifications)
October 25th 2014 - Changed DUAL HD max record time from 10 minutes to 30 minutes (Needs Verification)
October 25th 2014 - Changed UHD max record time from 5 minutes to 30 minutes (Appears to stop at 5 Min)
October 25th 2014 - Changed SMOOTH MOTION max record time from 10 minutes to 30 minutes (Needs Verification)

V3 Changlog. (Thanks to Killa12222)
October 25th 2014 - Changed FHD from 17mbit to 20mbit (Verified)
October 25th 2014 - Changed SMOOTH MOTION from 28mbit to 40mbit (Verified)
October 25th 2014 - Changed UHD from 24mbit to 65mbit (Verified)

V4 Changlog.
October 31st 2014 - Themed the camera with transparency set at 30% to make buttons less obvious (v4t).
October 31st 2014 - Themed the camera with a greenish tint and all new icons (v4g - thanks to Kevinoliva113).

V5 Changlog.
November 1st 2014 - Changed FHD from 20mbit to 40mbit (Verified)
November 1st 2014 - Set UHD/WQHD to max record limit of 20 minutes (Verified)

V6 Changlog.
Added the smooth motion default mod from louforgiveno

V7 Changlog.
November 4th 2014- Added the mod from Jovy32:
Disabled Camera/Camcorder "Low Battery", "Can't Use Flash", And "Unable To Start While In A Call" Alerts So Now You Can Use Flash/Camera/Camcorder Even When Your Phone's Battery Is Running Low Or During A Phone Call.

V8 Changlog.
Created a EXYNOS version (Not tested!)
Removed 05:00 time from UHD and WQHD recording, will only show up when almost out of space

V9 Changlog.
Added capability to record during calls(Thanks to dwitherell)
No audio interruption if listening to music(Thanks to dwitherell)

V9.1 Changlog.
Removed Smooth Motion being set to default (I'll see how this goes and will determine if I make future versions with it out)

V9.3 Changlog.
Updated each download with the correct media_profiles.xml files and the correct themes so phones should not go into bootloop on flash.

Themes

Original (any camera without a letter after the version "example v4 not v4t" (not in version 4 currently)

Transparency (any camera that ends in T)

Greenish (any camera that ends in G)
The Following 68 Users Say Thank You to kevinrocksman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kevinrocksman Ad-Free

25th October 2014, 08:42 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
not very good images for a comparisan shot but one is 96% and the other is 100%. Difference is 15KB (granted not much color in the shot)

image1

image2
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kevinrocksman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kevinrocksman Ad-Free
26th October 2014, 03:42 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
If someone would kindly test this attachment and let me know if u have any problems thatd be awesome (install instructions are in the op)
Attached Files
File Type: apk SamsungCamera3.apk - [Click for QR Code] (7.43 MB, 8642 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevinrocksman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kevinrocksman Ad-Free
26th October 2014, 10:23 AM |#4  
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 144

More
Here's my take on modding the bitrate. Seems to be similar to my N3. So far I've changed:

4k: 48mbit to 65mbit
1080p: 17mbit to 20mbit
1080/60p: 28mbit to 40mbit

Rest is unchanged. I don't own a N4 so testing is appreciated

**link removed, having some compiling issues..
The Following User Says Thank You to killa12222 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift killa12222 Ad-Free
26th October 2014, 02:19 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Version 3 is out!
26th October 2014, 04:50 PM |#6  
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Thanks for the mod.
I will test it after rooting.
Is there a chance to save the pictures as RAW?
Because RAW has a better dynamic range.
Since a while, i use raw on my dslr. The difference is dramaticly.
Spezially white balance correction is much easier and the result is better.
I cant understand Samsung and other producer, why in hell a simple function like this is allways disabled. Raw is the uncompressed data from the cmos. There is no need to destroy this good data, with a compression algorithm. 100% jpgs are not real 100%.
Actual, a good 64gb Micro sd card costs round about 40 Euro. Thats enough space for raw pix.
If raw is not possible, maybe png or bmp?
27th October 2014, 11:21 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 358

More
I think raw is over kill for the image quality u get from mobile iso and the amount of time to simply take and process for a normal mobile phone camera+sensor to take the image is far longer than stock, requires a steadier hand and probably negates the OIS, in my experience ppl want something they can take quickly, with easy steady shot every time and open up in the stock gallery so yuy2 or ycrcb format bmp or png would be a far better option for most of us.

I'd leave raw for dslr, the stock camera is already outstanding but we can make it better.
27th October 2014, 12:28 PM |#8  
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Smile
Okay. Thanks for the answer. As far as i know, OneplusOne or an other producer has the raw option in a new smartphone model integrated. I bought the sandisk uhc card. This card is multiple times faster than older cards. I think it can store big files Quick. I use the same cards in my gh4 dslr in 4k recording mode. And in full hd with 200mbit/sec. No glitches.
here a little comparison:
oneplusone (raw/jpg)
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Raw-D...images_id58538

nexus 5 (raw/jpg) (with android 5 cam api, dng is possible.)
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Unlea...s-JPEG_id61956

for me, it looks interesting. and the difference is clearly visible.
27th October 2014, 12:44 PM |#9  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 691

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMin8or

Okay. Thanks for the answer. As far as i know, OneplusOne or an other producer has the raw option in a new smartphone model integrated. I bought the sandisk uhc card. This card is multiple times faster than older cards. I think it can store big files Quick. I use the same cards in my gh4 dslr in 4k recording mode. And in full hd with 200mbit/sec. No glitches.
here a little comparison:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Raw-D...images_id58538

I think its overkill for a mobile Raw. But hey if its possible some would like that. As it is it takes pretty decent images. One of the best cameras on a mobile I think.
27th October 2014, 01:22 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 358

More
Anything is better than jpeg to be sure, i still don't understand why companies don't use a better format to this day and not get better out of their devices like Oneplus.

kevinrocksman you're quick with the mods mate, 65mbit is amazing, how big are those video file sizes? Already ordered my 128gb card, my internal is 90% full so i cant record for more than a min in UHD, and does it produce any errors when it hits 5 mins?
27th October 2014, 01:32 PM |#11  
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 691

More
Actuality there is an app that lets you record in PNG, Camera FV-5. I think its around $5 on play.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hendrickson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hendrickson Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)