FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Looks like I'm the first moron to get their S-pen stuck. Yay.

113 posts
Thanks Meter: 34

By JinxtPhoto, Senior Member on 20th August 2016, 12:38 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
No idea what happened. I just slid my s-pen into the body, no problem, but the cap didn't click back out past the o-ring to be flush with the body. It now sits in the body just past the o-ring/seal and will not come out. No idea WTF to do, but this is WAY worse of an issue than people putting the pen in backward on the 5. This wasn't avoidable. Pushing it in further, there's no feedback click and there's not enough force in the spring action to move it back out past the o-ring/seal. Not fun. Kinda pissed.

Any idea on how to coax it back out without scratching or gouging the finish anywhere?

*Update*
Using a thumbtack I very carefully poked the seal all the way around with the side of the point and was able to lightly pry it in a corner to get the end of the pen past the seal. Everything is fine now. Everything still works.

Note to everyone, it takes almost no pressure at all to get the pen seated properly, if you push it in too far (because you have fat fingers and you can't tell how far you're going past your case, like me) it can get stuck on the seal. Lightly press the pen back in and when it clicks, it's seated, stop pushing.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JinxtPhoto For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JinxtPhoto Ad-Free

20th August 2016, 03:10 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 492

More
Don't know what o-ring or seal you are referring to. The s-pen chamber is sealed off. I doubt the pen docking hole is sealed itself since you can use the pen underwater anyway. Also, stop pushing when you feel the pen click back into place? Okay, but then you have to push fairly hard to retract the clicky pen top. All of that pressure is trying to push the pen further into the phone first, and since it can't go anywhere, the pen top retracts instead. I'm not following what you're saying at all.
20th August 2016, 04:04 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 787

More
This happened to me too. Had to use the tip of a pin to get the S-Pen button to pop back out again. Not sure why it happened, but there's a big YouTube video on this exact issue with the Note 7. Mine happened ironically after I did a water test in the bathroom sink to test the water resistance of both the phone & the pen. It passed the test - just under a minute under a couple inches of water.

What gives?
20th August 2016, 04:27 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Just wanted to say this happened to me too, also after getting it wet. I had to use a razor blade to pry it out l, luckly I didn't scratch anything though.
20th August 2016, 09:12 PM |#5  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 720

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxtPhoto

Note to everyone,

that was the worst pun I've seen on XDA in a while
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Lightn1ng For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lightn1ng Ad-Free
20th August 2016, 09:37 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare3219

Don't know what o-ring or seal you are referring to. The s-pen chamber is sealed off. I doubt the pen docking hole is sealed itself since you can use the pen underwater anyway. Also, stop pushing when you feel the pen click back into place? Okay, but then you have to push fairly hard to retract the clicky pen top. All of that pressure is trying to push the pen further into the phone first, and since it can't go anywhere, the pen top retracts instead. I'm not following what you're saying at all.

My bad, I'm talking about the new ridge that blocks the pen from being able to go in backwards. It's got a rubberized finish at that ridge and that is where the click tip got hung up.
20th August 2016, 09:48 PM |#7  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 5,166

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxtPhoto

No idea WTF to do, but this is WAY worse of an issue than people putting the pen in backward on the 5.

One phone does not make an "issue." If it's an issue you'll by joined by others in short order. Until then your phone or S Pen has a singular defect. But thanks for queuing the OMG! crowd so this thread can grow needlessly to multiple pages like the RAM and glass scratching threads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BarryH_GEG Ad-Free
21st August 2016, 04:29 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

One phone does not make an "issue." If it's an issue you'll by joined by others in short order. Until then your phone or S Pen has a singular defect. But thanks for queuing the OMG! crowd so this thread can grow needlessly to multiple pages like the RAM and glass scratching threads.

By worse of an issue I meant that putting then s-pen in backwards problem with the Note 5 was as simple as not putting the s-pen in backwards... That's a user error situation. If more people start having the same issue as I had with the Note 7, during normal use, that's an absolutely true statement for me to have made. And 3 people have apparently had the same thing happen to them thus-far. Maybe it's not something that will effect everyone. Just sharing my personal experience.

I apologize if it seemed I was aiming at stirring things up, as tone isn't something one can convey well using text. That was not my intent. I just suspected that this might be something we see start popping up a bit in the forum. For $850+ USD it's not something I expected to happen and my initial shock may have weighted my words/tone incorrectly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JinxtPhoto For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JinxtPhoto Ad-Free
21st August 2016, 05:02 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 131

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

Do you ever have something positive to say?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to MACHEK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MACHEK Ad-Free
21st August 2016, 05:31 AM |#10  
Flag Fayetteville
Thanks Meter: 20

More
The clicky button on top of the S Pen can sometimes get stuck outside of the Note7, too. Take yours out and instead of a quick click to lock it down, click and hold for a few seconds then let go. It will stay down and you'll have to fiddle with it to get it back up. I was able to replicate this a few times yesterday, but it doesn't seem to be doing it now. Hopefully it stays like that.
21st August 2016, 02:44 PM |#11  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 164

More
Wow.
Im sorry to hear all that. I heard of the note 5 people putting there sitck in backwards. I had the ntoe 3 and note 4 edge, never try to put my stick in backwards ever.

But this is just putting it in just a little to good lol...
I do worry that the clicker on the spend will go out it and it will be hard to remove but never thought it would just get stuck from pressing it in to hard.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)